PDA

View Full Version : No speedo?

whiteknuckles
12-26-2012, 9:54 PM
So I took my speedo and tach off my sportster and I never realized how much I looked at it when I rode. Now he is my weird question(s). I'm not a huge fan of police so how do you fellow ccers judge your speed and speeding tickets. Also I've recently moved and I was wonder if the set up will hinder me from retagging my ride here in Florida. Over and out

DirtyCracker
12-26-2012, 10:06 PM
fuck no..they'll let ya ride anything in florida...as for judging speed, a cops radar works pretty well..haha

904Punk
12-26-2012, 10:10 PM
No inspections in Florida, never had a problem in Jax with no speedo on my bikes. I generally just ride a little faster than traffic, you get used to it real quick. Carful if you ride out in Jax beach a lot, cops out there are usually real quick to pull people over.

whiteknuckles
12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice, I spend most of my time in jax beach

ampzz
12-26-2012, 10:12 PM
If cars are passing you, you're going too slow. If you're passing cars, you're going too fast.

Aside from that, find somewhere that have a buddy who has a speedo ride with you and give you hand signals every time you hit a 10mph increment and then remember what gear you're in and the sound of the revs. I know that 4th gear on mine at a comfortable number of revs is roughly 40mph. You'll get the feel for it pretty quick.

Also, those radar boxes that say display how fast you're going are pretty handy. FInd one of those and ride past it a bunch.

904Punk
12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Don't think they'll hassle you for the no speedo, turn signals, ect, but they usually like to get hand out a lot of speeding tickets though. Just don't ride too crazy out there is my advice. I don't ride to Daytona but I've heard a ton of stories of people getting wallpapered out there for bikes not having shit, apes too high and stuff like that, just a heads up.

whiteknuckles
12-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah, Daytona isn't really my scene. I'm not a dentist with time off and a 60k occ bike. I can barely get off to ride and camp

nunez8853
12-26-2012, 10:38 PM
1st 0-5
2nd- 5-20
3rd 20-40
4th 40-50
5th 50- 200

thats what I go by i memorized it in my car(i drive stick) it might not be the exact same but its close enough to not get a ticket

DirtyCracker
12-26-2012, 10:43 PM
as long as you dont ride like a total fuckwad you'll be fine at the beach..ive lived in jax 32yrs and lived in jax bch for 10+ and only got one ticket and that was for no endorsement...and ive never got an equipment violation in Duval County..

whiteknuckles
12-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks all for the input and advice, it was spur of the moment and it cleaned up my bar view. This is why this website is killer. Next I'm hard tailing it, ripping the horn off, springer front etc

Bandersnatch
12-26-2012, 11:26 PM
In town....just ride a lil faster than traffic, and make sure you're behind the cop, not the other way around.

Honestly, when you had a speedo........did you do the speed limit?

And out of town.....
55mph....................count to 3 one-thousand between telephone poles.
45mph....................4 one-thousand.

And there is a little wiggle room.
I think local cops will pull you over if you're doing 10 over in a 55.

State will pull you over for 15 over......."ish".

So just get used to the sound your bike should make, don't PASS cops, and look twice before you do something stupid.

NIGHTTIGER666
12-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Tie a bandana to your handlebars.

backwithabang
12-26-2012, 11:58 PM
If you ride a rigid. Usually 70 is when your bike starts shaking like Michael j fox

SeaChicken
12-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Mine has the Biltwell struts and at about 70+ on the 883 it feel like the thing is comming apart, and more times than not it is.

whiteknuckles
12-27-2012, 1:28 AM
man, im rocking a 97 sportster swing arm, at 60 it feels like its ripping apart. thats my next project

Salty
12-27-2012, 2:06 AM
speedos are the worst... haven't had one for over a year and it feels great. after awhile you'll get used to it no problem.

Hooligan80
12-27-2012, 4:10 AM
So I took my speedo and tach off my sportster and I never realized how much I looked at it when I rode. Now he is my weird question(s). I'm not a huge fan of police so how do you fellow ccers judge your speed and speeding tickets. Also I've recently moved and I was wonder if the set up will hinder me from retagging my ride here in Florida. Over and out

Do you have an iPhone?

NGH450
12-27-2012, 7:44 AM
I was worried about not having one for a little while and would use my android phone with a speed app to track not just speed but distance too. it worked out nice. but now i dont have that phone anymore and just pay it by ear in 6th gear. you get used to it fast.

Knuckleduster
12-27-2012, 8:18 AM
In town....just ride a lil faster than traffic, and make sure you're behind the cop, not the other way around.

Honestly, when you had a speedo........did you do the speed limit?

And out of town.....
55mph....................count to 3 one-thousand between telephone poles.
45mph....................4 one-thousand.

And there is a little wiggle room.
I think local cops will pull you over if you're doing 10 over in a 55.

State will pull you over for 15 over......."ish".

So just get used to the sound your bike should make, don't PASS cops, and look twice before you do something stupid.

Here in OK we have ZERO tolerance, they(OCPD, Sheriff, OHP) will jack you up for 1 over, anything 10- 20 over significantly affects the price, 20+ over is wreck less endangerment, and = jail/impound.

bigdaddy
12-27-2012, 8:31 AM
Do you have an iPhone?

most smart phones have an app you can download. a good gps will also work. You can even get them on a really good gps watch. i've never used the gps thing, but i'm thinking about doing it on my race kart. i'm gonna play around with my gear ratio, and i think that my gps will work well for that. now, you might argue that a big gps hanging off the bike is just as ugly as the speedo, and perhaps you're right. however, the gps would make that easier. as for the smart phone, i'm not sure how guys use those. i'm sure they have some kind of mount, which again, might be kinda ugly.

bigdaddy
12-27-2012, 8:44 AM
here's one. i don't have any idea if this is a good one, but i thought i'd show you what i was talking about. there are guys on here that use some similar to this one. i know because i've talked with them about their watches. this might seem a bit spendy, but i'd bet one ticket will be about this much. two tickets will certainly be more.

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5K615F5-GPS-Bike-Computer/dp/B00662S1HU/ref=sr_1_20?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1356619290&sr=1-20

904Punk
12-27-2012, 8:46 AM
Zip tie and otter box can mount a phone real easy and that simple to take right back off. I don't keep one hooked up but one night I took the kz1000(don't ride it nearly as much as the shovel) out riding with a friend, I flew past him because he was riding slow as balls. When we got to the bar I asked him what was wrong and he said he was going over 80 when I blew by him and I was doing well over 100, so I hooked the phone up to get reacquainted with the kz's speed.

tattoo2303
12-27-2012, 9:38 AM
i was in the same boat as you a couple years ago, it hasnt gotten any easier! im a terrible judge of my speed other than i know i prefer it in the mid 70s and that doesnt fly anywhere.

on EDR 2011 i was turned onto the garmin forerunner, its a gps watch used for running and bicycling, works slick! i set it up so speed is biggest, than i have the time and miles traveled under it smaller, the early one i have takes one AAA battery so i typically carry a couple spares with me, but the newer models use a lithium ion like a cell phone and recharge. ive been very happy with mine so far and you wouldnt believe how many calories ive burned!! :clap for you:

VPNick
12-27-2012, 9:45 AM
have been without a speedo for about 3 years now and i dnot even think about it anymore. As far as speeding I am in San Diego so most people are rolling around doing atleast 70 on the highway, some CHP officer came in to brief us on holiday drinkng and drivign and he said that you can be doing 80 with traffic and generally you will not get pulled over...its when you are flying ahead of traffic and weaving in and out of lanes. I have never been pulled over my the cops here and that is with no speedo, signals, jockey shift, so plenty of reasons to get pulled over but nothing yet.

Drewwoods
12-27-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm in Jax and never had any problems. if you keep up with traffic and don't ride like an idiot you'll be alright.

OlDirtyTrousers
12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Why take off your speedo then figure a mount for your iphone? Nah. I havent had a speedo on any bike for over three years - you get used to it.

Brendden
12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I've never had a speedo ever on a bike. And I like it that way, when you going 55 in a 70 cause 2 cars chicks on phones are texting side by side you dont even care. Way more relaxing.

whiteknuckles
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
The GPS stuff is a great idea but I doubt ill use it. I like the idea of going at my at my own speed.

followsatan
12-27-2012, 1:38 PM
I've just rode with other friends and followed their lead as far as speed went to try and get used to it. All it's made me realize is that I tend to go about 20mph too fast on my own haha. It probably doesn't help that I always speed when I drive a car too though.

backwithabang
12-27-2012, 2:41 PM
I never had a speedo either and I think I am way more relaxed driving as a previous post mentioned. I'm more just trying to blend in and watch traffic more. You are way more aware and calm then knowing you are going 50 on the highway behind some old lady or something because you are looking at your tach and speedo. I had it down by gears pretty good as someone mentioned too but recently went to a 244-1 4 speed tranny. Now I rarely go past second unless I'm on the highway. Just go out with your friends with a speedo and remember the engine sound or the shakes at certain speeds. You'll learn the engine

Eastwood
12-27-2012, 6:23 PM
I use a fortrex 401 gps unit and it does a great job telling me how fast in going but I mainly use it to track my mileage between fill ups.

OhioFlameThrower
12-27-2012, 7:23 PM
Give it a little time and you will become very comfortably riding guage-free. I was very skittish when I first removed mine... but now I'd never go back.

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com