PDA

View Full Version : What is the best tank sealer you use know of or heard of?

nunez8853
12-14-2012, 8:14 PM
I just had the designer to know, I would kinda like to clean and seal my tank. whats the word fellas ????

FXD1369
12-14-2012, 8:18 PM
RED-KOTE, POR 15 or KBS Gold Tank Sealer

SyndicateChoppers
12-14-2012, 8:24 PM
I have a local radiator shop by me that uses a red color type of sealer on all the tanks that I build
I have never had a problem with the way they do it and their charge is very reasonable
usually under $100 to pressure test and repair any small pin holes (if necessary) then clean, flush, and line the tank

I have no idea what they use I never bothered to ask but the price they charge it does not pay for me to do it myself.

I have been using them for quite a few years now and have never had a single problem ever.

MIKE47
12-14-2012, 8:29 PM
Caswell Plating has a 2 part sealer that has my vote for home use. I've had many done professionally with RedKote but it is not really user friendly and the chemicals needed to prep are just awful.

I had a really rusted xr80 tank that is on my Dirt Bag xl500. It was a week before the Ozark Mountain Scramble last year and I still had to finish the tank work on my build. I threw a handfull of drywall screws in the pretty rusty tank and they came out the bottom. There was rot through the whole bottom. I had no way to get a new tank in time. I brazed 9 inches of the tank on 2 sides 1/2" wide to get it somewhat together and put water in it. It was straining spaghetti. Last resort was to put in the sealer. I had a kit but never used it so I did it. Knock out the big stuff and a quick douse with lacguer thinner to remove any oilyness then dumped it in. Rolled it around a for a few minutes and carefully make sure it's all covered. Drain a few minutes and set up overnight. I had taped over the brazed sections with masking tape to keep the sealer from running out. In the AM I did the second coat. It dried for 4 days before I put gas in it. over 2000 miles now and it still holds.

While I was doing this I put the extra in a tank that I had that was really scaley and full of acorns. I can't chip it out of that tank. It fused the whole mess together. It wins hands down. And it's pretty affordable too.

nunez8853
12-14-2012, 8:35 PM
If i seal the tank I wont fuck up my paint will it??? cause if thats the cause ill just wait till I get a new tank.

FXD1369
12-14-2012, 8:37 PM
As a rule, I would not seal after paint. Most sealers are messy nasty chemicals.

nunez8853
12-14-2012, 8:40 PM
OK enough said hahahah thanks fellas,

no seal after paint. Im gonna have to wait.

Knuckleduster
12-14-2012, 8:59 PM
...........Gasoline

jeffo
12-14-2012, 8:59 PM
I have a local radiator shop by me that uses a red color type of sealer on all the tanks that I build
I have never had a problem with the way they do it and their charge is very reasonable
usually under $100 to pressure test and repair any small pin holes (if necessary) then clean, flush, and line the tank

I have no idea what they use I never bothered to ask but the price they charge it does not pay for me to do it myself.

I have been using them for quite a few years now and have never had a single problem ever.

If you've got a local radiator shop that will do all that for less than $100 dolores, I'd be all over that, for the time and hassle, you cant beat that.

Frog
12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
...........Gasoline

What he said.

antblyme
12-15-2012, 8:51 PM
Uses redkote on 3 tanks with no issues. I thought it was pretty simple. Radiator shops do it around here for about $50as well.

rncbigdawg
12-15-2012, 8:54 PM
for the love of your tank don't use KREEM
ok? bye!

:p

TroyFab
12-15-2012, 9:07 PM
I have used por15 on all my tanks, never had a problem. Very time consuming though, sounds like Mike47 might be getting the same results in a lot less time. I may try that caswell on my next tank.

mrkil
12-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Keep your tank full as much as possible. Fuel up before parking. No more worries ;)

Tito
12-16-2012, 12:51 AM
I just used KBS Gold on mine. Soaked it in vinegar for a couple days, rinsed it. Swirled around muriatic acid to etch the surface, let it sit by my fireplace for a day to make sure it was completely dry. Put in the KBS after stirring the little can forever, kept moving the tank around to coat all areas, let it drain back into the can. Done. Looks like it did a great job.

I still have no idea if it works, but I have heard good things about their stuff.

Jetblack
12-16-2012, 2:00 AM
If you must coat...red kote, gets my vote. Don't forget to remove your petcock when doing the acid clean; if it's aluminum it will get eaten to shit...i know thats a no brainer to remove the cock when coating, but you'd be surprised...I've never had to coat one; but all the red kote I have ran across, in tanks...has left me impressed. Others have been peeled out from the walls etc. kreem being the worst, and I have seen Por, pulled away too. Others I can't comment on; of course peel away could be from not following directions too I suppose. I dunno I don't coat, I acid the tank and let gas take care of it.

bonesxl1100
12-16-2012, 8:05 AM
caswells

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

MIKE47
12-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I have used por15 on all my tanks, never had a problem. Very time consuming though, sounds like Mike47 might be getting the same results in a lot less time. I may try that caswell on my next tank.

Yep. Way fast and easy. I swore by redkote done by my radiator guy before, but this stuff rocks. Wax the paint with a nice heavy coat of carnuba wax. let it dry really good and LEAVE IT ON. Then wrap it all up in towels and tape. Tape around the filler really good to catch drips. mix the sealant in a pourable container. Plug up the petcock temporary. Carefully dump it in (it's thick so it moves slow). roll the tank all around and just be careful when working around the filler so anything that drips out is caught by the tape (have lots of paper towels around to quickly wipe it. after your sure it all coated drain it out the petcock for 10 mins then set it to dry up. It will not f-up the paint as long as you are careful.

Torch
12-16-2012, 1:00 PM
you guys and all your "Air Dry" sealers....

red coat,.. Por 15, ...Kreem all use Acetone as a liquidizer and as an evaporative dryer ,
guess what? , the fuel injector cleaners in todays gasoline are chemically almost the same as Acetone, they dissolve those sealers into the gasoline and run that sticky shit through the carbs ....

we have been over this several times,

once you use the 2 part epoxy Caswell's sealer,... you will realize Caswell's is the best .

I seal 2-3 tanks a month, here's what I do....to protect your paint job...take Saran wrap and wrap the tank up poke a hole in the spout, then mask off the gas spout area with blue masking tape.

Ellis
12-18-2012, 10:28 AM
What he said.

Agree...I tried several and they tend to cause more issues than they are worth.
No matter how clean etched or dry the shit seems to peel.
If a tank is gonna sit for a while after you rise coat it with magical mystery oil
This will prevent rust when not in use other wise Gasoline.

..and if you do seal after paint use a good 3m auto tape the yellow shit and tape the tank up to prevent the sealer from fucking it up.

VPNick
12-18-2012, 11:21 AM
a full tank of gas and a quality built tank...i am going through the nightmare of de-rusting and trying to remove all the fucking sealer in old mustang tank i got...pin holes everywhere