PDA

View Full Version : Fuck Harley dealerships

Evidence
12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Seriously. Ive been thinking about picking up an iron leftover from 2012, just to have as a gas saving daily rider. So I get on one of the local HD dealership websites to see what bikes are going for: no luck. Then they have ePricing, so I fill the shit out for them to email the price of the bike (which is specifically says it will do) and I get some bot generated thing saying a salesman would contact me. Get an email from the salesman with no price, saying to call him so he can "get me extra savings".

Why wont these assholes just tell you the price of their fucking bikes? I dont want to sit on the phone with a salesman while he rambles on about shit I already researched, and tries to sell me a million dollars worth of chrome overpriced parts.

I seriously dont understand what they think theyre accomplishing with this sales tactic. All theyve done is pissed me off and made me never want to buy so much as another wheel bolt from them.

/rant over

Brendden
12-14-2012, 12:14 PM
. All theyve done is pissed me off and made me never want to buy so much as another wheel bolt from them.

/rant over

Hey dont blame us guys in parts for them salesmen :(

Evidence
12-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Hey dont blame us guys in parts for them salesmen :(

Nothing against the parts guys, it has to do with giving the dealership in general my money. Im sure the salesman didnt come up with this dumbass selling tactic, the company did. Hence, theyre the assholes who arent getting another penny from me....dont take me for a chump right off the bat and expect to earn my business.

Brendden
12-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Nothing against the parts guys, it has to do with giving the dealership in general my money. Im sure the salesman didnt come up with this dumbass selling tactic, the company did. Hence, theyre the assholes who arent getting another penny from me....dont take me for a chump right off the bat and expect to earn my business.

Honestly,I really cant blame you, just checked out our website, and its the same way. Guess i've never really payed attention.

ruckus2115
12-14-2012, 12:36 PM
i think you just want to complain about harley dealerships....send this thread to the junk forum.....

what you just described is how any sales department would work. do the same thing with a car dealership....any sales person will play games with u....try to get you into the actual dealership....find out what your budget is....stuff like that....no sales person will call you and give you a straight price over the phone..

punkrod
12-14-2012, 12:41 PM
My advice: Buy used. Plenty of chumps out there selling near new bikes with low milage.

Evidence
12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
i think you just want to complain about harley dealerships....send this thread to the junk forum.....

what you just described is how any sales department would work. do the same thing with a car dealership....any sales person will play games with u....try to get you into the actual dealership....find out what your budget is....stuff like that....no sales person will call you and give you a straight price over the phone..

Feel free to have it moved. I don't care where its at, I just figured there was someone on here who is a salesman and could give me a little insight into why they market like this. Seems ass backwards.

SinisterRouge
12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
they want you to go to the dealership... BUT if you look at thier used selection online they usually have prices, and possibly the bike you are looking for. why not get it slightly used and save a grand or 2.

Evidence
12-14-2012, 12:54 PM
they want you to go to the dealership... BUT if you look at thier used selection online they usually have prices, and possibly the bike you are looking for. why not get it slightly used and save a grand or 2.

Their used bikes are the same way. I was checking out some Dynas but it was the same scenario. Honestly, I just wanted to get on their site and see some pricing. I dont even know if I want to buy anything right now, I was just curious and semi interested. Im not so interested that I want to actually go to the dealership or sit and have a 20 min conversation on the phone with someone.

I dont know, just seems shady to not put your pricing up. If your prices were at all competitive then putting them online would probably get you business. When you make a person physically contact a pushy salesman, it makes me think that you're trying to pull one over.

...maybe im wrong, I dont know. I just want to see pricing and them not showing it and/or making it really hard to get seems like its only hindering their sales.

spsgold
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
I'd never buy one from a dealership again...you're just payin extra to support their over head and webmaster! Buy from craigslist and get a clean low mile bike for around $2000 less!

Evidence
12-14-2012, 1:03 PM
Ive never bought anything brand new, and im not really thrilled about the idea. I just thought that maybe with it being cold and them having some left overs from last year, I might get a good deal on one.

kombi66
12-14-2012, 1:04 PM
i worked in vehicle sales for years what you got is SOP... cant close someone on the phone or in an email and make a good profit...

Evidence
12-14-2012, 1:08 PM
i worked in vehicle sales for years what you got is SOP... cant close someone on the phone or in an email and make a good profit...

Huh, I guess I must be wrong. To be honest ive never really looked at brand new stuff, because I have a problem with buying something that loses 30% of its value the minute you drive it off the lot. I didn't realize this was a regular thing.

kombi66
12-14-2012, 1:12 PM
Huh, I guess I must be wrong. To be honest ive never really looked at brand new stuff, because I have a problem with buying something that loses 30% of its value the minute you drive it off the lot. I didn't realize this was a regular thing.

kinda goes along the lines of not putting prices on used cars...with a price on the window you dont talk to a salesman, therefore no chance to close a deal

Evidence
12-14-2012, 1:23 PM
I guess I just don't understand the nature of sales. Im not a whimsical person so the price on something is going to sway me a lot more than how shiny it is...Ill get off my dickhead rant pedestal and stop by the dealership when I have some spare time this weekend lol...thanks for the insight.

LinkBelt
12-14-2012, 1:50 PM
The thing I don't understand is that we have the great privilege at being part of this great community known as CHOP cult, full of professional builders, Fabricators, grass roots, and backyard builders all having vast knowledge of all things M/C. Why in the hell would anyone on this sight even be looking at the dealership or there janky web sight. Damn the man save the empire.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

kombi66
12-14-2012, 2:01 PM
The thing I don't understand is that we have the great privilege at being part of this great community known as CHOP cult, full of professional builders, Fabricators, grass roots, and backyard builders all having vast knowledge of all things M/C. Why in the hell would anyone on this sight even be looking at the dealership or there janky web sight. Damn the man save the empire.

i agree link 100% ...support your local boys

pTc
12-14-2012, 2:10 PM
My advice: Buy used. Plenty of chumps out there selling near new bikes with low milage.

+1 Any dealership will do you the same way. Buy from an individual. Late models like that are bought straight from the dealership buy guys who want to sell their toys in the winter.
Fuck the factory? more like fuck the dealership ...then fuck the factory

BigWilly
12-14-2012, 2:14 PM

Not always true. but it is most of the time. I sent an email to a dude the other day and asked if he had a car and he sent me the sticker in his response the price was good so I went down the next day and negotiated an even better deal.

Some HD dealers are better then others. I just cant ever seeing buying a new bike.

motorlou
12-14-2012, 2:16 PM
I had to go in there the other day but not by my own will. I figured since I was there I would buy a front inner tube for another project. the fuckers wanted $35!!! went across the street to a Yamaha dealer and bought one for $20.............

eroticjesus
12-14-2012, 2:36 PM
I remember when I was younger, I used to hang around the local Harley Dealership. It was a greasy, smoke filled place with a couple of dogs laying in hair covered dog beds. The "showroom" had a few new models, and a few go-carts, cause those paid the bills. The lone clerk would be at the counter, usually smoking and wrenching on an engine by the register.
In the back was a graveyard of old machines in various states of rust.

I went to the local dealership about a year ago. I felt like I walked into Wal-Mart. There is a funny thing that happened. The popularity with the douchebags and the rubs seriosuly saved Harley from going away, but in doing so the MoCo had to get more corporate. I have no reason to go into a dealership, my bike is too old to even have parts there.
It's unfortunate, but it's a numbers game, they have to cater to the asshats to stay in business.

Saltytonk
12-14-2012, 2:42 PM
I went to a dealership website the other day just to look at inventory ...didnt care what the price was. This site wouldnt even let me view the inventory until I filled out the contact info. Salesman called me back .......
I jacked with him pretty hard ...

I said I'm looking for a very specific bike and dont believe you can help me...

He said they could find me any Harley I wanted..

I said I'm looking for a Shovelhead FXE completely unmolested, mid controls, buckhorn bars, kick/electric , I want it Teal blue. with the red/gold wing decal .

He changed his mind about finding the bike I wanted.........

2stroketim
12-14-2012, 2:48 PM
I'm with ya evidence - - - I've bought 3 spankin new cycles. I like anything with 2 fuckin wheels. Bought a 92 Sporty when I was in high school, rode the wheels off it for a few years, sold it when I went to college.

Bought a new Vstar in 2004, rode that for a while, then, most recently, a 2008 V-Strom.

I would consider buying a new Harley - - I mean shit man, I'm not above riding anything....

That being said, some of the best bikes I have owned were my chops. My first one was during high school, an old Virago - - then I had a Vstar 650, then a Savage, and now, I'm actually back on a Vstar chop.

Point being - -new and shiny and junk is cool. So is making your own. If you gots the chops for a new one - - - - -go fur it.

Evidence
12-14-2012, 3:08 PM

Im finishing up a full build right now, and I love the community and all the garage builders, etc. I also like comfort and reliability when it comes to getting me to work every morning. Riding an older bike with almost 30k miles on it and a suicide clutch in 5 oclock traffic will be fine for a while, but I thought it may be nice to have a newer bike that I could just use as a daily driver.

Not to mention while I respect the hell out of all these indy shops, I would never pay a shop to build me a bike. I could build one myself and keep the cost way down...hell, anymore building the damn things is more fun than riding one.

LinkBelt
12-14-2012, 3:56 PM
Im finishing up a full build right now, and I love the community and all the garage builders, etc. I also like comfort and reliability when it comes to getting me to work every morning. Riding an older bike with almost 30k miles on it and a suicide clutch in 5 oclock traffic will be fine for a while, but I thought it may be nice to have a newer bike that I could just use as a daily driver.

Not to mention while I respect the hell out of all these indy shops, I would never pay a shop to build me a bike. I could build one myself and keep the cost way down...hell, anymore building the damn things is more fun than riding one.

Seems to me you got the skills. So hit CL find a basket case and build it to your needs. Ride the chop till finished. Seems a jockey shift and suicide clutch in rush hour would be a great motivator to build your everyday scoot and like you said for less.

Oh yeah, Fuck MoCo round here we build choppas motha fucka.

AngryJohnny
12-14-2012, 7:15 PM
I guess I've only ever priced used Harleys at the dealership here, but the Harley dealership here isn't like that at all..at least with used bikes. They put the price right on the website. I'm sure it's open to a little negotiating, when you go inside to deal.

Actually the HD dealership is pretty cool. I beleive it's pretty highly rated amongst the nations dealerships, and has won a bunch of gold seal awards or whatever it is they award. I took my MSF course through them, and they took us on a tour of the place, into the shop, and back inside their parts warehouse. They even showed us how to use their software for their parts dept. sales counter. I mean, unless I work there, I'll never need to know that, but they showed me anyways.. I reckon to give a sense of transparency, and to emphasize customer their cusotomer service.. Which is actually a good idea. It makes folks like me who would never consider buying from a big bloated dealership, actually consider it. Even if their prices are a little higher than a craigslist ad, if they could get right with the price.. or even get it in the right neighborhood, I would have no problem dealing with them just to cut out the sketchy BS you hafta contend with on CL. It baffles me why more dealership don't follow the same model. The dealerships that pull that crap are only shooting themselves in the proverbial foot.

Saltytonk
12-14-2012, 7:19 PM
I guess I've only ever priced used Harleys at the dealership here, but the Harley dealership here isn't like that at all..at least with used bikes. They put the price right on the website. I'm sure it's open to a little negotiating, when you go inside to deal.

Actually the HD dealership is pretty cool. I beleive it's pretty highly rated amongst the nations dealerships, and has won a bunch of gold seal awards or whatever it is they award. I took my MSF course through them, and they took us on a tour of the place, into the shop, and back inside their parts warehouse. They even showed us how to use their software for their parts dept. sales counter. I mean, unless I work there, I'll never need to know that, but they showed me anyways.. I reckon to give a sense of transparency, and to emphasize customer their cusotomer service.. Which is actually a good idea. It makes folks like me who would never consider buying from a big bloated dealership, actually consider it. Even if their prices are a little higher than a craigslist ad, if they could get right with the price.. or even get it in the right neighborhood, I would have no problem dealing with them just to cut out the sketchy BS you hafta contend with on CL. It baffles me why more dealership don't follow the same model. The dealerships that pull that crap are only shooting themselves in the proverbial foot.

Is that "American Eagle HD" ? I've bought some parts there before.. seemed to be good customer service.

AngryJohnny
12-14-2012, 7:28 PM
Yeah, that's the one.

http://www.americaneaglehd.com/custompage.asp?pg=awards

I ride a metric currently, so I'm not in the market for HD parts, but I've even heard tell that some of their younger mechanics have convinced the management to let the parts department stock some of the more common parts for the older genration HD's like shovels and whatnot... again a really good idea, because it helps to get the non-RUB crowd in the door to buy stuff...Folks that their mechanics know would never set foot in the door otherwise.

24Cycles
12-14-2012, 9:38 PM
Its like I tell guys all the time when they ask for a parts price. Give a call because I need to ask questions to pick the right bike or part. I can give one price and its totally different on another. Bikes are the same. Options change everything and giving a price is useless unless your pulling the trigger that minute.
I cant tell you how many times I get guys trying to absorb a price tell me they need to go to lunch and think on it. Call me 4 hours later from home to arrange a pick up and its sold already.
If your a serious buyer go to the dealer with cash ready. You pay cash its one price you need to borrow money its totally different. This is just food for thought

Hach
12-14-2012, 9:51 PM
U didn't even go or talk to any sales person, then talk shit about the Harley dealership, u don't make sense man. What do u expect them
do? Call and offer you a 2012 iron for 4500 obo... laughs

NeoDutch
12-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Goes to buy a gurl's bike, get his panties all in a twist and now has his mensee's. Have a chocolate.

Kraz1
12-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Honestly, I just wanted to get on their site and see some pricing. I dont even know if I want to buy anything right now,

This is exactly why you don't get pricing online or on the phone.... They are weeding the statement above out...

They generally will not / cannot / do not, sell bikes online, or over the phone. You're not taken seriously until your standing in the showroom. And after they "Qualify" you with their questions to see if your' a "Tire Kicker" they may give you a ball park figure.

They generally will be competing with another dealership because they know you are going from dealer to dealer hunting for numbers.

They will always try to see what you're willing to make as a monthly payment. That is a sales tactic towards selling you a higher interest rate.

Always negotiate the price of the bike first, and than settle your terms.

Blah, blah, Blah blah.

You want pricing ? Go to the official H-D Site and get MSRP... Negotiate down from there. Figure out what you have/want/will, spend and than go kick tires for real... Otherwise they will "Qualify" you out the front door.

When you're ready, pick their weakest salesman and make him give you the best price.

These guys have taken a few lessons from the car people over the years and do training seminars on how to manipulate customers. (EXAMPLE) For fun salesman will bet each other lunch/money or both on "Controlling the Sale".. First they gain your trust / interest, than they'll "Pitch" to you... the bet might be watching one salesman string the customer into "Kneeling Down" to look at a certain feature of the bike while "Showing" you a model..., and when "You" do kneel down... they've just won lunch or money or both. And that's regardless whether they sell you a bike or not.

Not all dealerships are like this, but they're not making money if your ass isn't on a seat.

jorgun
12-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I remember when I was younger, I used to hang around the local Harley Dealership. It was a greasy, smoke filled place with a couple of dogs laying in hair covered dog beds. The "showroom" had a few new models, and a few go-carts, cause those paid the bills. The lone clerk would be at the counter, usually smoking and wrenching on an engine by the register.
In the back was a graveyard of old machines in various states of rust.

I went to the local dealership about a year ago. I felt like I walked into Wal-Mart. There is a funny thing that happened. The popularity with the douchebags and the rubs seriosuly saved Harley from going away, but in doing so the MoCo had to get more corporate. I have no reason to go into a dealership, my bike is too old to even have parts there.
It's unfortunate, but it's a numbers game, they have to cater to the asshats to stay in business.

I quit going to dealerships when they went from being a Harley shop to being a "Lifestyle Emporium"!! Seriously I've been in a dealers once since 1989, and that was in 96 with a bro to get some parts for his 94 evo. ^5 On the smoke filled greasy shops those were the place to hangout at!

Evidence
12-14-2012, 10:46 PM
U didn't even go or talk to any sales person, then talk shit about the Harley dealership, u don't make sense man. What do u expect them
do? Call and offer you a 2012 iron for 4500 obo... laughs

Did you even read my post? I never said anything about trying to get something or a retard cheap price, I'm trying to figure out why it's such a big deal for them to put prices on their site. If I'm on the fence about a bike, its a lot easier to get online and look at price, and find out if the price is anything I even would go for in the first place. There are a lot of people out there who aren't swayed by pushy ass salesman, and by forcing you to walk into the dealership and talk to one of them, they're hoping that's what they can do. If my price range is 7k, and I go all the way to the dealership to find out they want 9k then they've come no closer to making a sale, and they could have saved everybody's time by just putting the 9k on their website in the first place.

junkyardxl
12-14-2012, 11:02 PM
the only thing i hate is when you call for a part. its never simple with the local dealership. i called for a choke cable and was immediately given a 10 min spill on how its an enrichner not a choke cable. i was like ok cool i just know it as what i know it as ( plus it says choke on the end). so i figured while i had the guy on the phone that knew something i would ask about a few things. i then ask him for a tank for a bike different than mine and he then goes to tell me how the tank wont work on my bike. same tank i have on my bike. he wouldnt even give me a price on the tank. i have been to a few that i liked just not my local.

24Cycles
12-15-2012, 1:14 AM
Im with the parts frustration.... The easiest way around this issue is buy a parts manual for your model. Give the dealer the part number and presto you have answer in less then a minute most times.
Most the guys behind the counters in the dealers have to deal with crap pay and parts catalogs that dont make since if you havent worked on HD for a good amount of years.

Bandersnatch
12-15-2012, 1:31 AM
I hate when a dealership.......or anything says "For Sale..........come talk to me"

I was at a carshow and saw a pretty decent "old car" with a for sale sign. Nice enough that I'd be interested if it was a good price.....but alas, no asking price.

So my buddy and I turn to walk into the show and the owner comes up and asks if we're interested.

I say depends waddya want for it and he says "only 8 grand".
Then he starts going on about original factory color restored in 92 blah blah blah.

I didn't wanna be a tool, so now I gotta listen to all this jibber jabber when if he woulda just put a price on it I coulda kept steppin instead of standin around for.............dammit, I don't even wanna waste any more time typin about it.
If you don't wanna read this post just skip it.

Here.//meatspin///nah.just kiddin.gov
(http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?search_string=2012+Iron+883&category=8&Region=na&cityselect=manual&statecodes=19&citycodes=&srchType=A&showeb=1&keytype=adv&minAsk=&maxAsk=12000&subcat=mca)

TINGLER
12-15-2012, 1:36 AM
I like my local dealership. Many times I've needed a part and needed it now. Every time I have to remind myself that the local Harley dealership isn't like the local Japanese dealership. When you call the local Harley shop, they normally have the part in stock. That can't be said for the local Yamaha/kawasaki place.

I've never bought a new Harley, seems like especially for Sportsters there are just many examples of great condition used ones out there. I have bought new bikes before though and I can see the appeal. It's nice knowing you are the only person to have a hand in working on it. There are certainly less problems with new bikes.

However, I think if you're going to modify it anyhow, then it makes much more sense to buy used off of an individual.

Brendden
12-15-2012, 9:30 AM
the only thing i hate is when you call for a part. its never simple with the local dealership. i called for a choke cable and was immediately given a 10 min spill on how its an enrichner not a choke cable. i was like ok cool i just know it as what i know it as ( plus it says choke on the end). so i figured while i had the guy on the phone that knew something i would ask about a few things. i then ask him for a tank for a bike different than mine and he then goes to tell me how the tank wont work on my bike. same tank i have on my bike. he wouldnt even give me a price on the tank. i have been to a few that i liked just not my local.

Man, come buy here we got a guy with an 81 goldwing hes rebuilding, a lady with an evo longbike shes been building for the past year, another lady thats mmi certified and rides a shovel, and our manager owned a shovel he built from a box.

Rubman
12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey, this stuff works both ways. I just bought a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer. They wouldn't give me a price over the phone. Wound up going there and beating them up for almost 4 grand off the sticker price. The car only msrp's fr 17,800. That's a HUGE chunk off and almost 2500 below dealer invoice.

It all depends on how well you can negotiate. I won't hustle a local working joe, but you bet your fucking ass if you're too dumb to give a guy like me a price over the phone, I'll hustle you out of your life savings.

So here's a brief tutorial to serve as a starting point in your search for a new, warrantied, daily rider.
1. Understand before you even pick up the phone that these dealers are the biggest scumbags on the planet. Walking into your search knowing there ain't an honest dealer on the planet will only make everything easier to deal with.

2. Always call as many dealers as possible. Give them your honest e-mail and wait. You're preparing to purchase a motorcycle at the best time of the year. Dealers everywhere are doing everything they possibly can to get rid of as many vehicles as possible, in order to meet their annual/quarterly numbers. They'll send you good deals via email that you could use to fuck them with later. Know they're most likely desperate for your business this time of year, because this is when dealers are made or broken.

3. You'll find conflicting perspectives on this. Some people say it works, others don't. I've found success using it -- leverage dealers against each other. Most dealers have nothing in common other that they all sell the same junk. Every dealer is different, and every single one is competing for your business. Feel free to use them against one another if the opportunity presents itself.

4. Never pay the sticker price. That price is posted with the intent of negotiating a lower price to you without losing money. Negotiate. Negotiate. Negotiate.

5. "I want to see the dealer invoice on this vehicle. Thanks." Don't pay a dollar more than dealer invoice, and know they're desperate enough to lose money on a bike just to make their numbers.

5. Play cool. Be nice. Before THEY can pretend to be YOUR best friend, YOU be THEIRS. It makes negotiating, seeing dealer invoices, etc. so much easier.

6. And most importantly, don't feel bad about any of it. Always hustle a hustler.

These aren't everything you should do, just some tips that helped me roll a couple dealers over. Fuck 'em. Good luck, dude. Don't let their bull shit get to you and keep you from getting the ride you want.

motorsurf54
12-15-2012, 1:58 PM
What I always have done with car or bike purchases is walk into the dealership and check out the bike or car you are interested in. When salesguy comes up and starts to talk go immediately into asking for an out the door price. He will then want you to walk over to his desk/office to discuss numbers and stuff. Bullshit, tell dude he has 10 minutes tops to go get you an out the door price or you will walk out and he can pound sand. They may try to act like this can't happen but they know the OTD price before they even greet you. Also don't give them your phone number or email ever. Fucking scuzzballs will put you on every mailing list in existence. Just force them for an OTD price within 10 mins or walk out. Any dealership that wont do that is guaranteed to fuck you in the sale.