PDA

View Full Version : shortening a tank?

xbmxxx
12-20-2012, 4:00 PM
Can someone link me to a how to or even some pics of the process? I picked up a coffin tank that's about 4 inches too long to fit the bike I want to use it on. Is cutting the back 4" off and making a new back part the only option?

It just has a squared off back like this one.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/images/RichardFordTanks2.jpg

indawaitinroom
12-20-2012, 5:04 PM
cut it at the widest part. carefully trim till it fits, and reweld at the center. otherwise the back section by the front of the seat is going to look real huge and tall.

Knuckleduster
12-20-2012, 5:54 PM
cut it at the widest part. carefully trim till it fits, and reweld at the center. otherwise the back section by the front of the seat is going to look real huge and tall.

True dat !

rooster52478
12-20-2012, 6:41 PM
If you take an even amount off both sides of the welded seam it should line right back up if you're careful. The biggest problem will be getting to close to the filler and running the risk of it looking funny. Of course you could always relocate it too.

indawaitinroom
12-20-2012, 7:09 PM
i beg to differ, because of the sharper angle towards the front of the tank, you are going to have to remove more metal from the backside of the weld. if you took an even amount off each they wont line up anymore.

baelzbub
12-21-2012, 8:44 AM
^What he said.

You'd probably be able to get the top and bottom planes to match up, but the sides would need to be reshaped. Is it like the tank on the left or the right of your pic? The one on the right has the severe angles that don't look like they would ever line up. The one on the left has more equal angles... but still not exact, but you might be able to get away with it, but it looks like you're going to end up with a tank much shorter than you want.

What you want to do is take exact measurements of each panel then cut them out of cardboard. tape it all together & then cut out what you want and see what matches up. Even with photoshop, it's hard to figure out what happens in 3D with a 2D picture.

baelzbub
12-21-2012, 8:46 AM
Hey, come ride with us tomorrow! I can show you what I mean with a bar napkin better than typing it out on the interwebs. Meeting up @ Bandimere Conoco @ 11:30am :cheersmate:

xbmxxx
12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey, come ride with us tomorrow! I can show you what I mean with a bar napkin better than typing it out on the interwebs. Meeting up @ Bandimere Conoco @ 11:30am :cheersmate:

I'll most likely be there. PM me your number. I'll have to break off at some point to do Xmas shopping and hit 2wheelers before they close, but I really need to get out of my house and make some fiends in the chop scene.

And thanks for the help everyone. When I actually measured I was going to have to lose 6" for it to sit down on the backbone and that wasn't going to happen, so I mounted it on top instead.

some1else
12-21-2012, 1:58 PM
or you could stretch the bike to fit the tank

xbmxxx
12-21-2012, 6:39 PM
or you could stretch the bike to fit the tank

Im still debating on the hardtail, can't decide between straightbacking it or a small drop seat. If I do the drop, itll sit down on the backbone, otherwise I'll just leave it up, it doesnt look too bad that way.