PDA

View Full Version : Riding cross country...

GeorgeS
12-27-2012, 2:49 AM
Im thinking about taking a ride cross country when I return from Afghanistan next year aound September-ish. Looking at taking the southern route (I10) from Savannah, GA to San Diego, CA. Looking at taking my time, not trying to push as far as I can go fast as I can go but still getting there in a reasonable timeframe. My question is, who has made the trip, how long did it take and what would you have done differently if you were to do it again. Oh, and if anyone wants to roll part or all of the way, throw your name in, maybe we can make a time of it!

punkrod
12-27-2012, 6:56 PM
Ive done san diego to baltimore via I40 in 5 days, (haulin ass). It's a good interstate run, easy and fast. I'm more partial to slower alternate routes but we had a tight schedule on that trip. September should be okay weatherwise but it'll be hot, mostly from Texas, through New Mexico and Arizona so I'd plan to ride very early morning and chill out in the afternoons at the hotel pool.

heretic530
12-27-2012, 7:10 PM
I have ridden from Northern CA, to the Datona Beach Rally three times. I took a week each direction... I ride fast, but there comes a time when your butt is tired of the bike, and it is just not worth putting more miles on it.

this does not apply if you are on a goldwing, or a new bagger, but if you do not have that windshield it does take more out of you

xllance
12-27-2012, 7:53 PM
Haven't ran that whole stretch but you might consider I-20 for starters, then split up US 287 in Ft. Worth to Amarillo, and hop on I-40 there. I-40 through Oklahoma is a rough bitch !

GeorgeS
12-27-2012, 9:27 PM
Just re read my post... I meant to say the 10 (southern route), not the 40. I do hate how long it takes to get through Texas.

Brendden
12-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Stop by at Cowboy harley and say whatsup, we're right on I-10, oh and if you have a hardtail sit on a pillow through lousianna, or you might end up shooting blanks.

Jetblack
12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
I've done I-40 start from Wilmington, NC to San Fransico just shy of 48 hours, just stopped for fill ups and about two 5 hour bunk on my ears, at rest stops, one in West Mephis and one in New Mexico. Taking your time is a good thing; I seem to start feeling like a humming bird floating around the gas stations, after about 16 hours on and off just long enough to fill up or take a piss.

I-10 is a nice trip; I prefer it over I-40; leaving florida heading West always seems way less traffic wise, than in bound East.

Watch out for possums and fucking amadillos...and no the white mice spinning in circles and chipmunk looking fuckers you see in Arizona scooting around on the roads are not your imagination.

planningoncrashing
12-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Anything beats taking I-40 cross country, but the 10 might be even hotter.

Closest I've ever done to that was LA to east TN, but it was August, so I went via Nebraska to avoid the heat. Took four days, counting a tire change in Colorado that ate a whole day. Five days without the tire change or the detour might actually be comfortable. Burning interstate, 500 mile days aren't too bad unless the bike just beats the hell out of you. The downside is, you might find yourself covering 500 miles by early afternoon and be bored.

Heat in the south is tough, especially in August, but September is no treat either. Out west, stay hydrated, cover up, and keep your clothes wet and you can make it through pretty nasty stuff. Worst I've ridden through was 116, which felt like a furnace coming through my helmet vents, but with a wet sweater and ice in my jacket pockets, it wasn't much worse than 105. In the south though, the humidity defeats every attempt to keep yourself cool. Sometimes I just have to stop somewhere with A/C and cool down.