PDA

View Full Version : Foam Air Filter

70schop
12-06-2012, 9:05 PM
Found some pieces to make a cool little air cleaner out of but dont know what would be best for a filter. Anyone out there make there own filters? The cleaner housing will be similar to a small bug eye design.

Tito
12-06-2012, 9:12 PM
Any dirt bike show will have unifilter in sheets. Or get one from a bike model that somewhat fits your design and cut it to shape.

70schop
12-06-2012, 9:18 PM
Any dirt bike show will have unifilter in sheets. Or get one from a bike model that somewhat fits your design and cut it to shape.

How thick? I mean how meant sheets should I stack?

Knuckleduster
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
my bike just has a 1 layer foam filter, i'm guessing its about 1/4" thick.

MrSinister
12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Are you looking for actual filtration, or just to keep the big stuff out?
Foam filter media has to be oiled to actually do anything useful. They'll keep the bigger stuff out, but dust and grit go right through them unless oiled. I used to run them on my turbo cars. They flow a ton of air, but even when oiled, aren't the best at keeping dirt out.
I can't find the filter and housing to fit my bike (81 GS450), so I had to make my own as well. I used seat cushion foam, but didn't oil it. It's dense enough to keep most crap out, and somehow miraculously restricted airflow just enough to make the engine run right.

ruckus2115
12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
i use the green uni-filter sheets that can be bought at any dirtbike store. according to their site its like 5/8" thick. I cut them to fit and then i use PJ1 foam filter oil....which can also be bought at a dirtbike store. my set up works and i like it.
here is a link to the uni-filter website. http://www.unifilter.com/accessories.html