PDA

View Full Version : My xs650 build - Nearly Done

coachstorms
02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
We all know "done" is a relative term but...over the weekend I managed to finish up all that i can do on my build. Rode her around the block on sunday morning, made all the beers, swearing, money and frustration of the last 8 months totally worth it. It's no where near tuned up yet but I got a buddy who is gonna jet the carbs and adjust the clutch as soon as i can get it to him, i hope to be in the wind by the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rkPbUMupY4

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/voodooriders/xs650%20Build/CIMG1651.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/voodooriders/xs650%20Build/CIMG1659.jpg

REV
02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
cool looking. an interesting green, i like how you color matched the lowers

motoguru
02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
that's a damn good looking piece of japanese iron!

turtle
02-01-2010, 2:28 PM
dig ythe green wire and hose too.

viz
02-01-2010, 6:16 PM
Looks great man. Nice job and congrats! There is no better feeling then when you fire it up for the first time and ride away on it. Damn it really does make all the bullshit you go thru worth while. Well done and enjoy it.

nohonestlyitsme
02-01-2010, 7:04 PM
nice, not like every other xs you see plus 1 for originality

SMChewy
02-01-2010, 7:39 PM
A+ in my book. Looks good. Hope to have that same feeling in a few weeks on mine. Getting so close I can almost taste the bugs already!

coachstorms
02-01-2010, 7:49 PM
thanks for all the feedback. i knew when i started which direction i wanted to take, a few changes along the way and this is what I came out on the otherside with. I'll save my +6 frontend for the next one i guess...

philbey
02-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Where'd you get the forwards from?

Do you find that your thighs hit the frame with the seat that low?

coachstorms
02-02-2010, 7:25 AM
philbey, they are tc bros that i stiffened up with a long piece of all-thread and some pipe. My legs touch the frame a little but not much since I am fairly long legged.

bdbecker
02-02-2010, 1:12 PM
Nicely done sir! Everyone should take notes on how you mounted that seat - nice and low, and without an insane gap between the rear of the pan and the fender. Like the color scheme too. Quick question - what hand controls are you running on that thing? Is that the slimline MC from MikesXS?

coachstorms
02-02-2010, 3:46 PM
becker, thanks brother. for my controls the clutch is the original lever from 1973 and the brakes is mikes slimline. Last night i sawed off the balls (ouch!) on the end of each and used a rotary tool to grind em' back down nice and smooth so they match better. That black bath tub porcelin/epoxy touch-up paint is awesome for after the fact stuff like that too.

jfk
02-02-2010, 5:04 PM
Looks good. I like the tank.

philbey
02-02-2010, 5:45 PM
Yeh I figured you'd be a tall bloke. I agree though you've got a fairly small gap between the seat and fender, that's the problem with the TC tail's stretch and the XS backbone, it's hard to get the seat mount in a good spot. Mine would look better with shorter springs but I'll just fall off when I Gas it.

What's your review of the slimline MC? I've been considering getting one, seeing your's definitely tells me that visually it's a good idea.

coachstorms
02-04-2010, 7:47 AM
I love how the slim-line looks, pretty slick. Seems like a really nice product, hope my opinion doesnt change once I pile some miles on it.

I used a TC tail as well, just moved the crossbar that is only tacked in when you get it further back down the tail. I'm 6'4 and 275lbs so i do make the bike look small but it doesnt bother me at all, the riding position is comfortable. Here's a pic from awhile back...

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu223/voodooriders/xs650%20Build/IMG00215.jpg

SB666
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
is that a mini 2.2 gallon mustang tank, or e regular 2.8 or more?

coachstorms
02-04-2010, 3:33 PM
it's the 2.2, I didn't think anything bigger would look right.

framus
02-04-2010, 4:29 PM
I love that green. It wouldn't happen to be the green metalflake stuff that comes in a spray can, would it? If it isn't, it's a dead ringer for it and I'd love to know the part number for it.

philbey
02-04-2010, 5:19 PM
Yeh I am still a bit surprised how small my XS looks, I'm nearly 6'3 myself and when I stand next to it, she's damn low. Next to the old mans ducati 900 darma it's tiny!

coachstorms
02-04-2010, 6:15 PM
framus, your right - it's the metal flake rattle can from the autoparts store, gray primer and a ton of clear coat. The whole bike is rattle can actually. The frame is eastwood satin xtreme chassis black. All the gloss black is appliance epoxy. The motor is VHT. Lots of cans went into the project. Made a homemade paint booth out of plastic drop cloth once I realized that the overspray from the epoxy stuff is crazy.

philbey, next to my harley the xs is just a little bastard - i'll measure my seat height tonite...

just got home - seat height is just about 22 inches.

Zooligan
07-02-2010, 9:20 AM
The frame is eastwood satin xtreme chassis black. All the gloss black is appliance epoxy.

What did you use for primer on the frame and under the epoxy?

coachstorms
07-04-2010, 10:50 AM
on the frame I used the eastwood chassis black primer. Under the epoxy - nothing, you dont use a primer. Just prep, clean, spray 3 coats within 30 minutes allowing 5 minutes or so between coats.

coachstorms
07-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Made a few changes since those other pics but I am basically done except for getting it titled and registered...

tobiism
07-04-2010, 1:29 PM
I guess i could show a few more recent pics...

Made a few changes since these but I am basically done except for getting it titled and registered...

Looking good man. If you need a level 1 inspection, take the bike and all the paperwork over to ASAP Title services at the NE corner of Warner and Kyrene. They are awesome there, the place is almost always empty, and it really doesn't cost that much more than the DMV. I waited 10 minutes to get my bike's title and registration done the other day.

coachstorms
07-05-2010, 8:38 AM
Thats good news, thanks brother

coachstorms
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Went to ASAP title and got a 90 day permit will they take care of the bond title process - that place is awesome. Also passed emissions and my level II inspection. Now I gotta get this thing out on the road a little bit close to home and make sure it's solid and not just waiting to kill me the first chance it gets. Took a few pics this morning too...

gravitywerx
07-21-2010, 3:13 PM
This is a good looking bike bro......

hammey13
07-21-2010, 6:56 PM
OSGD!!! in full effect. Looks good man. Fat Guy On A Little Bike! Love you bro! OSGD