PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Carb

Sportcafe
12-26-2012, 11:05 AM
My dad has an 84 Tour Glide. He says is the first year of the Evo, but I see lots of other posts that say this bike had a Shovelhead in it, which is correct? This last spring the bike was running really rough, took it to the local harley mechanic and they told him his carburetor was worn out and that it would need to be replaced. It was so worn out that it couldn't be rebuilt. Kind of makes sense since he just rolled 100K on the stock motor.

Now they are telling him that harley does not carry any stock carburetors for his model. Does anyone know what the best aftermarket one would be which would come already setup for his stock bike or where he could find a replacement stock one?

What kind of carburetor was the stock one anyways? I have a CV carb from my 89 sportster sitting in a box, could he use that one if it was the only option?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your time
Jeremy

Buellbomb
12-26-2012, 11:16 AM
It would work but require new cables, I think. And intake manifold.

maxcapacity
12-26-2012, 11:30 AM
My dad has an 84 Tour Glide. He says is the first year of the Evo, but I see lots of other posts that say this bike had a Shovelhead in it, which is correct? This last spring the bike was running really rough, took it to the local harley mechanic and they told him his carburetor was worn out and that it would need to be replaced. It was so worn out that it couldn't be rebuilt. Kind of makes sense since he just rolled 100K on the stock motor.

Now they are telling him that harley does not carry any stock carburetors for his model. Does anyone know what the best aftermarket one would be which would come already setup for his stock bike or where he could find a replacement stock one?

What kind of carburetor was the stock one anyways? I have a CV carb from my 89 sportster sitting in a box, could he use that one if it was the only option?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your time
Jeremy

84 was the first year for the Evo but buyers could choose to get either a Shovel or the new Evo motor. I guess that was the Mo Co's way of hedging their bets. In either case, they would have both come with a Keihn butterfly style carb. It's true you're not going to get one of those from your local dealer unless they just happen to have an NOS unit left on the shelf. The CV will work, but you would have to switch manifolds the the later Evo CV manifold. It's a direct swap and the easiest way to go. There are adapters available in the aftermarket which convert the old style manifold to accept the CV throat, but for what you would spend on that, and additional brackets to hold everything in place you could just buy a good used Evo CV manifold.

The other option is to find a good used Keihn butterfly carb. You'll want the late style, something marked with 81 or later (if the tag is still on it) because you need the VOES port for that bike. If you're looking at one w/o a tag just make sure it has the VOES vacumn port on the top just behind the flange.

Sportcafe
12-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the information. I have the original intake and cables from the sportster I can send him. Do you have any recommendations as to which aftermarket one would suit his needs (S&S, Zenith, Mikuni, maybe Edelbrock)?

Jeremy

maxcapacity
12-26-2012, 12:58 PM
The sportster intake isn't going to work on the Big Twin. I doubt the cables will either.