PDA

View Full Version : Legal question, state to state

NIGHTTIGER666
12-06-2012, 6:22 PM
I'm not quite sure how to search for this so here goes. I've never been pulled over on my bike and I've only really ridden through NJ and NY. I don't have mirrors, signals, or horns... Can cops in different states ticket me for their states laws?

nachos4life
12-06-2012, 6:24 PM
Yup. Google is your friend for this.

pTc
12-06-2012, 6:25 PM
yep. they can ticket you with their local regs. Same with helmets across state lines.

Andy
12-06-2012, 6:31 PM
Yep!

NIGHTTIGER666
12-06-2012, 7:27 PM
Thanks. I figured so much about helmets. Any advice for taking big trips save for not getting pulled over?

ARBY
12-06-2012, 8:21 PM
Thanks. I figured so much about helmets. Any advice for taking big trips save for not getting pulled over?

Be sure your bike is legal in your home state and you'll be fine elsewhere.

MIKE47
12-06-2012, 8:42 PM

Don't be a douchebag kinda works most the time. Average looking dudes on bikes riding them normally seldom get any grief. Dress like a tool or look ultra disturbing then expect a crooked eye. Even if they pull you over being cooperative helps. We were stopped in Cali in 2011 for an obstructed license plate/ no tail lamp (saddle bag completly covering the derby mounted plate and lamp). Cop gave the rider the 3rd degree on why it was a NJ license and a VT plate and all that and suggested he refit the bag but after it checked out and he was satisfied we weren't running dope he turned us loose. Most the time on trips I find the local police are just happy to see you keep going.

dazegoneby
12-06-2012, 9:13 PM
when in states, out side your own,you are subject to other states laws ,,ex,(helmets ,Lights on )but dont think if you run straight pipes, the law in myrtle beach wont pull you over for loud pipes,antiuqe status not sure but here in va,,, not supposed to run after dark,even have inspection,!!!, even though inspection on bikes with antiuqe tags not required???seriously was mailed a sheet,, pertaing to black tags ,,,ok they check over vehicle, even though inspection not required by law????old dominion ,,,more like a comunistwealth,,,,,,just take it easy in forien territory,,

LinkBelt
12-06-2012, 9:51 PM
17 is legal on Texas. Oh wrong legal question.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

ARBY
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
17 is legal on Texas. Oh wrong legal question.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

But still valuable info to have.

hillakilla
12-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Be sure your bike is legal in your home state and you'll be fine elsewhere.

this is how i thought it worked too, but this doesn't seem to be what others are saying.

i can't speak to any bike-specific issues, but i do know that on a car in michigan, you only need a license plate on the rear, and you can't be ticketed in other states for not having one on the front if you have valid michigan registration.

you do have to follow the helmet laws of the state you are in.

Evidence
12-07-2012, 12:37 PM
I live in Kansas City, which is half in Kansas, half in Missouri. The laws on either side of the line are completely different, Missouri has a helmet law and Kansas doesn't, and a few other stupid laws. Ive ridden bikes with no mirrors, no blinkers, all that jazz and have never been harassed by either side of the line...I know for a fact Missouri cops will pop you for no helmet, but other than that I think the "dont be a douche" principle applies well to every state.

MrSinister
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Most cops will give you a break on equipment violations if you're out of state from my experience.

Jersey is not one of them.