PDA

View Full Version : I think we're machinists now...

KittenTooth
12-15-2012, 6:26 PM
Me and my dad are proud owners of te 7x10 harbor freight mini lathe and the X2 milling machine. Pretty kickass machinery here. Theres a pic of the mill with my dad next to it, an intake manifold i turned down for my Briggs Jr dragster build, a counter weight setup for the milling head so it goes back up by itself, and the lathe. I got a pretty good idea on how to use these and me and my dad both already wanna step up to a bigger southbend or atlus lathe and a Bridgeport mill :D i think i can live with this for now though :)

OhioFlameThrower
12-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Get the fever then move up to bigger machined... I recommend the "old American iron" manufactured post-WWII.

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

heretic530
12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Ahhh it's so cute...LOL

ehester88
12-16-2012, 1:50 PM
Hope youve got a lot of room. Bridgeport is no joke. Dad had 2 in the shop at one point. Both are gone now.

dirtbag
12-16-2012, 3:00 PM
Cool,i just got this and am figureing it out, from1912.

Ironsled77
12-17-2012, 1:44 PM
Should of saved your money and bought American.

KittenTooth
12-17-2012, 5:45 PM
Should of saved your money and bought American.

A used Atlus or Southbend costs a couple thousand bucks. We definitely aren't rich and this is what we could afford. My dad and I are both broke now. Im lucky if i got 10 bucks in my wallet to last the week. We'll step up sometime but this lathe can handle anything we can throw at it and does almost anything a larger lathe could. The only issue with the mill is that we cannot do interrupted cuts with it due to the plastic gears inside. We're fixing that now with the lathe, making metal V-belt pulleys out of home casted Aluminum. Ill post some pics of those too.

KittenTooth
12-17-2012, 5:47 PM

Damn, that is awesome. I love older machinery. Theres a train museum up the road here in Sioux City that has some BIG ass lathes in the warehouse. I think there might be a similar one to yours in there too. Thats old.. but definitely gold :D

KittenTooth
12-17-2012, 5:49 PM
Hope youve got a lot of room. Bridgeport is no joke. Dad had 2 in the shop at one point. Both are gone now.

The machine shop doing some head work for a KZ750 engine i have has a bridgeport mill. Things gigantic. I dont think we're gonna have 2 at any point.. but 1 would be very welcome in our shop. We can sacrifice the space to have some badass machinery instead.

kawijake
12-17-2012, 7:12 PM
Hey whatever gets you cutting steel. Once you get to a point you can do small side jobs on the jap shit save your pennies and get a nice older unit. Bridgeport, Excello, MSC, and a lot of others make some legit mills. And leblond, atlas, clausing, logan, and hardinge all make some good old lathes. Sounds like you guys are set up to cut some metal! Congrats

OhioFlameThrower
12-17-2012, 8:36 PM

Nice vintage South Bend... saw your pics on Practical Machinist!

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com