PDA

View Full Version : tank help for a newbie

xharleyx
02-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I bought a stock 883 sportster tank off ebay that has a few minor dings and i'm going to put it on my 82 yamaha xj. due to some top tube clearance issues I need to run the petcock out the side of the tank which is not a big deal because my uncle is a professional welder, the problem is this...

the tank appears to have some sort of lining in it from the factory and I'm afraid the heat from welding the new bung in will cause this lining to bubble or crack leading to a possible fuel filter/carb nightmare later on down the road.

so should i try and get the lining out?

leave it in?

and if I do need to remove it, how could I go about it?

and do I need to put another liner in when I'm done or can I just leave it bare metal?

thanks for all the help in advance!

mad750
02-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Take it to your local radiator shop and let them flush it out for you. It's better to start clean and fresh then when your done fabbing/welding, and what not, reline when you're done with some Por-15.

xharleyx
02-05-2010, 11:36 PM
OK sounds good

whats' a good easy tank liner kit for someone like me to not mess up?

mad750
02-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Por-15.

BullDog
02-06-2010, 12:29 AM
I've never tried POR 15 but I have used KBS coatings lining with great results. They also sell some stuff to remove the old coating. Haven't used the 'remover' because I coated a new tank.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/kbs-strip.html