PDA

View Full Version : Wood Grips/Bar Ends

blacklungky
12-12-2012, 9:26 PM
I'm tempted to pull out my wood lathe and attempt to make some wooden grips and bar ends, maybe texture them and then seal em. If they turn out and hold up to weather maybe start selling em, would there be any interest?

also I will be posting photos asap.

ironallen
12-12-2012, 10:00 PM
depending on the wood used and the style, I would be up for running some nice one-off wood grips.

xfiend
12-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Pulling out your wood on chopcult... that's about right.

applecore
12-12-2012, 10:18 PM
yea i was thinking about doing this too i just got a lathe and have been playing with it i think some of the burl woods would look cool as fuck turned down into some grips

904Punk
12-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea, whip some up so we can see how they look!

cabinetjesus
12-13-2012, 6:55 AM
How would you keep em on silicon?

Vaughn
12-13-2012, 3:12 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Would they be something that would just go on the ends of the bars, or actually fit over the bars like real grips? If they fit over the bars, wouldn't the wall thickness of the "grip" be too thin and brittle to stand up to all the vibration from regular riding. Personally I would be a little hesitant to ride with them if the grips were just mounted off the ends of the bars, thinking they would just snap off. I really like the idea though. There are a lot of very cool woods out there with some very cool grain patterns that I would love to incorporate into a bike.

interstatejoe
12-13-2012, 3:48 PM
I'd rock a pair of bloodwood or wenge grips

blacklungky
12-13-2012, 4:42 PM
i would like to do full on grips. I dunno about wall thickness, that would have to be part of the trial i guess. I was thinking of holding them on with set screws.

nunez8853
12-13-2012, 6:27 PM
Do a pair out of oak stain them nice and wrap them in a real nice leather and what whats up with it. line it with some thin aluminum ??? that way you can grease the inside

0BLCKTJ6
12-13-2012, 6:45 PM
Do a pair out of oak stain them nice and wrap them in a real nice leather and what whats up with it. line it with some thin aluminum ??? that way you can grease the inside

That's what I was thinking but instead of aluminum using some type of rubber sleeve to try and dampen some of the vibes they might transmit.

nunez8853
12-13-2012, 6:49 PM
do both man because rubber on metal will drag and make it stick you dont want that while riding, maybe wood rubber metal??? thats a thought ,man. tell you what make a pair and send them to me and ill do R&D you down?

BuddhahoodVato
12-13-2012, 7:15 PM
Then they wouldn't be wood grips, if you lined them etc. just my nickle worth of bullshit.

Acosi151
12-13-2012, 8:04 PM

never seen grips that didn't have an integrated throttle tube eh?

blackchop
12-13-2012, 9:21 PM
well they make wood grips for bicycles.

if i was building a board tracker style motorcycle i would use wood grips :D

bet thats the dumbest thing youve read all night huh?

anyways, i dont see any problems in either running a glue or just an aluminum throttle tube one the throttle side.

Anvil
12-14-2012, 7:42 PM
What about turning some real stacked leather grips like the marine corps Kabar Knives had?