PDA

View Full Version : Sans front fender

jaime8083
12-17-2012, 11:18 AM
This is mainly directed towards So. Cal people, but any state that requires a front fender "by law" , I welcome your input. I'm thinking about running my bike without a front fender. Some areas are more strict than others. My question is, how many of you go without your front fender without getting sweated too much? For example, I've seen a lot of people go years with dark tint on their front windows with no problem but I had a Mustang with no front plate and got cited the 1st week. So what kind of flack should I expect if I do this?

jimg
12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I have been running with out one for about 2 yrs....and I live in Nazi town HB......no problems yet....

jaime8083
12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Now that right there is what I wanted to hear!

JamesM
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Just take it off. Keep it around just in case, but I've never ran a front fender on anything really and never have gotten any flack over it here in PA

gray
12-17-2012, 1:01 PM
I am in Costa Mesa and have never had an issue. I have gotten fix it tickets for blinkers, vertical license plate and such, but have never had an issue not running a front fender.

heretic530
12-17-2012, 1:11 PM
It is like anything else... enforcement comes down to discretion of the officer. If you are well known with the local officers, or your bike is seen at bars regularly, you are going to get hassled over it.

I don't know what you ride, but if it is clean, nice looking, and well taken care of, you are not going to attract the attention of a rat bike that looks like it might be owned by a tweeker.

interstatejoe
12-17-2012, 2:21 PM
I live in HB & never had an issue with the fender....loud pipes is a different story

NHMike
12-17-2012, 2:40 PM
Supposed to have them in NH, I've never ran them and have never had a problem. Even when I've been pulled over they never questioned the fact that I didn't have one.

Bdehlin
12-17-2012, 2:55 PM
I ran my vlx without a front fender for 4 years in L.A. and never had a problem.

jaime8083
12-17-2012, 3:27 PM
Thanks guys for the input. Very helpful. You guys made up my mind. I'm taking it off as soon as I get home. And as suggested, I'll keep it handy just in case. Here's what I'm on btw.

NoQueNO
12-17-2012, 5:56 PM
OH SHIT!!

Gray you scared the shit out of me. I'm here in Costa Mesa as well and well no blinkers, side mount plate as well plus no front fender.

Hummmm!!

spsgold
12-17-2012, 7:38 PM
I'm in fresno and here's what I've been runnin for a front fender........look close :D

ELmikeB
12-17-2012, 8:28 PM
I live in HB and work in Costa mesa. I've been hassled for everything but no front fender. Even had a cop threaten to impound my bike because I didn't have a speedometer in Costa mesa.

HFMC
12-17-2012, 9:29 PM
I've been riding without front fenders for 20 years in San Diego, and nobody has ever said anything. I didn't even know there was a law in CA that requires a front fender.

brooklynbomber
12-17-2012, 9:39 PM
I'm in fresno and here's what I've been runnin for a front fender........look close :D

Say YES to the NO! :clap for you:

bign
12-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I've been riding without front fenders for 20 years in San Diego, and nobody has ever said anything. I didn't even know there was a law in CA that requires a front fender.

I'm with you, 7 years no ont fender, little tiny turn signals unrest the trees, one mirror, and no speedo. Live in san CLEMENTE and run through H.B. Newport, Laguna etc on a regular basis. Nooooo problems ....... Yet.

jaime8083
12-18-2012, 10:22 AM

I didn't know either until I told a pro builder that I was building a chop and he asked if I was running one. I said no, didn't think I needed one. He informed that it is law in cali. I guessed it very enforced though, Which is good.

GeeRock
12-18-2012, 1:33 PM
No horn, signals, front fender, here on any of my bikes. But I live in a small town in Saskatchewan and I don't even really think the cops here know what to look for on bikes.

CraigWY
12-23-2012, 8:21 PM
I like riding with mine, but I have seen some guys that have chopped their front fender to make it less obnoxious (sp?). Tight bike dude.

Speakeasy
12-23-2012, 9:26 PM
been running mine without. luck me my bike is registered in md and not pa. stupid cop said he would have handed me about 3 repair orders and a nice size ticket for vertical tag.

ThePete
12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
No horn, signals, front fender, here on any of my bikes. But I live in a small town in Saskatchewan and I don't even really think the cops here know what to look for on bikes.

What do you expect for a place where you can watch your dog run away for three straight days before you loose sight of it. 😝

SamHain
12-24-2012, 4:01 PM
I've never known it to be required, until I see the vehicle code I'll continue to assume its not.

2stroketim
12-27-2012, 8:12 AM
Thanks guys for the input. Very helpful. You guys made up my mind. I'm taking it off as soon as I get home. And as suggested, I'll keep it handy just in case. Here's what I'm on btw.

Dude that ride is fuckin sweet - - leave the fender on man..

Brendden
12-27-2012, 5:14 PM
Dude that ride is fuckin sweet - - leave the fender on man..

Yep, leave it.