PDA

View Full Version : Gas cylinders. Buyers guide?

bonesxl1100
12-27-2012, 7:23 AM
Looking to get a gas cylinder for my hobart handler 140 mig and was just wondering what info would help in my shopping? Buy new, used if i can find one, or rent? What size bottle do i really need? I wont be welding everyday. Just shit here and there. Chopper related, shit around the house, etc...

Theres a gts welco near me for weldng supply. I also hear that tractor supply does bottles too?

bonesxl1100
12-27-2012, 9:35 AM
Disregard. I just went to a local welding supply and got a full #2 bottle for $165 before tax and hazmat fee. Thats about the price i was getting at a couple different places.

VPNick
12-27-2012, 9:47 AM
Disregard. I just went to a local welding supply and got a full #2 bottle for $165 before tax and hazmat fee. Thats about the price i was getting at a couple
different places.

i ended up doing that too

Reid
12-27-2012, 5:01 PM
I bought one (tig) in the city where I work, and another (mig) in the town where I live from different companies. It turns out that they dont simply swap out other companies bottles, so keep in mind where and when you might need a refill

ibuiltmine
12-27-2012, 6:36 PM
Holy shit! A #2 bottle is the size of my coffee cup. my first bottle I got a brand new 250cf large Argon bottle straight from Arigas for 200 bucks! I have since then bought another 300cf Argon and two 300cf 75 25 (for the tig) for 250 each. Just get an old used one and trade it in. Where are you in the country? The guy I get mine can get you one at any airgas for about my price.

bonesxl1100
12-27-2012, 8:24 PM
Im in PA. I thought it seemed high but that seems to be the going rate.

ibuiltmine
12-28-2012, 4:40 PM
Im in PA. I thought it seemed high but that seems to be the going rate.
damn. if you were anywhere from like Kansas to cali I could hook you up. Airgas's network is a whoel diferent company back east them ours out here. Just look on CL. Doesnt matter what shape it is, or what gas it is or nothing. Jsut as long as its a normal gas bottle Airgas will exchange it for you. Worse case is you have to pay to have it hydro tested. for like 30 bucks or something. Swaping is the way to go. you own the bottle, and get a new bottle every time you swap. unless you got soemthing cool.

My Argon bottle is stamped with a swastica and its first date is like 06 of 43! Then my other bottle is dated 44 and is stamped US Navy. Pretty cool having the two opposing forces. I make them refill those ones for me. I get them back.