PDA

View Full Version : Paint for Idiots....

Murph
12-04-2012, 5:51 PM
I'm looking to paint my bike over the winter...I have painted before but I used some "premixed" paint and a clearcoat from Autozone.The base was ok but the clear was rough when I layed it on.I was gonna order some PPG paint but I have no idea what I should use...which clearcoat etc. .....I've seen some great paintjobs here so I was hoping for some direction..My paint was decent but I lost a Hardbag on the highway and I'm never gonna be able to match the flake and flames.....Youtube sucks for DIY....

JohnnyRainbow
12-04-2012, 6:13 PM
Go to your local paint supply shop and ask a million stupid questions then do whatever they say (and write down the instructions, you'll never remember from the purchase to the paint). That's what I did and it turned out fucking awesome.

calicruiser
12-04-2012, 7:16 PM
bravo^^^ exatly what ya need to do. that is what they are there for! they wont teach u to paint but they will tell you how to properly mix it. thats 1/4 of the battle;-)

sixball
12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
If you got your clear from Autozone, it was probably the "paint shop" or something like that. That stuff is made by Duplicolor, and has NO hardner in it. It's a laquer, but it's basically like shooting spraypaint out of a gun, so actually it's not "real" paint.

Sixball

OhioFlameThrower
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm looking to paint my bike over the winter...I have painted before but I used some "premixed" paint and a clearcoat from Autozone.The base was ok but the clear was rough when I layed it on.I was gonna order some PPG paint but I have no idea what I should use...which clearcoat etc. .....I've seen some great paintjobs here so I was hoping for some direction..My paint was decent but I lost a Hardbag on the highway and I'm never gonna be able to match the flake and flames.....Youtube sucks for DIY....

PPG is excellent paint, but spendy. I recommend using House of Kolor... less expensive (due to no licensing for OEM colors) especially if you buy it on-line. I order 90% of my materials as HOK from www.smartshoppersinc.com. They have the entire HOK line in their inventory, delivers within a few days, and will save you major bank.

The entire HOK line is in transition from "Shimrin 1" to "Shimrin 2". Either line is the same except the Shimrin 2 line is going to have the painter adding the metallics and shit to the base colors. Pick your HOK colors (the Smart Shoppers web-page has an on-line HOK color chart). Order Shimrin colors for the basecoats along with RU310 reducer (they mix at a 2:1 ratio). use the intercoat clear (SG100) reduced 2:1 with RU310 over the basecoat... 3 coats then wet-sand with 1000-grit. Clearcoat it with UC35 clearcoat using a 2:1:1 ratio with KU150 catalyst and RU310 reducer.

I use the HOK DTM3000 epoxy primer... but you can shoot HOK directly over Dupli-Color's rattle-can lacquer-based primers. It will be just fine.

If you have any question, just let me know. If you decide to just get it painted, feel free to ask me for a quote to paint it for you... buying these materials is gomnna get expensive and you are only gonna use 1/3 of the quarts that you purchase (so it may make more sense to just get it painted by a local pro... or by me!).

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

ARBY
12-05-2012, 1:02 PM
Will HOK or similar clear coat work and adhere over lacquer? I can't afford the magical work that I see on this board, nor can I afford to purchase the high grade paint and materials to do it myself.

My thought is to use spray-and-pray, ready-to-shoot lacquer and at least put a quality finish coat on top. Any thoughts?

OhioFlameThrower
12-05-2012, 2:37 PM
Will HOK or similar clear coat work and adhere over lacquer? I can't afford the magical work that I see on this board, nor can I afford to purchase the high grade paint and materials to do it myself.

My thought is to use spray-and-pray, ready-to-shoot lacquer and at least put a quality finish coat on top. Any thoughts?

My experience is "no" for 2-part catalyzed urethane clearcoat. lacquer primer will accept basecoat, but times when I've inadvertently sprayed lacquer with urethane clearcoat has caused it to wrinkle.

ARBY
12-05-2012, 2:39 PM
my experience is "no" for 2-part catalyzed urethane clearcoat. Lacquer primer will accept basecoat, but times when i've inadvertently sprayed lacquer with urethane clearcoat has caused it to wrinkle.

Shit!

Murph
12-05-2012, 5:51 PM
Thanks...thats the kinda info I was looking for.I think the Autozone crap was Duplicolor....It sprayed crappy and the clear was really rough.I tried to sand it and reclear but it was shitty.I'm in Cape Cod in Massachusetts , so Ohio is a little outta my way...I'm just looking to not screw up too bad.I'm thinking a Dark charcoal metallic and maybe some black flame pinstriping...nothing too crazy.

OhioFlameThrower
12-05-2012, 8:22 PM
Thanks...thats the kinda info I was looking for.I think the Autozone crap was Duplicolor....It sprayed crappy and the clear was really rough.I tried to sand it and reclear but it was shitty.I'm in Cape Cod in Massachusetts , so Ohio is a little outta my way...I'm just looking to not screw up too bad.I'm thinking a Dark charcoal metallic and maybe some black flame pinstriping...nothing too crazy.

Order some HOK "Galaxy Grey" metallic... super-sharp color. You will need to order a quart (you'll only use 1/3 of it)... unfortunately, just checked on smartshoppersinc.com and that color is not listed as available any longer but you can get a quart on eBay for around $53. Order a quart of RU310 reducer for $15, a quart of UC35 Kosmic Klear for $35, a half-pint of KU150 Catalyst for $15, U01Z4 Black Striping Enamel for $15, and U00P Striping Reducer for $16. Since you are planning to gun-spray, I'd recommend getting some 2-part epoxy primer... I like HOK's KD3000 plus KDA3000 catalyst, but you could shoot other brands like TranStar, etc.

BTW, in the past several months I've painted bikes from Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey... along with Washington, California, Nevada, Montana, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio (of course)!

Good luck with it and lemme know if you need any advice. Be sure you have a spraying space with a temp around 70 degrees... and no lower than 60 degrees... and plenty of solid ventilation.

motorlou
12-05-2012, 11:24 PM

arby, I just wanted to throw my two cents in about rattlecan paint and legit clear. I have done it many times when I am not in a rush. you have to let the rattlecan paint sit a couple days before you can throw real clear on it. I have had it chemically react when I tried to rush things. IT IS NOT PRETTY!!!

OhioFlameThrower
12-06-2012, 6:20 AM
arby, I just wanted to throw my two cents in about rattlecan paint and legit clear. I have done it many times when I am not in a rush. you have to let the rattlecan paint sit a couple days before you can throw real clear on it. I have had it chemically react when I tried to rush things. IT IS NOT PRETTY!!!

Interesting to hear... it's just a coin flip. As you said, when it chemically reacts it's like dumping paint stripper on it!

ARBY
12-06-2012, 7:17 AM
Thanks Lou and OFT. I guess I'll just have to give it a try. I'll lay out and shoot the design then let it sit for a week or so before I shoot the clear and we'll see what happens. If it doesn't work out, well that's why I have that nice blast cabinet in the shop.

Lord knows I'd probably sell a testicle to pay for a paint job from either one of you two guys but right now it just isn't in the stars. Maybe some day. Before I go the lacquer route I'll run down to the local paint distributor and get some info from him also. I've spoken with him a few times and he's a pretty cool guy who has done a ton of custom car work in his day but he always seems more interested in selling me a $500+ spray gun than anything else. And he won't paint motorcycles.