PDA

View Full Version : Piston cleaning

junkyardxl
12-18-2012, 9:26 PM
Hey i tried searching but found nothing. I picked up a set of 1200 pistons and jugs today but the pistons look like shit. Any one got any cleaning tips? The carbon build up is ridiculous.

punkrod
12-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Wire wheel on the tops only. Work from the center out. Scotch brite pad around the skirt. Go with the grain of the aluminum. If you have $$$. Just get new ones.

planningoncrashing
12-19-2012, 3:16 AM
Soak them in Pine Sol overnight. Wipe off any remaining carbon with a tooth brush. Worst-case, you may have to let them soak for a couple of days. Pine Sol soaks will take most gunk off of aluminum and stainless (it rusts mild steel pretty brutally, and I've seen it strip chrome and zinc platings off mild steel as well).

I prefer that to wire brushing, because wire brushing can mask pits and other defects that may be on the piston face.

Jetblack
12-19-2012, 3:55 AM
Soak them in Pine Sol overnight. Wipe off any remaining carbon with a tooth brush. Worst-case, you may have to let them soak for a couple of days. Pine Sol soaks will take most gunk off of aluminum and stainless (it rusts mild steel pretty brutally, and I've seen it strip chrome and zinc platings off mild steel as well).

I prefer that to wire brushing, because wire brushing can mask pits and other defects that may be on the piston face.

+1
This works great as a carb soak too; also it's rubber safe. Mixing it up using hot water is highly recommended.

Shacknasty
12-19-2012, 6:15 AM
Oven cleaner will clean carbon outta combustion chambers, melted boot soles offa exhaust pipes, etc., but don't get it on aluminum or paint...

planningoncrashing
12-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Oven cleaner will clean carbon outta combustion chambers, melted boot soles offa exhaust pipes, etc., but don't get it on aluminum or paint...

Very good point. Related: Don't soak iron or steel in Pine Sol, or it'll rust pretty spectacularly immediately after you remove it. Thick flash rust in a few seconds. It'll also eat a lot of thin platings, including chrome and zinc. Learned that lesson with some chromed wrist pins.

Oven cleaner on steel. Pine Sol on stainless and aluminum.