PDA

View Full Version : DOWNSIDE to wrapping your pipes.

Jethro
01-28-2010, 9:47 AM
I loved wrapped pipes. Like the look, especially as the wrap ages, gets a little frayed and chalky looking, and I even like the change in sound with it on... BUT.

I am convinced it is bad for the pipes. I just pulled the wrap off a couple of drag pipes I have had on for less than two years, and they are rusted out... I can actually see through them in spots LOL. Cheap pipes though, as always anymore... probably made overseas out of PBR cans we send over there.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/jettoes1/Chopper%20Sep09/IMG_2998.jpg

KT
01-28-2010, 2:11 PM
I use this stuff called purple power it is a rust nullifying agent then I use a flat rustolem 2500 degree paint or some type high heat spray paint after that I wrap the pipes and apply DEI header wrap paint and bake that on ...Process but I think you will find the end result more to your liking ...

framus
01-28-2010, 2:53 PM
I've always used the DEI silicone spray on it and it seemed to make it last and helped out the rust issue. The last thing I wrapped was a stainless steel turbo manifold with it and it took glowing bright red heat with no issues to appearance with that spray on the wrap.

turtle
01-30-2010, 4:49 PM
I always wondered if they retained water and would cause rust but as hot as they get I am surprised