PDA

View Full Version : Route 66 to Born Free 5...

unclecreepypants1977
12-13-2012, 4:29 PM
I have family in Missouri and plan on taking Rt. 66 from there to BF5. Has anyone ridden all or most of 66? Any pointers or online resources? Any idea as to how long it would take?

ThePete
12-13-2012, 5:11 PM
A few years ago I picked up an old 1955 Willys CJ5 in Colorado and instead of taking the direct route I headed south and picked it up in New Mexico. I know that's not as far east as Missouri but it might help to give you an idea of what to expect. #1 it's not going to be easy going, lots of sections of Rte 66 are gone, not just paved over by the new freeway running east west but flat out missing. I'd break out some kind of trip planning software that allows you to physically plot your course before hand so you'd know that the route you were following wasn't going to dead end 5 miles down the road. It might be better east of where I picked it up but the road wasn't very well maintained and was very tiresome even in a softly sprung jeep that had power steering and new shocks. (the old CJ actually handled better then 1st gen Wranglers) Plan on lots of little stops along the way, there's a ton of shit to see everywhere that you'll probably want to take a peek at and even the short 30 minute stops add up. Depending on your tank size this might not be an issue, with the Jeep it was I was running dual tanks on it and had about a 500 mile range before getting into the Jerry cans. The sights off the 66 are pretty fucking amazing going through New Mexico and Arizona, once you hit California it's really about making miles the Mohave can be pretty, but it can also be pretty lame after a few hours of the same shit over and over again. Now days I would imagine with all the RUBs that run 66 on their ultralazyboygliding baggers there's a ton of tourist trapping money grubbing shit. Sometimes I'd detour 10 miles off 66 for gas because it would average a big enough difference for it to be worth it when I was pumping close to 45 gallons of gas. Its going to be hot as fuck, Bill's water bottle A/C tip will be a must along with my favorite long sleeved white shirts, I like the baggy Under Armor ones they wick moisture away from your skin and breathe well. One of the guys I ride with (LivingCanvas) that's from the Mohave rides in a flannel even in August and buys 2 water bottles (1-1.5 liter bottles) at every stop we make for gas. One to drink and one to soak himself down with. He says by the time we get to the next stop he's bone dry again and I would imagine that it works a bit like a wearable swamp cooler by evaporative cooling. Keep an eye on your engine heat if you've got an older bike, most modern bikes will cool fine as long as the oil is fresh and there's enough in the cases but an old iron head trying to keep up at Dyna speeds even with a good regearing is still gonna get hot. (again LivingCanvas) Some people try and avoid rest stops for catching a nap, but I found that some of the ones I hit as I made my trek across as much of the 66 as I could keep on were worth making the effort to hit. I met some really cool people, but there were still a good amount of sketchy characters I'd want to avoid (keep that KaBar close) Make sure your camera is accessable, I'm glad I did I got some incredible shots along the way.

griffinbpiper
12-13-2012, 5:22 PM
I rode the whole Chicago to San Diego trip with a buddy of mine.as far as time goes it just depends on how many stops you wanna make. And yes a decent part of 66 isn't there anymore or turns into interstate. I took my sporty and had some problems with my carb acting up do to altitude. I did pick up a guide to the mother road which did help immensely .but in the end was definitely a major staple in my 2 wheel riding adventures. Good luck man

ThePete
12-13-2012, 5:28 PM
Uncle, just fucking do it give yourself extra time for any kind of bullshit that can pop up and enjoy the ride its epic. The more squirrly shit you get into or take off on a tangent to get to see the better the trip is going to be, a modern vision quest. When I did it in the old Jeep I was all by myself and my top speed was like 60 down hill with the wind pushing and the clutch pushed in (gearing would slow it down) I'd have to clean the fuel filter bowl about every 200 miles or so to keep things running smooth. 98% of the drive was done no top no doors (only put on the top for a couple hours to sleep through a rain storm) The radiator didn't have an over flow tank so I was toppiing up my radiator more often then my gas but I wouldn't trade it for anything but to have done it on a scoot.

SquashThatFly
12-13-2012, 6:05 PM
ive been on most of it. Picked it up in oklahoma and went west from there. Its fun, slightly time consuming, and some of it just doesn't exist at all anymore. Bring extra fuel. youll need it the further into the desert you get.

its worth the trip though

ThePete
12-13-2012, 6:43 PM
Squashthatfly nailed it on the fuel, I didn't fill both tanks and made a poor judgement call (no working gas gauges) and was almost on foot with a gas can if it wasn't for the down hill sections. I had enough gas to get me up a couple hills and coast down the other side to get me into a gas station, ran the stop sign and had enough gas to lurch the Jeep up to the pump.

MIKE47
12-14-2012, 8:48 AM
I did a section of it in Arizona in a car a couple years ago. From the Williams (Grand Canyon) area back to Kingman. It was a cool little trek. It adds some time for sure but to see the old towns and motels and service stations was worth the trip. Most the little shit is just like in the CARS movie: Burned out everything. But if you have the vision you can imagine how great it was back then. The road itself has some rough sections so pay attention but the scenery is pretty and the way the road rolls and twists should make for a great experience. Racing freight trains though the desert something that you just have to experience. Being from the east The expanse of the views is awesome.

But it will just end at interstate and you won't have a choice but to get on rt.40 for a bit then you have to look for it again to get back on 66. So careful planning is indeed a good idea.

pTc
12-14-2012, 2:18 PM
I was thinking about the same thing, riding 66 starting around oklahoma.

Uncle, if you do get some route mapped out please share it on this thread.

rooster52478
12-14-2012, 7:24 PM
I live in MO and ride on Rt 66 everyday. Just through Springfield but still. We sometimes head out and actually ride it out west of town. I dunno if I could handle riding it all the way to CA if it's all like the way it is here. Like people said most of the buildings are trashed. It also jumps around so much from being little sections of outer road on a 2 lane highway to just being the 2 lane highway. It's not worth getting off the highway really. The first time I went out I actually got off 66 and got lost because people steal the signs. I think I'd rather research and find out the best sections and make detours to just travel them.

bkrtrsh
12-14-2012, 7:41 PM
The OL and me have ridden it 3 times, we took a month away from work each time to do it. From Chicago to San Bernardino. I will say that what everyone else has said is correct. Lemme add that it is what you make of it. Painstakingly I plotted how we could do this to stick to the original "Mother road" as much as possible. Quite the challenge in its current condition. Lots of dead ends and dirt, and " do not enter". The nostalgia factor alone is unbelievable. We took a zillion pix and it wasn't enough. You can rip through the trip or stop for that cup of coffee. We took our time and never regretted it. Pack for all kinds of weather cuz you just can never tell. One year it was sooooo hot, and the following year it was cold. Independent repair shop in Kingman..:cheersmate: Saved us mega bux! One more thing...KEEP YOUR GAS TANK FULL.

SquashThatFly
12-14-2012, 7:44 PM
another thing too....theres a TON of awesome small towns in this country to see that arent anywhere near Rt. 66. You just have to get off the beaten path. I rode 4000 miles in just over a week this past september. Rode from Maryland and ended in Arizona but spent most of the week tooling around Colorado. Ive been to 46 states and Colorado is by far my favorite. Absolutely killer riding. Utah is also amazing. both would make a hell of a trip to BF5

WingNut
12-15-2012, 9:06 PM
I grew up in one of those worn down little towns on 66 in Divernon, just south of Springfield IL. I rode 66 everyday. Its a great strip of pavement and theres a lot history to the road but don't expect the conditions to be great. The parts of it that haven't been torn out can be rough. Some of original sections left before the first renovation are still brick road.
Here's a turn by turn walk through from The Mother Road
http://www.historic66.com/description/

Knuckleduster
12-19-2012, 4:32 AM
I know here in Oklahoma , Rt 66 does go all the way through the state, (from Miami to north of Sayre)however it ends and picks back up several times, there are also multiple paths. Yes, you heard me correctly, multiple paths (at least here in OKC proper) There is the "old road" and then there is the newer alternate alignment, and possibly even a 3rd route.