PDA

View Full Version : 'nother stupid question, FXDX bike wont start

SingSing
12-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Well as some of you all may kno me n the OL took a tight spill the other week. Crash bar got tweaked on my FXDX. No other real damage done. Firm believer in the crashbar aesthetic $$. Ok, so my bike is currently being garaged in a "heated" building basement garage. No engine damage as there really wasnt any contact with the pavement due to the crashbar. No leakage anywhere. Still got 3/4 tank of gas. Battery still has life. Lights, blinkers, hi/low beams all good. I got up this morning to start her up (electric start, carb, twin cam) and gave her just a bit'a gas to coax her to life. I admit she was alseep for the past week or so in which it did get real cold thru the nights. But she wont kick. I hear her chuggin n tryin to get started but she wont. A few more attempts and I risk killin the battery. She got new plugs and a new battery early this past season. New Bendix installed last season. Dont see any problematic visuals with the regulator. I tried goin from Regular to reserve just to see. No result. She still wont take that spark and kick to life. Tryin to avoid payin the c-note towing bill to the indy. Can u wrench monkeys gimme some advice? Thanks. Could it be the cold?:confused:

Knuckleduster
12-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Perhaps the battery is low, having enough charge to spin it over a bit, but not enough to give it the spark it needs to fire up? Just a thought.

SingSing
12-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Bendix done 6 months ago. Sparks done in October. HD battery installed early season (Carbs approx June '12). carbs cleaned Oct/12, Valves adjusted, clutch adjusted fluids topped off all in Oct/12. New Breather hoses installed 3 months ago....????????

SingSing
12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Perhaps the battery is low, having enough charge to spin it over a bit, but not enough to give it the spark it needs to fire up? Just a thought.

Thanks Knuck...yeah im thinkin time for Santa to bring me a new battery...any other things I could check before the Indy rapes me without vaseline?

nunez8853
12-23-2012, 11:20 AM
does the motor turn? like when you press start you hear everything spin if thats the case you can leave the battery out

3 thing to make a motor run

spark: ignition module- voltage regulator-stator
fuel: do you have gas, no kinked lines, vented, vacume
air: carb have YOU looked at it since the wreck maybe clogged jet, the bowl wont fill??

all these are just ideas and things that have happened to me in the past

have you tested for spark yet?

SingSing
12-23-2012, 11:35 AM
does the motor turn? like when you press start you hear everything spin if thats the case you can leave the battery out

3 thing to make a motor run

spark: ignition module- voltage regulator-stator
fuel: do you have gas, no kinked lines, vented, vacume
air: carb have YOU looked at it since the wreck maybe clogged jet, the bowl wont fill??

all these are just ideas and things that have happened to me in the past

have you tested for spark yet?

Yeah. im headed out right now...nothin seems to be be rotten in denmark so to speak...im gonna go oput right now n pull the plugs and run her a bit maybe the plugs are fouled?

ibuiltmine
12-23-2012, 11:39 AM
spray some carb cleaner down its throat to help it out. Might have knocked some crap loose and plugged up a jet.

maastokuvio
12-23-2012, 11:48 AM
I didn't see this suggested above, so here goes nothing:

1) if you have a killswitch in your bike, check the connections
2) check the coil that it gives spark

Hope this helps.

SingSing
12-23-2012, 3:44 PM
FUCK MY MUTHA!!!!! Jjust spent 140 on a new battery. New plugs! The damn thing STILL wont fuckin kick over!!! I hear her chuggin especially with the new battery but she wont give in!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im busted, disgusted this fuckin bike cant be trusted!!!

Everything checks out. Strong current, new plugs, batt,3/4 tank full!! Im a broke as a joke n my shit wont start!!! FUCK ME!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bangh ead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bangh ead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bangh ead::banghead::banghead:

maxcapacity
12-23-2012, 3:56 PM
Have you checked to be sure you are actually getting spark? New plugs won't do you any good if the ignitions system is compromised. If the motor turns over but doesn't fire, I would start with the ignition. Verify the plugs are actually firing.

Another thought: I mess with old stuff moslty but if you have a later model (it's a TC so I assume it's at least a 99) you might have an inertia switch. An inertia switch shut's down the ignition so the bike doesn't keep running after you drop it / lay it down. If you have factory manual or even your owners manual you might check into that. If you have one, you'll need to locate it and reset it before the bike will start.

purerockfury
12-23-2012, 4:16 PM
An inertia switch shut's down the ignition so the bike doesn't keep running after you drop it / lay it down. If you have factory manual or even your owners manual you might check into that. If you have one, you'll need to locate it and reset it before the bike will start.

^^^ this, i"m the same way mostly mess with older stuff but some bikes do have these...

then as stated check the spark...

then try squirting some starting fluid or ether in the carb, if it runs for a second and dies you need to clean your carb...

Sky
12-23-2012, 4:51 PM
If the oil sumped and/or its cold the crank has a hard time going through the thick oil. Starter has to work harder, and electronic ignitions don't fire till the third rev anyway.
Trickle chargers are your friend.
Are the plugs wet with fuel? can you smell unburned gas in the exhaust?
Pull a plug, ground the threads and see if you have spark or no. Don't shock yourself or light the fuel/air charge that should be coming out the hole.
If you pull both plugs and spin the engine over with the starter it wont have to fight compression, and can pump out any oil in the lower end. (put a catch pan under the breather).
Report back

SingSing
12-23-2012, 4:54 PM
Thanks Sky...the bike is all covered up now in the garage next building nearby so i will try that tommorow after work. if it works I will send you a pretty cool vest i got advertised here on CC...on me.

Knuckleduster
12-23-2012, 5:46 PM
FUCK MY MUTHA!!!!! Jjust spent 140 on a new battery. New plugs! The damn thing STILL wont fuckin kick over!!! I hear her chuggin especially with the new battery but she wont give in!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im busted, disgusted this fuckin bike cant be trusted!!!

Everything checks out. Strong current, new plugs, batt,3/4 tank full!! Im a broke as a joke n my shit wont start!!! FUCK ME!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bangh ead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bangh ead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bangh ead::banghead::banghead:

Fuck, now I feel kinda bad for suggesting it was a low battery, I was hoping you had a charger or another battery laying around to troubleshoot with. It's got to be something simple, bad ground somewhere or something maybe? I dunno, but I bet when you get it fingered out, you'll laugh about it for a good while :) Best of luck with 'er !

nmaineron
12-23-2012, 6:01 PM
I would take the plugs out and try and turn her over to get her loosened up some.You may have sumped a bit, combine that and cold and she will give trouble.Just make sure you battery is up to full charge.I live in Maine and when we have a cold snap and I haven't started her in a while she really drags hard.When it is warm she hardly needs a flop to start but add the cold and she turns into a bitch.

RODMAN58
12-23-2012, 6:06 PM
Drain the fuel, add fresh fuel. Follow the step above and make sure the bottom is not sumped. and check to see if the plugs are firing when you do it. If you got fire the bike should run.

ibuiltmine
12-23-2012, 8:05 PM
did you try a little carb cleaner squirting down the throat?

maxcapacity
12-23-2012, 9:17 PM
Have you checked to be sure you are actually getting spark? New plugs won't do you any good if the ignitions system is compromised. If the motor turns over but doesn't fire, I would start with the ignition. Verify the plugs are actually firing.

Another thought: I mess with old stuff moslty but if you have a later model (it's a TC so I assume it's at least a 99) you might have an inertia switch. An inertia switch shut's down the ignition so the bike doesn't keep running after you drop it / lay it down. If you have factory manual or even your owners manual you might check into that. If you have one, you'll need to locate it and reset it before the bike will start.

BTW, I did a little research and in Harley nomenclature this is referred to as a Bank Angle Sensor. The reset procedure is to cycle the ignition to on but don't crank it, then cycle it back on to attempt to start. Even if that doesn't work, if you're not getting spark this could be the culprit. It could have gotten jarred out of position or come loose.

ThePete
12-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Had a similar problem with my fxdx Gyna, battery terminal was jumping across to the frame. It would click, turn and then not start. I pulled the battery and moved the wiring around a bit pulled all the connectors apart cleaned them up and added some dielectric gel to them before reassembly and the problem went away. These kind of things are what I first check out before jumping to the conclusion of a component having gone bad and its worked out the last 5 bikes we've owned EVERY time but 1 when it actually was the battery (cheap Walmart one).

ibuiltmine
12-24-2012, 11:10 AM
is it EFI?
spark + fuel = run.
1 pull the plugs and verify spark
has spark go to step 2
No spark - fix it
2 spray carb cleaner in carb and crank it
if it fires up- fix fuel problem

FXDXJimmy
12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Had a similar problem with my fxdx Gyna, battery terminal was jumping across to the frame. It would click, turn and then not start. I pulled the battery and moved the wiring around a bit pulled all the connectors apart cleaned them up and added some dielectric gel to them before reassembly and the problem went away. These kind of things are what I first check out before jumping to the conclusion of a component having gone bad and its worked out the last 5 bikes we've owned EVERY time but 1 when it actually was the battery (cheap Walmart one).

Mine did the same thing. The neg battery terminal bolt would back itself out over time.

Check your connections.

ibuiltmine
12-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Mine did the same thing. The neg battery terminal bolt would back itself out over time.

Check your connections.

lik eit was giving jusice to teh starter, but not giving a steady clean voltage to the ecu or ignition? awesome.
He said he just put a new battery in it.

Jetblack
12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
If any kill/nanny switches are good. You possibly had or still have hydro lock, that seeped gas into the crankcase. Pull your dip stick and hold a match or lighter to it if it ignites, you have gas in your oil; from the spill. You might want to check for intake leaks, if you pull a plug and it's wet...just for shits pull the plugs and crank it, if gas shoots out the cylinders hydro lock. It's also possible besides a nanny switch wire being knocked loose, or that the float got stuck and it just keeps dumping fuel...it's also quite possible the tank vent got clogged...you can try it with the cap open to vent the tank...to make the pet flow if it is clogged. Don't forget the choke to help suck gas into the carbs and cylinders.

When a bike goes down any fuel and fluids went the what ever side and lowest spot they could settle, and the jar when going down can shoot it in unexpected places...and the longer it was down the more lopsided fuels and lubricants get...oil tries to come past the rings, fuel tries to go past the rings, and escape out of any passage along the way to settling. Any wires under tension can snap or pop free at a connection, or ground if pinched by the tank, battery box, bar switches...etc.

Fortunately, the more time it spends up right, the more shit can drain back where it belongs or evaporate off. Gas goes bad fast so that's the worst to just sit. Your best bet is to pull the carb treat it like a standard cleaning and adjustment like you would after sitting over winter...new fluids etc., check the filter. Then if a no go and nothing evident; run down all the electrical.

The worst part about going down for a bike is trying to figure out what system got effected; when there's a whole chain...that's why treating it like a seasonal tune up is a good course; it covers most affected areas.

BrokenSprocketGarage
12-24-2012, 12:51 PM
OK, couple things to look at. This bike is equipped with a bank angle sensor, located behind the left side electrical box cover. It is nothing more than a steel ball bearing that rests in a v shaped contact. When the bike falls over, the ball rolls out and the sensor no longer has continuity, thusly cutting off spark when bike is laying on its side. Given age of bike, there could be corrosion in the contacts, or the ball, or it needs to be reset. Bottom line to check it is with a continuity check on your voltmeter.

Have you checked for spark???!!

Also you need to reset the TSSM if equipped. I dont recall if that year had security though. You can do this by toggling key switch with kill switch OFF. ON/off/on/off/on, leave it on and see if check engine light comes on. If no light; crank engine, full choke, throttle closed, gas turned on. Engine must crank for gas to flow from tank to carb because it has a vacuum operated petcock.

You must verify spark and fuel flow, then report back!

DirtyCracker
12-24-2012, 12:59 PM
seriously..check for spark..i mean come on..who spends $140 on a battery and plugs without checkin basics first....what a waste...

SingSing
12-25-2012, 11:42 AM
YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!!!! Thabnks dudes!! I ended up clearin her throat with some Carb Cleaner...glad i didnt have to go all the way and dissasemble the carb and play with the manifold etc..you are ALL WELCOME to swing by my place n BANG MY SISTER....This is a damn good forum. Not like that other place _D Forums where its populated by assholes n smartazz asshats. Peace all. Im still gettin a Honda next time 'round fer sure..ibuiltmyown n MaxCap u got a round of Jeager shots on me.
Peace in da middle east!
-SS

SingSing
12-25-2012, 11:44 AM
seriously..check for spark..i mean come on..who spends $140 on a battery and plugs without checkin basics first....what a waste...

Needed a new box anyway at the start of all this shit cuz my juice was dyin out anyway...as for "spark"..lol ask my OL who probably jumped back like thirty feet in the air..lol..."win/win" situation...needed to replace the fouled plugs and get a new sparkbox anyway..

ibuiltmine
12-25-2012, 11:45 AM
YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!!!! Thabnks dudes!! I ended up clearin her throat with some Carb Cleaner...glad i didnt have to go all the way and dissasemble the carb and play with the manifold etc..you are ALL WELCOME to swing by my place n BANG MY SISTER....This is a damn good forum. Not like that other place _D Forums where its populated by assholes n smartazz asshats. Peace all. Im still gettin a Honda next time 'round fer sure..
Peace in da middle east!
-SS

Occam's razor

ibuiltmine
12-25-2012, 11:46 AM
whats a spark box? you refereing to an igniton module? coil? battery?