PDA

View Full Version : Hobart or realgear?

bonesxl1100
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
So im finally gonna buy a mig welder. I basically narrowed it down to these two. The realgear cause the price is right,i heard decent things about them, and theres a dealer right by me.

http://www.gts-welco.com/gts-welco.aspx?pcid=263&ptid=1

Or a hobart 140 which is also a decent price and a couple people i know have them and like them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500500-Handler-115-Volt-Single-Phase/dp/B0002PS7SA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1354815803&sr=1-1&keywords=Hobart

Which would you choose? Im leaning towards the realgear for the reasons stated above.

Ironsled77
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Neither

but if I had to pick I would go with the hobart. Its a knockoff miller and if shit hits the fan with it, it would be easier to service.

Nottso
12-06-2012, 12:09 PM
For the price of the Hobart , you can buy a Lincoln 140HD. I have one and I've got to say it's a damned nice little welder for only running on 110v. Home Depot has it for $524 on their website with fee shipping. They also give you the option to buy it online and pick it up at the store. They carry this in stock so you could likely have it today.

brenderson
12-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I have the handler 140 and I love it. Really easy to set up and hasnt had a problem yet. Not to mention, Hobart customer service is amazing. One day i accidently knocked over my 40cf gas cylinder and it dented my regulator (the one that Hobart provides with the 140 handler). It dented it bad enough that the flow rate gauge would not give a measurement at all. So I shot a quick email to Hobart telling them about it, along with a photo of the damage, and within a few days I had a brand new regulator sitting at my doorstep waiting for me. They didn't even ask me for my old one back either!

If you do decide to go with the Hobart, get it from northerntool.com, its cheaper than the amazon link you provided, and it has free shipping.

sixball
12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Short awnser: Hobart.

Background: Hobart is made by Miller. I used to deliver to a Hobart factory. ALOT of Miller internals are in that machine, and those are quality internals. I like the Miller/Hobart guns.

You can read all day a million posts from guys saying "don't by a 110 mig." But it depends on what you are doing. People say buy the biggest machine you can afford, because you will grow into it. My argument is: Not everyone has the need to weld a frame together or tig alluminium, nor will they ever. For brackets, exhausts, fab work, tanks, etc... A 110 is enough. If you don't see yourself building frames in the future, than a 110 Hobart Handler 140 is a great machine.

They can be bought/sold on craigslist used for around 200 to 300, so worst case, you use it for several years and sell it for a couple hundred less than you have in it, but keep in mind all the use you got out of it.

Main thing is decieding what you need it for and what you think you may need it for in the future.

Sixball

bonesxl1100
12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys. Think i just decided against the realgear. The crap warranty they have on it was also a deciding factor. Now im looking at the hobart140 vs the lincoln 140. The hobart has a 5 year and the lincoln has a 3 year warranty. They are virtually the same price. (25 dollar difference)

sixball
12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
The Lincoln that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot or the like are NOT the same as the Lincoln dealer will sell you. The store bought ones have plastic gears. The dealers won't even work on them.

I bought one from Lowes several years ago, and after afew welds (with gas) it started spitting and I was getting crappy welds. I talked to a local Lincoln dealer and he explained all the differences in the dealer 140 and the store bought version. Luckily I was able to return it to Lowes for a refund. While I was there returning it the tool clerk told me that about 1 out of 3 they sell come back for either a refund or waranty work because something failed. I don't know if they have upped there game now or what, but I wasn't one of the lucy ones that got a working unit.

The Hobart is a well built machine. I started out with an old Millermatic 135 and the Hobart 140 is basically the same machine.

SIxball

bonesxl1100
12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Awesome exactly the info i need. Since you mentioned that, i vaguely remember someone saying that about the lincoln welders at the box stores before.

bonesxl1100
12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Think im going with the hobart through northerntool. Its free shipping and ill get a 50 gift card from them too for spending 500 bucks. Sweet

Plus they're throwing in a free cart.

applecore
12-06-2012, 12:49 PM
i vote the hobart i use one alot they are great machines

Nottso
12-06-2012, 1:03 PM
The Lincoln that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot or the like are NOT the same as the Lincoln dealer will sell you. The store bought ones have plastic gears. The dealers won't even work on them.

I bought one from Lowes several years ago, and after afew welds (with gas) it started spitting and I was getting crappy welds. I talked to a local Lincoln dealer and he explained all the differences in the dealer 140 and the store bought version. Luckily I was able to return it to Lowes for a refund. While I was there returning it the tool clerk told me that about 1 out of 3 they sell come back for either a refund or waranty work because something failed. I don't know if they have upped there game now or what, but I wasn't one of the lucy ones that got a working unit.

The Hobart is a well built machine. I started out with an old Millermatic 135 and the Hobart 140 is basically the same machine.

SIxball

I'm afraid that that dealer sold you a line of bullshit. Lincoln wouldn't risk their good name by building junk for certain stores. That's why there are "private label goods" and subsidiary divisions like Hobart is to Miller. I took this pic of the metal drive wheels in mine about 2 minutes ago.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/DanAuctions4u/PICT0023.jpg

cabinetjesus
12-06-2012, 1:14 PM
Bones ive got a 50 dollar off coupon for Northern if you want it pm me your addy and i'll mail it to ya.

sixball
12-06-2012, 1:23 PM
I'm afraid that that dealer sold you a line of bullshit. Lincoln wouldn't risk their good name by building junk for certain stores. That's why there are "private label goods" and subsidiary divisions like Hobart is to Miller. I took this pic of the metal drive wheels in mine about 2 minutes ago.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/DanAuctions4u/PICT0023.jpg

Plastic gears, not drive wheels. I never said they were junk, nor did the dealer. They are sold as a hobbyist version of there professional welders. If you go to a dealer they will tell you the same and possibly show you the gears that are metal in there units that would be plastic in the store bought versions. The other difference are the controls are tapped in the store bought version. I had a bad expierience with mine and did the research and talked to a reputable dealer. Also if you look a the price (back then don't know the exact ammounts now) The dealer version was about 900$ and the store bought ones were about 5-550. So obviously there are some differences, not junk, just differences as I said.

Sixball

bonesxl1100
12-06-2012, 1:46 PM
Bones ive got a 50 dollar off coupon for Northern if you want it pm me your addy and i'll mail it to ya.

Shit! Awesome offer man thanks. But i actually ordered it already. :cheersmate:

And thanks for the info and opinions guys.

Nottso
12-06-2012, 2:18 PM
Plastic gears, not drive wheels. I never said they were junk, nor did the dealer. They are sold as a hobbyist version of there professional welders. If you go to a dealer they will tell you the same and possibly show you the gears that are metal in there units that would be plastic in the store bought versions. The other difference are the controls are tapped in the store bought version. I had a bad expierience with mine and did the research and talked to a reputable dealer. Also if you look a the price (back then don't know the exact ammounts now) The dealer version was about 900$ and the store bought ones were about 5-550. So obviously there are some differences, not junk, just differences as I said.

Sixball

That's a magnet hanging from the gear in the bottom pic. I don't know what else to tell ya.

The good news is that I finally fixed the date on my camera.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/DanAuctions4u/PICT0024.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/DanAuctions4u/PICT0026.jpg

cabinetjesus
12-06-2012, 6:24 PM
Shit! Awesome offer man thanks. But i actually ordered it already. :cheersmate:

And thanks for the info and opinions guys.

That sucks!! I looked at the coupon and you can enter the numbers in the promo box and get the discount,if anyone else needs it let me know. I have 50 off a 250 purchase and 20 off a 100 dollar purchase they send them to me at work where I buy from them.

aaronc
12-06-2012, 6:52 PM
You'll like the 140,it did me well for years.I just bought the hobart 190 and I love that thing.

misfitJason
12-06-2012, 8:58 PM
I have a Hobart 110 and have had it for years. Before I got it, it was used in my uncle's machine shop. No plastic wheels and it hasn't let me down. I run shielded wire and works for what I need it to do.

heretic530
12-06-2012, 9:14 PM
I have the little hobart 140 at home. I got it on a trade, and I do like having it for little stuff in the garage. In the shop I have multiple welders, including a big miller. I still even have the big miller generator/ welder that used to be on the front of my race car trailer.
I have no complaints with the little 140. It does me well, and will lay a good bead when I need it to. It is about 6 years old and he only time I had a problem with it was when a kink in the wire got it bound up

I made the mistake of getting a junk mig welder once before, and now I am pretty picky. I did not realize that the Snap On 110 mig was made by century. I hated that short duty cycle POS from the first day I had it

bonesxl1100
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Well it sounds like I made the right choice with the help of everybody's input. Can't wait to get it. Now I'm gonna have to teach myself how to weld. I've got some scrap steel to practice laying beads on.

IIIsticks
12-07-2012, 7:05 AM
I have been eyeing this hobart for a while for $820 it comes with a spool gun!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482227_200482227

Newporabbit
12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Well it sounds like I made the right choice with the help of everybody's input to my anus. Can't wait to get it up the butt. Now I'm gonna have to teach myself how to be a gay. I've got some men to practice laying hot loads on.

Dude... what a gay! Nice choice on the welder btw

bonesxl1100
12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Dude... what a gay! Nice choice on the welder btw

Hahaha. You fucking gay bastard. Here ya go......:asshat:

Next time im over at the shop, try not to masturbate by the lathe again. That shit is dangerous.

derelick
01-06-2013, 2:14 PM
I'm looking to pick up a hobart 140 this week from northern. If anyone has the coupon code can you please pm me, much appreciated.

cabinetjesus
01-07-2013, 7:15 AM
Hey iron pm'd you the info on the coupon code.