PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter setup

Shoots
02-04-2010, 6:07 PM
Anybody know of a complete oil filter setup? I'm not too thrilled to run a filter setup on my t100 but I have an after market oil tank with no filtration. Also I will be running a restrictor block to get oil to the top end, would this have negative effects as far as oil returning to the oil tank with a filter setup? Thanks

KT
02-04-2010, 6:54 PM
I ran the setup on my 70 a oil crossover that goes inline instead of in the tank ..plus for awhile I ran a screw on oil filter

I have seen no problems with a filter or without except like you said you have none ATM I do have a catch screen in the old Ariel tank on my bike for what it is worth ....

PS put the crossover after the return comes out of the engine then the filter then out the filter into the tank ...Also I like to make sure the filter is not a restricted filter ...you can turn a filter upside down and blow air in them as a fast check to find out if it has restriction

Jethro
02-05-2010, 7:55 AM
GREAT IDEA to run a filter... imho. LOL. Seriously, it makes a lot of sense. MAP makes an external kit. As mentioned, NEVER run a filter on the feed line, only the return. And hell, you can get a cheap in line restrictor every where. I'm surprised Lowbrow hasn't got one... here is just an example... this one is made in the USA...

http://www.raskcycle.com/parts/rb01-900.html

framus
02-05-2010, 8:25 AM
We've got a stealthy kit as Jethro mentioned and there are also other kits out there with larger automotive style filters on them. It's all a matter of taste really when it comes to the visuals but one thing everybody agrees on is that you've gotta have a filter somewhere.

Torch
02-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Anybody know of a complete oil filter setup? I'm not too thrilled to run a filter setup on my t100 but I have an after market oil tank with no filtration. Also I will be running a restrictor block to get oil to the top end, would this have negative effects as far as oil returning to the oil tank with a filter setup? Thanks
Well I don't agree that all Triumphs have to have filters, but then I don't sell filters for a living. I have been working on Triumphs and many other bikes for over 40 years now and here is my opinion on filters.......All of the parts of the oil system including the length of the tubing as well as the size of the restriction hole have to do with the separation of air and the amount of oil going to the rocker boxes. the screen at the supply tube will block out the large particles and I think "Lowbrow" sells a weld in replacement. In my opinion adding a filter to the system is not only unnecessary but upsets the return system oil resistance. The Triumph oil system has been working fine without a filter since 1906.
Now that you have an aftermarket oil tank try to duplicate the original Triumph set up and make sure you getting enough flow to the rockers and not too much. you can do damage to the top end by getting too much oil to the rockers.
I have several friends in they're late 70's that are original owners of high mileage Triumphs (both stock and chopper) that have never had a filter or a cooler. Why not just change the oil regularly and not have all these hoses and filters hanging all over the bike, Remember the more connections you have, the more leaks you'll have.

KT
02-14-2010, 12:35 PM
I removed my filter on pretty much alot of the points you are stating , You change the oil on a bike alot sooner then a car lets say ...Plus like you also said been running them that way for over 100 years with little to no problems...Some oil tanks like my ariel one have a screen over the feed line in the tank ...I say if your really worried about metal fragments and such install a magnetic drain plug

Also any dirt sludge in the oil well that's why there is the infamous sludge trap ,but regular oil changes and a good grade oil will help this problem anyways....

On the flip side I have never seen a study on it proving a filter to be a no no or anything.....

Shoots
02-14-2010, 5:58 PM
I like to change my oil on a regular basis just picky that way. Lowbrow has a bung for a reg tri filter at the bottom of the oil tank. I could cut the bung out and replace it with a stock one. I don't want to run a oil filter.