PDA

View Full Version : XS650 - Things that suck

Punkskalar
01-29-2010, 8:20 PM
I thought we should have a thread about what to avoid buying/doing to these machines since they are so popular.

For things that ROCK, go here: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2468

Things that suck:

MikesXS.com - Valve Guide Driver Use it to drive them OUT only, use a deep socket and extension to drive them back in. Otherwise, you WILL break the guides.

MikesXS.com - Chrome Anything Its better than old rusty shit, but just barely. Don't polish it much unless you want a copper/chrome finish.

Points - Get yourself a Pamcopete ignition setup and forget about it.

MikesXS.com - Cylinder Base Gasket It will squeeze out and seemingly never stop doing so. Get one from anywhere else, they seem better.

Yamabond - This stuff sucks, use Hondabond instead. Its about the same price, but I've had much better luck with the Hondabond instead.

Wet Cell Batteries - Get a dry cell on a hardtail, trust me. After that wet cell has shaken itself into oblivion and starts boiling over, spewing acid all over your freshly polished aluminum rim and eating into your new jeans and shoes, you'll thank me.

MikesXS.com - Rear Brake switch. It will somehow ground out internally (even though it is plastic????), and you'll never find it until your battery is always dead, and after charging you touch the return spring on the switch and leave most of your skin on it from it being so damned hot. I used a brass one from an early Honda, with no problems to date.

MikesXS.com - Riser Isolators/Dampeners... Should have kept the stock ones. They dry out really fast and start to crack and fall apart in about a year...

MikesXS.com - Oil Hardline Banjo Bolts I could not get them to stock torque specs before 1of them broke off into the head. Clean up the old ones just in case this happens to you... If you get them torqued, I'd imagine they will be fine. I only broke 1, as did my old roommate. Between us we had a good set

Mike's XS-Brass Carb Fuel Line T-Piece pressed it into one carb, then into the other. Tried to reinstall the carb link bar and discovered the fuel tee was too long, resulting in the carbs angling away from one another. Had to remove the tee with pliers, which scratched the finish to death. Filed the ends down and I finally got it to work. Also, the rubber gaskets that come with it are ill-fitting.

Mike's XS-Carb Link Bar Screws website shows nice set of panhead allen bolts, what I got was flathead bolts that would look like ass (they're made for countersunk holes). In fairness to Mike's XS, they did refund the money for them.

MikesXS-Stainless Valves Not sure of what grade stainless they are, but I pulled them this week and they look way more pitted than a 30 year old set of stockers... Stick with stock...

MikesXS- Rubber Handlebar Mounts or riser mounts, whichever you call them. They suck, they are splitting and rotten in less than 2 years and less than 15K miles on my bike.

STOCK CHARGING SYSTEMS completely suck, and when they decide to go downhill, they are $$$ to fix. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the Banshee stuff using Mr Riggs Brackets or the ones I make. Its cheaper, more reliable, and way cleaner wiring. how to: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6223

Im sure there is more, I'll add to it later. Feel free to add your insight to these machines as well.

Lets keep this thread BAD stuff, we can start a thread for stuff that works later...

jamesgs4
01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Rubber parts from mikes xs(grommets,isolater bushings,kickstart rubber etc...), these thing fall apart after a couple of months, nowhere near the quality of the oem rubber parts.

Punkskalar
01-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Rubber parts from mikes xs(grommets,isolater bushings,kickstart rubber etc...), these thing fall apart after a couple of months, nowhere near the quality of the oem rubber parts.

Agreed.

MikesXS.com - Riser Isolators/Dampeners... Should have kept the stock ones..

turtle
01-30-2010, 2:02 PM
cheap spring hose clamps

TheMongoose
01-30-2010, 5:33 PM
Mike's XS-Brass Carb Fuel Line T-Piece pressed it into one carb, then into the other. Tried to reinstall the carb link bar and discovered the fuel tee was too long, resulting in the carbs angling away from one another. Had to remove the tee with pliers, which scratched the finish to death. Filed the ends down and I finally got it to work. Also, the rubber gaskets that come with it are ill-fitting.

Mike's XS-Carb Link Bar Screws website shows nice set of panhead allen bolts, what I got was flathead bolts that would look like ass (they're made for countersunk holes). In fairness to Mike's XS, they did refund the money for them.

justinspace
01-30-2010, 7:15 PM
well mikes game is repops for low price, which means its outsourced to some third world section of china or tiawan or hell maybe even pakistan. but they are discontinued items in a lot of cases.... i use him him if i gotta, but only if i have too.

and my "barnet style" throttle was a emgo if your interested..ill fitting and made in tiawan

Punkskalar
01-30-2010, 8:45 PM
well mikes game is repops for low price, which means its outsourced to some third world section of china or tiawan or hell maybe even pakistan. but they are discontinued items in a lot of cases.... i use him him if i gotta, but only if i have too.

Agreed, but some of it isn't even worth messing with, while some is. Thats what this thread is all about....

philbey
02-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Shit, what about the following mikesXS parts:

- fork dust seals, fork seals, brake rebuild kits.

I already bought the riser dampeners, but I don't even need them as I found a good old pair.

Chrome tree top bolt was alright, and the fork tube end caps are no less likely to thrash out than the factory ones anyway.

Punkskalar
02-02-2010, 9:12 PM
Shit, what about the following mikesXS parts:

- fork dust seals, fork seals, brake rebuild kits.

I already bought the riser dampeners, but I don't even need them as I found a good old pair.

Chrome tree top bolt was alright, and the fork tube end caps are no less likely to thrash out than the factory ones anyway.

Fork Seals = Good stuff so far that I can tell... Plenty of miles and no leaks as of yet...

Dust Seals = Reused my old ones, can't advise you on that one...

Brake Rebuild Kits = I couldn't use them, since my bores were pitted to badly to use. I bought new parts instead...

trainwreck13
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Don't forget about the carb holders from mikesxs. All the gas around me has ethanol in it which breaks down the rubber in a couple of months.

Anyone know where to get quality carb holders from?

Punkskalar
02-04-2010, 1:14 PM
Don't forget about the carb holders from mikesxs. All the gas around me has ethanol in it which breaks down the rubber in a couple of months.

I made my own Aluminum intakes like the old shell stuff... Check XS650 Central, I think they have them as well....

Anyone else having this problem?

trainwreck13
02-05-2010, 1:13 PM
I made my own Aluminum intakes like the old shell stuff... Check XS650 Central, I think they have them as well....

Anyone else having this problem?

I remember seeing the ones that you made in your build was thinking of doin the same thing but haven't gotten around to it yet. Too many other things goin on I guess.

I put the mikesxs holders on back in the fall cuz I was having idleing issues that I thought were a vaccum leak. anyway I pulled them off last week to clean my carbs and the inside of the holders were breaking down and seperating from the metal frame tha the rubber is molded around. shittyness....

Punkskalar
09-21-2010, 3:30 PM
Updated after working on my bike some this week and working on others for the last few months...

JH282
09-21-2010, 5:07 PM
The rubber around my MikesXS pod filters has deformed. Looks like they've been in a fire.

xs650srule
09-22-2010, 7:37 AM
Mikes XS brake lines are junk as well

Trav101
09-22-2010, 9:53 AM
i used tc brothers aluminum intake. there solid and well made. I split the ones that came with my mikunis in no time flat. And for things that suck. that damn clutch rod seal!! that thing is a bitch and started leaking again.

Punkskalar
09-22-2010, 10:09 AM
i used tc brothers aluminum intake. there solid and well made. I split the ones that came with my mikunis in no time flat. And for things that suck. that damn clutch rod seal!! that thing is a bitch and started leaking again.

Thats more of a design flaw in the ability to replace the seal... use a 1 piece clutch rod and chamfer the hole before installing the seal in the cases.... No leaks, everytime

ludwig
09-22-2010, 6:05 PM
why did they go to a two piece when the one piece worked so well on the old two stokes?

turbonate
09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
my carb holders from mike's are fucked after one week

saltlakejeff
03-27-2011, 10:35 AM
man, this shouldn't be a thread, this should be a hole web page!

thanks for all the input with these things hugh:killerjob:

sweetpotato650
03-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Mikes XS brake lines are junk as well

Anyone know a good place to get a braided stainless front break hose? Was about to order one from mikes.

Sects
03-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Anyone know a good place to get a braided stainless front break hose? Was about to order one from mikes.

We have a place here called Evco "House of Hose." Not just local to Utah... I have all my lines made there. Cheap and easy. Usually takes two days after drop off...

SB666
03-31-2011, 7:59 AM
id avoid lowbrow rear brake switches as well. between myself, and 3 other buds who have run them, they suck. also, i know its an expensive mod but if you have the means...scrap the whole xs stock rear drum wheel set up and go with an HD disc set-up. the actual mod is pretty easy, and if your patient, you'll find deals on the parts. for example, my whole M/C set-up is off a buell (cheap)

cros36
04-05-2011, 11:55 AM

http://jbmindustries.com/HOLDERS.html
i havent heard a single bad thing about the holders. i got the holders and the diaphragms. havent ran them yet. dude was nice to talk to.

coachstorms
04-05-2011, 2:38 PM
great lines cheap...

http://www.speedlinez.com/UniversalBrakelines.html

a5tach
04-05-2011, 2:46 PM
I just got to my local hydraulics shop, they have coated stainless lines and made both my front and rear to order in about 15 minutes, all I had to do was bring in the end fittings I needed, they even silver soldered them on..cost about 40 bucks total.

pinstripechuck
04-05-2011, 7:05 PM
Heres some good carb holders
http://jbmindustries.com/

cros36
04-05-2011, 7:09 PM
is there an echo in here?:cheersmate: