PDA

View Full Version : Painting a carb?

Lowlifebill
12-07-2012, 1:41 PM
anyone ever had any luck with this? figured it be a nice touch to my ironhead to have the carb the same color as the tank since the frame motor and rims are black, but im not too sure about how it will hold up to the heat plus gas

Bandersnatch
12-07-2012, 3:29 PM
Guys paint jugs all the time......
And carbs don't really get hot at all so the heat's not really an issue.

If you do...Be sure it's stupid clean before you paint it.
Don't paint over any moving parts and use a paint that is resistant to gas.....like an engine enamel or whatever from autozone...........

Personally, I wouldn't paint a carb though. If it starts to flake it'll look horrible. Then it'd be a real pain to get paint outta all the nooks and crammies.

VPNick
12-07-2012, 3:34 PM
i wonder if it would hold up against carb cleaner...i use that shit like its going out of style. i got carb fluid on a screwdriver and it ate through the paint like nothing

xllance
12-07-2012, 9:02 PM
You could always powdercoat it. Sure would be alot of prep work taping and plugging but I'm sure it's been done.

Lowlifebill
12-08-2012, 10:22 AM
i figured it might be a pain in the ass and im not sure how well regular paint will hold up against the heat, pc was an option just hard to find the color i want

Ember
12-08-2012, 1:03 PM
You will need to rip the carb apart, plug all passage ways, and pull jets, etc. Soda blast the carbs and degrease. Then you can spray a 2k primer/paint onto it. Needs to be fuel resistant, so no rattle can.
As others have said, heat is not the problem with carbs. But fuel. I would powder linkage and spray the body. But that is personal preference.

I have done this with VW carbs, but never motorcycle.

heretic530
12-08-2012, 1:16 PM
back in the 80s and 90s it used to be cool to paint holley carb bodies on the pro-street hot rods. It was a real pain in the ass.
back then you could get a hardened engine enamel finish, Now that stuff is illegal in CA, do to EPA regulations

instead I would look at anodizing. You can do it yourself, at home, with the proper equipment

junkman
12-09-2012, 1:13 PM
back in the 80s and 90s it used to be cool to paint holley carb bodies on the pro-street hot rods. It was a real pain in the ass.
back then you could get a hardened engine enamel finish, Now that stuff is illegal in CA, do to EPA regulations

instead I would look at anodizing. You can do it yourself, at home, with the proper equipment

Be careful with anodizing. If you have any brass plugs or tubing in the carb it can eat them.

Try Gun Cote or Cerakote. You will need to bake it.

Badassbrutus
12-10-2012, 8:10 AM
You must Etch prime them ,then primer sealer then paint...Ive painted Chevy small blocks with dupont paints and it holds up well..

sixball
12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
You will need to rip the carb apart, plug all passage ways, and pull jets, etc. Soda blast the carbs and degrease. Then you can spray a 2k primer/paint onto it. Needs to be fuel resistant, so no rattle can.
As others have said, heat is not the problem with carbs. But fuel. I would powder linkage and spray the body. But that is personal preference.

I have done this with VW carbs, but never motorcycle.

Yes, definetly follow those instructions.

I've only stripped paint off carbs because someone didn't do it right and it started looking like crap so they sold the carb. ALL the little rubber/plastic will get eaten up or harden if you don't take it off. Also, springs won't be as "springy" when you have paint on them. Some carbs will be a pain to paint doing it the right way.

Sixball

some1else
12-10-2012, 6:11 PM
just stay away from pink...hope this isnt the mother of a new thread titled.has anyone ever tried to clean a carb that someone "painted" !!!:banghead: