PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof glove shells?

TyroninFXR
12-15-2012, 9:25 PM
Anybody know of any waterproof shells I could just throw over my current gloves? It's hard for me to find gloves that fit, hands are very wide, my Alpinestars XXL fit nice and are warm and comfy until they get soaked. Or what about snowboard gloves? Who's using those? I saw some "Da Kine" gloves for $40 online, but the largest size is XL, probably too small.

jimg
12-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I am looking for the same thing...maybe these

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-Versaliner-Gloves-Black/dp/B0059BIZAM/ref=sr_1_fed0_1?s=athletic-clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1355632173&sr=1-1&keywords=waterproof+glove+liners

Jetblack
12-16-2012, 2:13 AM
Zip lock...nah just kidding. I dunno, I wasn't aware of such a thing...I figured there were just water proof and non.

ThePete
12-16-2012, 2:56 AM
I've tried using my snowboard gloves and I wouldn't recommend them. Skiing gloves might be a bit of a better choice since they're designed to grip poles where as the snowboarding aren't.

I don't have to deal with wet gloves often but the times I have made me do a little research and Fox Creek Leather sells some elk skin ones that are supposed to be the shit.

Stubs
12-16-2012, 7:15 AM
I just wear dirt bike gloves with a snowboard glove outer over them. The outer part is very large and waterproof. It's kind off like a windbreaker material.

spdmtlrcng
12-16-2012, 6:31 PM
Any gortex glove with a taped seam (very important) will work great. I have a set of Mt Hardware I picked up from backcountry's outlet for super cheap. They've made it since a deployment to RC East in Afghanistans mountains during the winter as a turret gunner. Make sure that they have gaiters long enough to extend over the cuffs on your jacket.
Another option is to get a can of "Camp Dry" from your local outdoor store and spray the gloves you have now. Just make sure to do it in a well ventilated area because that shit is potent. Let them dry and test them buy running them under your faucet with cold water. Any leakage, just spray again. Good luck bro!

TyroninFXR
12-17-2012, 9:34 PM
I used that $10 a can tektron shit from REI, used it on my gloves, toolbag, and backpack, doesn't work for shit. I bet regular scotch gard works better. I use alpinestars "drystar" gloves, but they get soaked on the outside after 15-20 mins, then my hands get cold. So since I couldn't find outer shells, I ordered some tourmaster silk glove liners, they should help a lil.

AlexK
12-17-2012, 9:44 PM
I ride in my ice climbing gloves made by Black Diamond. Pretty spendy but really worth it. Rei, mountain hardware,OR all make great quality shells too

Cory
12-17-2012, 9:57 PM
On trips I carry water skiing gloves. They're great for riding in the rain. Tons of grip and your hands don't turn into prunes wearing 'em. Sorry, I know they won't fit over your gloves, but this is what's worked for me.

xllance
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
In a weak moment I paid $60.00 for some insulated Goretex gauntlet gloves from the local HD boutiqe. I'm actually really happy with them. Yeah that's a little spendy but they work.

Loaf
12-17-2012, 10:20 PM
In a weak moment I paid $60.00 for some insulated Goretex gauntlet gloves from the local HD boutiqe. I'm actually really happy with them. Yeah that's a little spendy but they work.

That's what happened to me, while living in Virginia & ridng in a freezing rain I stopped at a Honda dealership & bought a set of Deerskin gauntlets with waterproof liner&Thinsulate. $50 back in '02 & they lasted about 6yrs. Now that I'm in Bama' I rarely need more than a mechanics glove. But I'm fairly sure most shops sell the thin waterproof liners to wear inside the gloves.

http://chopperglory.blogspot.com/

AlexK
12-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Quality gloves are like boots and helmets, you really do get what what you pay for.

spdmtlrcng
12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I hear ya on the can of junk. I had a pair of Seal Skin socks that I made the mistake of wearing on a hiking trip in the rain and thru a creek. Needless to say they turned my feet into prunes. They worked great tho so I can recommend their gloves. I will say, if your riding in cooler weather you need to layer it starting with waterproof on the outside. I had a pair of these 180s gloves that you blow into to keep them warm. They where the shit. This thread actually reminded me to buy another pair. That link is below too.

Sealskinz
http://www.amazon.com/SealSkinz-Water-Proof-Gloves-Black/dp/B0008F4EZY

180s gloves
http://www.180s.com/pages/catalog_view.aspx?g=1%2c2&y=2&i=21&c=1

To the dudes using the all leather gloves. Are the completely waterproof? I would think the pores in the leather would let a little seep in after awhile.

spdmtlrcng
12-17-2012, 11:10 PM
These are my army issued glove liners. They work great. A little pricey but they've lasted a long time through a bunch of abuse. They are fireproof also. Great base to start from so you can save money on just the gortex shell if need be. Great dexterity too.

OR Hurricane gloves
http://military.outdoorresearch.com/gov/or-gear/handwear/hurricane-gloves.html

heretic530
12-17-2012, 11:47 PM
I have a similar problem with sizing. I wear XXL, but instead of width, I need the finger length.

there is a guy wh sells waterproof gauntlet gloves in Reno, at Street Vibrations every year. I buy a couple pairs very time I see them
For cheaper gloves you can get the Valero brand insulated, waterproof mechanic's gloves. They are a joke. They are so bulky, there is no way you could do any more intricate work then chopping wood in them, but they are cheap and keep your hands dry. Just remember to get a few pair. it does not take long before they start smelling funky inside...but you can get them on ebay for like $8 a pair. I buy like 5 pair at a time, and have them in my pickup, shop, around the house. They are great for cutting wood when it is snowing

TyroninFXR
12-19-2012, 3:25 PM
thanks for all the links and info, riding's not as fun when you can't feel your fingers

STANDARD
12-19-2012, 3:46 PM
dont buy the dakine.....
i have them....
in cold weather....or what i consider cold they stay sorta warm but when it gets wet
they soak up pretty quick!
i have yet to find a glove that is motorcycle friendly and stays dry and warm.....

TyroninFXR
12-20-2012, 5:13 PM
Not buying the dakine's, gonna try the silk glove liners out first.

Knuckleduster
12-20-2012, 5:49 PM
These are my army issued glove liners. They work great. A little pricey but they've lasted a long time through a bunch of abuse. They are fireproof also. Great base to start from so you can save money on just the gortex shell if need be. Great dexterity too.

OR Hurricane gloves
http://military.outdoorresearch.com/gov/or-gear/handwear/hurricane-gloves.html

I have to work in extreme close proximity to fire on a fairly regular basis (Torch applied roofing), I sometimes wear insulated welders gauntlets, due to my hand(s) having to be inches from a 1200-1500 degree flame occasionally. But I really really really fuckin despise the lack of dexterity I have with the welder gauntlets on. I sometimes just wear the thin jersey gloves, but they melt when you look at them with fire. These gloves WOW, they look fuckin bad ass !

.....To any who may wonder,Yes, I have set my pants , shirts, shoes, socks, gloves, hats, bandannas,hair on fire before, shit can get serious quickly when you are on a roof, and also on fire!