PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is spoke thread lube?

TroyFab
12-19-2012, 8:53 PM
Just wondering?

bobscogin
12-19-2012, 10:00 PM
It's a lubricant generally used to eliminate seizing of stainless nipples to stainless spokes. Buchanan's gives you a little bottle of it with each stainless spoke set but I prefer to use anti-seize paste.

Bob

ThePete
12-19-2012, 10:09 PM
A good bicycle shop will have spoke dope too, I prefer the Wheelsmith stuff. Don't worry about the color there's no difference, its just used to identify one side vs the other if the spoke lengths are different.

malloy
12-20-2012, 9:01 AM
i use a small dab of brake paste.. works great and I have an endless supply of it from work.

some1else
12-20-2012, 1:50 PM
zipper wax....it's used to wax zippers on survival suits on boats.as a lube and waterproofing..also good for speed dating

TroyFab
12-20-2012, 6:20 PM
Actually looking for what it is made of,not what it is used for. Is it a heavy grade oil or maybe a light grease.

bobscogin
12-20-2012, 7:44 PM
The stuff that Buchanan's sends with their spokes is yellowish clear lube with a viscosity about like hypoid gear oil. I'd think it is heavy on molybdenum. It comes in a plastic bottle like eye drops.

Bob

TroyFab
12-20-2012, 8:15 PM
The stuff that Buchanan's sends with their spokes is yellowish clear lube with a viscosity about like hypoid gear oil. I'd think it is heavy on molybdenum. It comes in a plastic bottle like eye drops.

Bob

Yup, that's the stuff I was talking about. Doesn't, have a sent to it really. I wonder if you can buy that in bigger bottles?

bobscogin
12-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Yup, that's the stuff I was talking about. Doesn't, have a sent to it really. I wonder if you can buy that in bigger bottles?

The only other thing I could add is to say contact Buchanan's and see if they'll tell you where they source it from.

Bob

longlivepunk
12-21-2012, 11:33 AM
A good bicycle shop will have spoke dope too, I prefer the Wheelsmith stuff. Don't worry about the color there's no difference, its just used to identify one side vs the other if the spoke lengths are different.

Have you tried the DT Swiss stuff? I've only used it once and even though I usually love their products (star-ratchet makes me wet), I wasn't a big fan.

It's an old-school style, but I'm actually a big fan of using boiled linseed oil (yeah, the shit you use on wood furniture). When it dries it acts as a thread-locker, but when you crack it it will actually have a pocket of still-wet oil inside that acts as a lubricant. Shit works great.