PDA

View Full Version : Brazing exhaust

CRACK
12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Has anyone built a stainless exhaust setup and brazed the joints? I do not have access to a TIG.

I'm going to braze up a narrowed sporty tank tomorrow, so that got me thinking about doing my new exhaust in stainless.

Thoughts? I thought polished stainless with brazed joints might look neat-o.

Mark81
12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
If the welds are very clean, I think it looks awesome!

motorlou
12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I haven't done it but I was talking with my chromer and he told me a lot of guys actually silicone bronze braze mufflers when they are going to have them chromed. forgot why he said they do that. I think it looks cool in the raw but keep the theme throughout the bike or it'll like ass

bobscogin
12-12-2012, 3:51 PM
thinking about doing my new exhaust in stainless.
Thoughts?

Silver alloy filler (silver solder) is generally required for brazing stainless steel. Depending on the specific alloy, it has a melting point of around 600-800F That may be a little low to cope with exhaust gas temperatures at the exhaust port outlet. Whatever alloy you use, check the specs for melting point.

Bob

CRACK
12-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Silver alloy filler (silver solder) is generally required for brazing stainless steel. Depending on the specific alloy, it has a melting point of around 600-800F That may be a little low to cope with exhaust gas temperatures at the exhaust port outlet. Whatever alloy you use, check the specs for melting point.

Bob

Thanks. Maybe I can get some stainless head pipes so the first joint won't be right at the head.

StinkyMonkey
12-13-2012, 2:39 AM
I haven't done it but I was talking with my chromer and he told me a lot of guys actually silicone bronze braze mufflers when they are going to have them chromed. forgot why he said they do that. I think it looks cool in the raw but keep the theme throughout the bike or it'll like ass

Probably because brazing leaves you with a nice radiused fillet when it's done right?

Jetblack
12-13-2012, 2:57 AM

If my memory serves; chromium takes to bronzes etc really well.