PDA

View Full Version : DMV wrote the wrong VIN on my title...

904Punk
12-07-2012, 3:33 PM
Anyone else ever have this happen before? What was the end result?

I registered one of my bikes a month ago and have been waiting on my title so I decided to call them up. I kept giving her the VIN and nothing was coming up, turns out they put the number in the system wrong. I also haven't received it yet because they sent it to the wrong address. Now I have to go get the title from the wrong address myself and it still has the wrong number on it. They told me to call the state to get it figured out, state dmv tells me that they can't review it till middle of January and there is a good chance I'll have to pay to reapply for a title.

Am I the only who thinks this is fucking a bunch of bullshit? I've got someone who wants to buy the bike and I'm not going to sell it to him with a bad title.

BootsBogz
12-07-2012, 3:36 PM
I'd suggest talking to your local government rep. for help. That's definitely screwed up. I know people make mistakes but you shouldn't be made to pay for someone else's fuck up.

alitterit
12-07-2012, 3:43 PM
I have had DMV screw shit up before like spelling my name wrong and what not and never had an issue when I went to sell it... I guess it all depends on how much the person at the tag place pays attention and if they catch it/ want to make a big deal out of it...

If I were you, I'd let it go and pretend you never noticed it, when you go to sell it give the tags person your DL and insurance card to get the vehicle info off so they don't have to look at the title for it. The new buyer will get a new title anyways.

904Punk
12-07-2012, 3:46 PM
Yeah, I know people mess up too but they have no desire to help me out here, let alone accept responsibility. On top of that they said I'll have to go to the office with the title and everything after the middle of January. This was in Texas, I now live in Florida. I really don't even know how I'm suppose to get any of this shit fixed, feel like I just took a big one with no lube, once again from the fucking DMV and tax collector...

904Punk
12-07-2012, 3:47 PM
I have had DMV screw shit up before like spelling my name wrong and what not and never had an issue when I went to sell it... I guess it all depends on how much the person at the tag place pays attention and if they catch it/ want to make a big deal out of it...

If I were you, I'd let it go and pretend you never noticed it, when you go to sell it give the tags person your DL and insurance card to get the vehicle info off so they don't have to look at the title for it. The new buyer will get a new title anyways.

hmmm this might be an idea, I'm selling it to a real good friend of mine so really don't want him to get screwed.

Evidence
12-07-2012, 4:24 PM
I bought my 1125R brand new, and they put the VIN in wrong when I registered it. It took me 4 years of not getting a renewal in the mail for them to figure it out. Every year I had to go in and they had to spend an hour looking through all my crap to figure out how much to charge me for it and how to deal with the situation. They never did fix it...not sure how to deal with the wrong number being on the title, mine was in the system but correct on the title.

Allen
12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
This happens (mostly with older bikes that the clerks have to hand type into the system) at the DMV. You'll see this most often with O's and 0's and occassionaly (as was my case) the 0 listed as a D. The fix for me was to have the CHP verify the VIN and (this is the short story) write me a note telling the DMV they're fucktards and to fix it. Which they did promptly upon reading the CHP note. Before that it was like talking to a wall of Stupid (made of rubber)(and covered in glue)(and on a coffee break)(while asleep)(during a day the DMV was closed).... exactly like that.

TEACH
12-08-2012, 11:11 AM
I had that happen to me on a 46 title last month...I went back in they destroyed the title and sent me a new correct one after the worker called the DMV and talk to someone there

NHMike
12-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Everytime I go to the DMV they ask me to verify everything before I leave. Is it not the same there?

904Punk
12-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Figured I couldn't be the only one this has happened to, she typed a 'z' instead of an 'a'. The hard part is going to be since I'm in Florida and this was done in Texas and like I said I'm trying to sell it and they said I have to wait till mid January to even do anything.

Would a letter from a local cop probably work or would it need to be highway patrol, because I have a cop who lives in my neighborhood I could ask. Thinking if he writes the error down my buddy brings that in when he transfers the title they might take care of it for his new title?

alitterit
12-10-2012, 6:45 PM
I understand and agree with not wanting anyone ( esp. a buddy) to get f'ed in the deal.. Only other thing I can suggest is going into a tags place and telling them your issue to see if it even is an issue, for all ya know they might just say don't worry about it and to come there to geteverything switched over to your friend...

When my reg was suspended and I was mailing everything in to get it reinstated. I spoke with a friend of a friend that owns a tags place and he gave me the exact mailing address and dept. info I needed to send my stuff to (not the address DMV supplies) This allowed me to bypass the DMV headquarters /mail room where everything needs sorted and forwarded and it got mailed directly to where it needed to go thus saving me a few days wait...

slam03
12-12-2012, 3:13 AM
These are the same type of people just gave control of our health care to

MIKE47
12-12-2012, 7:24 AM
Happened to me before. I just went in with pix and a vin rubbing and the insurance card and they redid the title without a hassle. They had my original card that I filled out in the file so there was no question as to who's mistake it was. I would rather complain now than later to avoid issues.