PDA

View Full Version : XS650 - Things that ROCK

Punkskalar
01-29-2010, 9:43 PM
For things that SUCK, go here: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2466

Since alot of guys are building and modding these things, thought a good thread on what works and works well should be here...

These are my personal experiences with parts, purchases, mods, etc...

MikesXS.com - Engine Gasket Set (minus the cylinder base gasket) I've not had a single leak yet, and I've been into this engine several times for work.

MikesXS.com - Overdrive 5th Gear This thing is well machined, fits well, does not make any gear noise, and lets you really stretch out your top end speed. Doesn't fit 77 and earlier transmissions, but you can easily swap transmissions (ebay - cheap) for the later stuff. Gotta split the cases for this one.

Yamaha Stock Parts - 1 Piece clutch rod. Can be found in early engines, or aftermarket at MikesXS. Makes the clutch that much smoother over the 2 piece set-up

Wiseco - 707cc Pistons Stock cylinders work with boring (3mm overbore if I remember right) and you get higher compression than aftermarket 750 kits. I've dropped a valve before with these pistons in place, and they barely show any defect.

EBAY - "stainlesscycle" sells a stainless hardware kit for the engine, and its good stuff, hand polished and much easier than re-using cruddy/rusted stock hardware. The 3 set I have used came labeled and in seperate bags ready to use.

Buchanan's - Spokes I've used cheap aftermarket spokes in the past, never again after dealing with Buchanan's. Excellent customer service and really nice product. Made in the USA!

MikesXS.com - Steering Bearings. Tapered Bearings for the steering neck. Were either Koyo or Timken, but regardless they are the good stuff and makes steering setup much better than the stock beat to death balls and races...

Pamcopete - Electronic Ignition Badass ignition, no where near the cost of boyer last I remember. Uses stock advance unit, runs on 3 wires, requires no "Mystery Black Box" and he makes them right here in the good ol USA. He's in SC, and I've talked to him on the phone several times, and he even came to my place to help me get my re-phased engine started that he custom made the ignition for. It all fits under the cam covers, which is a nice bonus... He's a cool dude, with awesome tech support should you need it, but I doubt you will... He even sent me a "New" rephased ignition after he thought he figured out a few small details that mine didn't have... No Charge, just wanted me to have the right stuff...

MikesXS.com - Fork Seals Many a rough mile on these seals. I bought all new retaining rings, washers, etc... The only thing I did reuse was my stock dust boots, because they were in good condition.

Mikes XS.com - Fork Tubes I bought 3 sets of upper tubes on ebay, all pitted enough to discard, finally bit the bullet and bought new tubes from Mikes. They are GOOD quality hard chrome, nice finish, and fit perfectly... HIGHLY recommended if you need new tubes....

turtle
01-30-2010, 3:44 AM
good info, many thanks

philbey
02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeh I slapped in a set of Mikes tapered roller bearings, much better. Been meaning to check though, what did you do about the Preload on them?

Punkskalar
02-02-2010, 9:24 AM
Yeh I slapped in a set of Mikes tapered roller bearings, much better. Been meaning to check though, what did you do about the Preload on them?

I had the front end off the ground, just the trees, no forks. Using a fish weighing scale, you can pull the trees and read the scale for the amount of resistance.

Or you can just tighten them until they feel good...

philbey
02-02-2010, 5:46 PM
Yup. That's what I did~!

I'm tossing up between a Pamco setup and a Boyer setup, both of which I've heard good things? Any opinions for the bits that ROCK thread?

redsox716
02-02-2010, 6:29 PM
Thanks for this!

SMChewy
02-02-2010, 6:51 PM
Was there an issue with Mike's cylinder base gasket? Or you just never had to replace it? Also, since mine needs to be completely stripped down and rebuilt (blown head gasket caused motor to seize, then motor sat with no oil. Surface rust everywhere), do you know anyone who does a good job re-phasing them? And you got a machine shop that knows these motors for head work and to re-sleeve it for the Wiseco pistons (If they make em for a 256 motor). Are the transmissions swapable with a 71 that has no electric start what so ever? I got a XS1B. Gonna start it as soon as I get my sporty done. I think that's all I got..... for now. Ha ha ha

jamesgs4
02-02-2010, 8:16 PM
Was there an issue with Mike's cylinder base gasket? Or you just never had to replace it? Also, since mine needs to be completely stripped down and rebuilt (blown head gasket caused motor to seize, then motor sat with no oil. Surface rust everywhere), do you know anyone who does a good job re-phasing them? And you got a machine shop that knows these motors for head work and to re-sleeve it for the Wiseco pistons (If they make em for a 256 motor). Are the transmissions swapable with a 71 that has no electric start what so ever? I got a XS1B. Gonna start it as soon as I get my sporty done. I think that's all I got..... for now. Ha ha ha

There are wiseco piston/sleeve 750cc bore kits for 256 motors on ebay right now(not mine).

Punkskalar
02-02-2010, 8:59 PM
Yup. That's what I did~!

I'm tossing up between a Pamco setup and a Boyer setup, both of which I've heard good things? Any opinions for the bits that ROCK thread?

PAMCOPETE - Badass ignition, no where near the cost of boyer last I remember. Uses stock advance unit, runs on 3 wires, requires no "Mystery Black Box" and he makes them right here in the good ol USA. He's in SC, and I've talked to him on the phone several times, and he even came to my place to help me get my re-phased engine started that he custom made the ignition for. He's a cool dude...

Punkskalar
02-02-2010, 9:03 PM
do you know anyone who does a good job re-phasing them?

I personally have NEVER seen another re-phased engine running, except for mine and 2 others on You-tube. I see other forums TALK about rephasing, and claim to have done it, but no real proof. Its alot of work, probably not worth paying someone to do, but I did my own, including my own cam work...

If you are trying to keep numbers correct on your bike, you can switch out all the internals for the later 447 engine guts, which will get you a 20mm wrist pin, and more common piston choices.

Punkskalar
02-02-2010, 9:08 PM

BTW, I am fairly sure I have a good set of 447 cases and transmission if you need them, they are for electric start model... I also have a good set of 256 Cases WITH electric start.. You really need to just PM me or start a new thread where we can answer all this, so as to leave this thread clutter free... :)