PDA

View Full Version : "California or bust" East Coaster Refugee Camp 2013

Bear
12-19-2012, 4:21 PM
Ok so here's the deal, me I'm riding to EDR come hell or high water, but then Born Free 5 is like a month later so I got to thinking... why the fuck am I gona ride all the way back east in between these events. Why not spend 30 days in Cali... seeing both these premier events on one crazy trip.

So where the hell am I gona stay for 30 days? Then it hit me there must be other "East Coast Refugee" types besides me and my usual riding brethren with the exact same dilemma that would do this right? Or at least a few bros that get these are very special times in motorcycling and its absolutely worth going rogue from the rat race to attend these 2 events.

So I'm pretty early in the planning stages and sort of thinking out loud. What I'm trying to do is find a campground relatively close to Orange County that we can use as a base camp for a month or find someone that owns a strip of desert that could be used as refuge for east coast bikers between EDR and Born Free 5. (Land would be left as found and I'm fine with paying rent or passing the hat)

Who knows this idea may come apart and I may just end up playing it by ear as I usually do but it sure seems like a cool way to bring some like minded folks together.
If you have land to offer up or some ideas about biker friendly camp grounds that aren't booked 3 years in advance with a dumb lottery system to get a spot... shoot me a pm.

P.S. Before I hear any belly achers ramble on about wishing I had your resources to do this... I get by sleeping in rest areas with a knife on my belt, and still have to work on my lap top while traveling... I may run a big enough parts biz but when all the hassles and over head are said an done I still only get by on average joe wages and sometimes less.

Just so its clear this thread is about planning a spot where guys can meet and come and go from between EDR and Born Free. I'm leaving from NYC and maybe we will do a departure party or something but this is not an organized run, just trying to set up base camp for 30 days between events.

I will say this though the epic east west trip is worth it and I recommend it to everyone. Here my to cents to instigate people "Taking an epic cross country trip has little to do with whats in your pocket and more to do with whats in your heart and the sac between your legs"

-Bear

http://newsletter.oldbikebarn.com/images/admin/Headers/EASTMEETSWEST.jpg

leoj
12-19-2012, 5:53 PM
Google Slab City, Niland CA - perfect for your needs and you can't beat the price.

Bear
12-19-2012, 6:03 PM
Google Slab City, Niland CA - perfect for your needs and you can't beat the price.
I seem to remember there being some issue with Slab City, I can't find the thread now but I'm sure Billdozer posted something about Slab City being a no go? Or the fuzz in that area being dicks after the Slab City Riot?

Ideally the most important shit is biker friendly, straight pipes welcome and tolerance for the odd topless chick by the fire (god willing). Its a pretty demanding curriculum for most "family" camp grounds so I'm thinking maybe finding a brother with some land to rent could work. -Bear

brooklynbomber
12-19-2012, 6:20 PM
Damn, this is my dream trip. For me it does matter whats in my pocket unfortunately. Bike wont get there on its own without gas... Plus you have the benefit of working from a mobile computer. This sounds like the best trip ever though! Have fun dude!

Bear
12-19-2012, 6:29 PM
Damn, this is my dream trip. For me it does matter whats in my pocket unfortunately. Bike wont get there on its own without gas... Plus you have the benefit of working from a mobile computer. This sounds like the best trip ever though! Have fun dude!

Brother I here you on fuel costs... I will say this though EDR is 5 months away, its all about priorities. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen. It takes planing and a sympathetic boss, old lady or willingness to change both when its done. Smart companies these days support employees on life changers like this (never hurts to try)

One thing I am sure of is time is the one irreplaceable commodity in life so just be careful to not be saying this is your "dream trip" for too many years. Respect -Bear

heretic530
12-19-2012, 6:39 PM
well shit... I guess I will throw my name in here. not going to be able to be away from work for a month though... Family has to come first

Bear
12-19-2012, 6:58 PM
well shit... I guess I will throw my name in here. not going to be able to be away from work for a month though... Family has to come first

Yeah I hear you and thats exactly why I plan to set it up more like a 30 day temp base camp and less like a run. That way we can do some day rides and we can have bros from around the country arriving and leaving on different days not having to try and find a moving circus.

Me I plan to do the full stretch in between EDR and BF5 but we can also accommodated guys that only have time hang around for a few days after EDR, early arrivals for BF5 and everything in between -Bear

HDG
12-19-2012, 7:31 PM
check out hostiles in the LA OC LB area. or state beachs i know you can have your trailer there for extended times not sure about tent camping. Check out the state beach/parks web site.
hope this is some help.

leoj
12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Slab City became an issue for bikers only because the feds who monitor that area (old bomiging range) got wind of hordes of father-raping mother stabbing biker types showing up for the Riot. This is a place where a lot of bohemian types and snow-birds winter every year. I'd have to say if you keep a low profile, mind your own business no one will give you a second look. There's also the State Park at Salton Sea available down the road - with the state budget what it is, it's rarely patrolled, and once again, a low profile goes a long way toward being unnoticed there also.

Check out Anza-Borrego Desert State Park - you're allowed to camp anywhere there provided you stay on the dirt roads to access your chosen site. Granted, you'll have to pack water to whereever you go there, but you can't beat the price.

DEADHEAD
12-20-2012, 12:23 PM
count me in