PDA

View Full Version : Endless amount of stuff to do after fix-it ticket

elsuavecito7
12-06-2012, 6:08 PM
first off, i didn't find a thread on fix-it tickets in general, just specific situations such as mine, if i missed the appropriate thread to place this in I apologize

so i get pulled over today by a california CHP after school...i didnt commit a traffic violation but got pulled over for having loud straight pipes, no speedo, illegally mounted plates, no turn signals. The chippie wasn't a dick, just another CHP with a quota, and gave me the run down on what i needed to do and that I would be charged with a misdemeanor if i was caught riding it without getting it fixed. He didn't impound my bike, he let me ride it "straight home" .

What my question is, if i get all that stupid shit put on the bike, pass the inspection, remove everything after passing and get pulled over again, will i be charged that misdemeanor or is that only if i ride it for now until i pass inspection? Some people would be okay with a dinky misdemeanor but I'll pass on that since it would crap on my career choice...any input would help, thanks fellas.

JohnnyRainbow
12-06-2012, 6:17 PM
Move. In NC, all you need is a mirror and a horn. I still don't have a horn. Cops love my bike.

elsuavecito7
12-06-2012, 6:35 PM
Dude! that's awesome...cali is way too anal about regulating regulations that regulate regulated regulations on things

emmure
12-06-2012, 6:38 PM
no blinkers,no horn,and cut straight pipes never been stoped by a cops

BrandonThePleb
12-06-2012, 6:47 PM
no blinkers,no horn,and cut straight pipes never been stoped by a cops

Come to SoCal. the 50 have a hard on for guys like us.

elsuavecito7
12-06-2012, 7:00 PM
yea i hear ya brandon...At least up in Norcal where I'm located, it's only CHP that is a problem. City cops always wave when I'm on my bike and Sheriff's department is even cooler than city...like I said, CHP and their fuckin' quotas man...

Stubs
12-06-2012, 7:56 PM
Move. In NC, all you need is a mirror and a horn. I still don't have a horn. Cops love my bike.

You can legally split lanes in Ca. I'd ride a bone stock Nightster for that.

ARBY
12-06-2012, 8:11 PM
[QUOTE=elsuavecito7;416569
....What my question is, if i get all that stupid shit put on the bike, pass the inspection, remove everything after passing and get pulled over again, will i be charged that misdemeanor or is that only if i ride it for now until i pass inspection? Some people would be okay with a dinky misdemeanor but I'll pass on that since it would crap on my career choice...any input would help, thanks fellas.[/QUOTE]

The fact that it happened and you got it fixed will be part of your driving record. But because you got it fixed it's not held against you. If the next cop that pulls you over sees that and he/she will 'cuz it'll come up on the screen, you definitely won't get the same courtesy you got the first time.

But life is full of choices, some good some not so good and we live or die by them all. Real outlaws know that and they go for it. "So if yer gonna be a bear, be a GRIZZLY bear!"

Grantman
12-06-2012, 8:18 PM
That sucks. I live in Bakersfield (about 100 mi north of LA) and as long as you don't act like an ass or do full throttle near a cop they pretty much leave you alone. Cali does go in cycles, I remember when a cracked windshield was an automatic stop and ticket, now there are tons of cracked windshields around, I even saw one dude with no windshield drive past a cop and no stop!

Tito
12-06-2012, 8:26 PM
I live in Sac, and got a few fix it tickets on my chop last year. It was a CHP bike cop. I made a self-contained turn signal set that can be put on and off in a few minutes, and plugs into my battery. I got my tickets signed off, paid the 'hush fees' and immediately went home and took all the junk off.

I haven't seen that same cop since, but I know if I do, he will probably try throw every vehicle code at me. He wrote in the back of his ticket book a few of my 'identifying marks'.

[as far as I know] The CHP does not record your fix-it tickets, so any other officer would not know that you've been cited before.

There's a price for riding a bike that increase as you take stuff off.

elsuavecito7
12-06-2012, 10:53 PM
thanks for the feedback fellas, for now i'm set on fixing SOME of the stuff but what I'm worried about is whether it's true what the CHP officer said about me riding my bike as it is until my court date...he said if i get stopped riding my bike between now and the day of my court date (february) i'll get a fine, have it impounded, and will be charged with a misdemeanor...seems like bullshit to me

tyeavic
12-07-2012, 12:21 AM
How were you plates mounted that made the, illegal?

Allen
12-07-2012, 1:40 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QeZMBX56_l0/TRUN2LtMQYI/AAAAAAAAFf8/OlBx4TbWwR0/s1600/CHP1.png

... you gotta read the small print all the time. There's probably a law that covers "anything" any LEO ever wants to write you up for... you can fight it, but it'll still involve you handing your $$$ over to begin with, and that's the name of the game. Getting your $$$ into their hands.

CaviMike
12-07-2012, 2:17 AM
I think at this point you have two options:

#1) Fix everything on the bike (LOL)

#2) Modify the bike so it looks completely different and get new riding gear so you look completely different as well. Quiet it up a little bit too. Not much, just enough. Most likely you/your bike is on their bulletin and they'll be looking for you to fuck up and ride the thing again.

I used to drive like a complete maniac - didn't have a license for over 8 years but kept driving. Things have changed a bit since then, don't get away with no license/insurance/registration and improper plates in NY anymore but regardless - I got rid of all my old cars that were on bulletin and bought one new one. Even though the car was WAY more flashy and a hell of a lot faster than any of my older cars, I never got pulled over again.

elsuavecito7
12-07-2012, 3:14 AM

my plates were mounted vertically rather than horizontally as the gentleman has highlighted above.

cavimike: I like that second option...luckily, im wearing shitty riding gear at the moment until i get what I picked up on craigslist/ebay so i got that covered...i don't want to change my pipe set-up...any idea what kind of baffles I can improvise that won't quiet them down too much?

CaviMike
12-07-2012, 4:31 AM
Easiest and cheapest thing I can think of is do what old-school rat-rodders used to do with their zoomies, cut half-round pieces of sheet-metal and tack it into the end of your pipes. Or just get some baffles.

threat357
12-07-2012, 5:12 AM
Dude, I had the same shit happen to me here in Vegas a handful of months ago. Cop stopped me for loud pipes, rattled off about 8 different ways in which my bike's not street legal. Told me next time he'd cite me and misdemeanor and all that same shit if I didn't fix it. i just change up my route home from work every once in a while. Out here, we've got a lot of fuckin cops. Odds are, I'm not gettin hit by the same one twice, and they're not gonna put out an APB over no horn and missing mirrors.

Sent from hell

Minimalist
12-07-2012, 9:53 AM
Man. Alabama is where it's at. All we need is a headlight, tail light, and supposedly a mirror, but i havent had one in years.

Evidence
12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Do they actually check to see if you fixed it in Cali? I got a fix it ticket here once for not having any mirrors, and they didnt even check. I paid them my 60 bucks and went on my merry way. Actually went and got on the exact bike I got pulled over on, and it still didnt have any mirrors when I left the courthouse lol.

byronj
12-07-2012, 12:17 PM
What type and year of bike are you riding. That can have a lot to do with your fix it ticket. As for the plate you have to do what that law states but if its a 72 or older you can get away from blinkers, horn, etc

backwithabang
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Basic rule I abide by.

Don't drive like an asshole and stay the fuck out of posh suburbs and the cops don't give a fuck

53rigid
12-07-2012, 1:02 PM
One thing in minnesota they did was give you the option of paying the vanity plate fee and then have your MC plate printed vertically so you do not have to mount horizontally. I still run mine the way it came from the DMV though and have no issues.

elsuavecito7
12-07-2012, 1:05 PM
What type and year of bike are you riding. That can have a lot to do with your fix it ticket. As for the plate you have to do what that law states but if its a 72 or older you can get away from blinkers, horn, etc

I have an 81 xs650

Cavimike: tacking some pieces of metal doesn't sound like too bad of an idea Thanks

Evidence: unfortunately I do have to show them by a certain date, that I fixed it...all of it