PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Fender Chopping Suggestions?

HFMC
12-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Day after tomorrow, I'll be helping my daughter chop the rear fender on her Sporty. I'm using a die grinder with a metal cutting disc, and I'll be cutting off the very bottom of the fender to use as a template for the final cut. My plan is to draw the line, cut close with the cutting wheel, then remove the fender and use the bench grinder to clean it up.

I've done a search on here, read the threads, looked at the photos, and even watched a video on YouTube. I've cut to trailer type fenders before, but this is my first attempt at cutting a regular curved fender. Those of you who have daughters know what kind of hell I'll endure if I foul this up! Any last minute suggestions, tips, or tricks I should know? Anything is appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Jetblack
12-24-2012, 11:56 AM
A nice strip of masking tape along the edge of the intended cut keeps my cuts like that straighter than just a magic marker line, a line has two sides and a middle. When the tape just has that one edge; as a fence to not cross.

purerockfury
12-24-2012, 12:02 PM
A nice strip of masking tape along the edge of the intended cut keeps my cuts like that straighter than just a magic marker line, a line has two sides and a middle. When the tape just has that one edge; as a fence to not cross.

i usually mark it out with a marker as it's easy to clean off and start over but as stated when i figure out where and how i want to cut it i tape it off, gives you a nice straight line to follow as stated above!

nate00
12-24-2012, 12:07 PM
I used a skill saw with a metal blade. cut like butter and didnt screw up the paint at all. and it was easier to make the curves with. i finished off with some door trim molding from autozone.

planningoncrashing
12-24-2012, 1:01 PM
Mark where you want the fender cut, then apply a thick patch of tape to the end of the fender you plan to use as a template. Cut the tape template even with the edge of the fender, then remove it as a single piece and apply it to the fender where you marked. Use a cut-off wheel to cut to the template. The tape will give you a clean line, it's a lot easier than trying to draw a line from a rigid template, and it offers a little bit of protection for the paint you're keeping.

LinkBelt
12-24-2012, 1:32 PM
After you cut it close to your line, use a file not a bench grinder. By using a file you leave less room for error and if you make an error it'll be easyer to fix.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

mrcoffee
12-24-2012, 2:01 PM
When I did my initial cut, I taped the entire area off on both sides before using a single strip of tape to mark my cut. I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to make the cut, and a palm sander to clean it up. I had no paint chipping and clean lines.

-m

TheBooger
12-25-2012, 7:26 PM
also, when you tape your line, put the tape on the side that you are keeping. that keeps the paint a little nicer if youre trying to go without repainting the whole thing and I always end up with a better cut than if I tape the other side of the line.

HFMC
12-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Thank you all for the tips. I got the fender cut with the metal cutting wheel, then put my daughter to work with hand files to clean it up and get the lines she wanted. I took it apart for paint, which brought me to another question.

I took the fender off without taking the rear wheel off. I had a hell of a time getting the bolt out that bolts the front of the rear fender to the frame. How am I going to get that bolt back in after paint? Do I have to take the rear wheel off? Its a stock frame 2002 Sporty.

Second question, that black plastic piece that's riveted to the front of the rear fender. Do I need that? Has anyone left it off? I saved it, so I can rivet it back on, but it seems like it would look better without it

LinkBelt
12-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah, your probably going to need to remove the back wheel. This will make it easy to put the fender back on and void the risk of fucking up the new paint or the hard work you and your daughter put into it. You can leave the black plastic off if it serves no purpose besides looks.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Buellbomb
12-27-2012, 5:24 AM
If you have a jack, you can take the lower shock bolts out and jack it up enough to get to those bolts.

enzoline
12-27-2012, 8:29 AM
I had that very problem last week when I was trying to remove my rear fender on my Sporty. I ended up having to cut the bolt with my sawzall. Before I put it back on I welded a nut to the underside of the fender with my little flux-core. Now I don't have to worry about holding back on that bottom nut. If you don't have a welder maybe you could try JB weld.

enzoline
12-27-2012, 8:33 AM
Second question, that black plastic piece that's riveted to the front of the rear fender. Do I need that? Has anyone left it off? I saved it, so I can rivet it back on, but it seems like it would look better without it

That mud-gaurd is important. Keeps all sorts of shit from hitting the back of the motor.

HFMC
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I had that very problem last week when I was trying to remove my rear fender on my Sporty. I ended up having to cut the bolt with my sawzall. Before I put it back on I welded a nut to the underside of the fender with my little flux-core. Now I don't have to worry about holding back on that bottom nut. If you don't have a welder maybe you could try JB weld.

I was thinking of trying the JB weld. Even if it lets loose later, it should hold long enough for me to get the nut tightened first. I REALLY don't want to take off the wheel. I may try the motorcycle jack with the shocks disconnected though. My daughter has skinny arms, so that might work.

I was thinking removing that mud guard might make a big mess under there, but we do live in San Diego, so we don't really have much foul weather.

Thanks for the advice.

HFMC
12-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I'll post a few pictures in a couple weeks when it's back from paint for anyone who is interested. I didn't cut it too short, about halfway between the old taillight hole and the license plate mounting holes. Having the license plate holes filled before paint.

Motorradfahrer
12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Pictures always make a thread better.

If you don't want to take off the wheel just follow Buellbomb's advice. You'll have plenty of room to work with.