PDA

View Full Version : Can a use a rim with a slight dent?

Badassjamie
12-05-2012, 6:59 PM
I just got a pretty nice, good looking rim but it has a small "ding" on one lip. It's fairly hard to notice unless your looking for it. If you roll the wheel it would wobble slightly when it hits that spot.

It looks great otherwise and again its a slight indentation on an outter lip. I haven't laced it yet but I'm sure it will go together easy enough, I just want to know if it's okay to use or will the tire not seat properly?

randommayhem
12-05-2012, 7:28 PM
Can you beat it out with a deadblow or a 2x4 and a BFH?

heretic530
12-05-2012, 7:35 PM
many little dents are not a problem once a tire is installed. have the local shop spin it on a tire machine once it is laced. If it is not really out of round, you will probably be fine.
A lot of small shops will spin it for a minimal amount or even free. I would charge you a pepsi to check that

edit... I use a piece of Delrin (poly urethane cutting board type material) for wheel straightening on dirt bike rims. Put it on the wheel and use the afore mentioned BFH

Badassjamie
12-05-2012, 7:43 PM
It certainly appears that it could be tapped out with the right hammer. It's something I've never had to do and I've never ran wheels that ever had any issues.

I see a ton of wheels bought and sold on ebay with larger dents so I figure if someone is buying them, they must be potentially runnable.

I hoping it will be fine,

badger
12-05-2012, 8:55 PM
Don't know if this helps you or not but here is a pic of the rear rim on my Triumph, not sure how the location of the dent compares to yours, but as you can see it's for sure noticeable! Its been like this since I bought it and I've put hard miles on it, it wobbles slightly when spun but the tire seats fine and you can't even its tweaked when under way.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x272/rlworzella/2012-12-05_20-44-29_914.jpg

Badassjamie
12-05-2012, 9:25 PM
Here it is, maybe this might help.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32507&stc=1&d=1354764260
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32506&stc=1&d=1354764202

heretic530
12-05-2012, 9:35 PM
that does not look bad..I would try it

xllance
12-05-2012, 10:00 PM
It will probably be fine for a while but more than likely your tire will devolop a bad spot and begin to hop. That's what mine did and it looks about like yours.

ShytHed
12-06-2012, 5:22 AM
I run a rear rim that is bent in the same spot as yours. Some dumbass (me) got a little over zealous with the tire iron and got things a little out of whack. but i haven't had any problems with mine. so long as the bead can seal and it's not so bad that they can't balance it then i think it should be fine.

Bear
12-06-2012, 5:48 AM
I find unless your really pulling race track speeds you dont feel it. I have run unbalanced tries an dented up rims on many beaters over the years and I'm still here. I wish I had shot of one I ran with a litteral flat spot, the beed was almost out and it was fine, eventually blew the bearings. -Bear

aaronc
12-06-2012, 6:19 AM
My back tire on my rigid has a dent about 3x as bad as that and I cant tell.

justafurnaceman
12-06-2012, 7:06 AM
I run a rear rim that is bent in the same spot as yours. Some dumbass (me) got a little over zealous with the tire iron and got things a little out of whack. but i haven't had any problems with mine. so long as the bead can seal and it's not so bad that they can't balance it then i think it should be fine.

I did the same thing and I'm not noticing any problems. After running around town with it I took it up to highway speeds and didn't notice any problems.

byronj
12-06-2012, 1:54 PM
It should be fine, but I would form a piece of wood to back the rim up and then tap it back with a heavy mallet. If you dont it will still be fine but if youre like me it will bug the shit out of you.