PDA

View Full Version : is there a better cb750?

REV
01-27-2010, 3:06 PM
ive found 2 cb's at a local shop, both not running but complete and titled for 800 each.

heres my stupid question of the day:

ones a '75 cb750F with kicker, sohc.

the others a 79 (i think) 750F dohc w/o kicker.

i know that some hard tail kits like tcbros are only for the pre 76, so that kinda has me thinking, but the older ones been sitting for 8 years (can you say carb cleaning time?)

anywho, i think thats the route im going to go, even if i dont drop 800 on one. ive pinned down a few separate frames and motors, so we shall see.

also, while i have someones attention, if you were 6ft, 270 would you go with either of the above motor or the xs650. ill create a poll for fun.

revmike
01-27-2010, 4:20 PM
SOHC but you should get them down to about 600. When you build it back up put a hotter cam on and bore it out a bit. You'll be fine. Make sure the cases are good, you can prob get anything else pretty easy and not too much dorayme.. You'll want the kick and the DOHC while a fine bike, doesn't have the following or the aftermarket the SOHC does. Maybe you could chop up a nice 1000 Goldwing....

~Rev Mike

DaveyRiot
01-27-2010, 4:41 PM
SOHC all the way! Plus if you find an old amen or jammer frame you're set.

REV
01-27-2010, 4:52 PM
i was thinking about the tcbros, so it looks like ill go for the older sohc!.

he has a ready to go cb and xs, both in amen frames. 3k each. he said hed do the whole build for me for 4k, with everything, but i dont have that scratch and id like to do as much as i can myself, since im a broke bastard.

HWC
01-27-2010, 5:01 PM
the SOHC will haul u around just fine,, when it becomes tired u can throw in a 850 kit an it will really live it up a bit...personally,,i dont like the TC hardtail,,look at the top mounts,,those plates just weld to thin ass pressed metal on the stock frame,, an im not just sayin,,cause i build hardtails myself,,just theres a better way,,also i cater to broke bastads all the time,,lol
gimme a yell on your frame ,,which ever you decide

wllgmr
01-27-2010, 7:10 PM
Sohc

CaveMann
01-27-2010, 7:24 PM
sohc They are fun bikes, and fairly cheap to build too. I could have built 3 of the damn things with what I have wrapped up in one harley.

cntrhub
01-27-2010, 8:14 PM
SOHC 750 Pro:
1. 1969 to 1978 are pretty much interchangeable parts.
2. Lots of chopper parts made for the CB750 SOHC
3. Less parts to assemble engine wise.
SOHC 750 Con:
1. Parts are available but to rebuild the top or bottom end, you will need a donor motor if hard parts have failed like a wiped cam that would clog the feed screen in the head on one side. You would lose the cam and cam tower. Thus, the donor engine for one cam, one cam tower, one clean oil screen from the donor top end.
2. You compete for single parts made for the CB750 if no spare bike(s) are accumulated in the backyard or saved in the garage for donor purposes.

DOHC 750 Pro:
1. Has more HP as years progressed.
2. Engine's bottom end had less problems with gears and forks going belly up on the more fragile SOHC bottom end.
3. Electronic ignition and smoother running carbs keeps the tune longer.
DOHC 750 Con:
1. Notorious for burning valves if shims are not measured and closely monitored as far as maintenance free running.
2. Every engine that has to be bought as far as spare parts to build the bike back up, will need a compression test for top end value as far as how healthy the engine is worth.
3. Both single and dual cam engines use the same bottom end bearing inserts and if a purchase for spare parts are a must have, then the bottom end moving freely without damage to rod or crank big end bearings for salvage purposes; is what you need to remember; as far as covering your rear end buying decision.
4. Parts are no longer available like cam chain/sprockets/slippers. Therefore, smart buying is needed for both engine families if the choice is for a dependable build.
5. Lower production run of bikes made from 1979 to 1982. This bike may be harder to find than the widely produced SOHC engine family.

The 650' are even more rare if parts are needed is my assumption. I would have to make sure I have spares handy just in case. Same applies to both 750's above. Bottom line, there are plenty of 750's around to narrow down a choice. Ideal conditions, you would need a running low mile 650 to justify jumping in that direction.

soca750
01-27-2010, 9:07 PM
cleanin' carbs is half the fun!

sohc tho definately....ive got a stock '83 cb1100f that i love, but it also is the hardest to work on.

my sohc 750 has been bulletproof so far.

Rich
01-28-2010, 8:11 AM
OLD HONDAS NEVER DIE.
I was a Honda dealer in the 70's and 80's and sold alot of both. I like the single overhead cam motors because there are more chopper parts out there for them and you can throw a 836 kit and a set of 33mm SB carbs on it and go like a bat out of HELL. I use to drag race those motors and had one run mid 10's in 1/4 mile. Your second question is no you can fit on a XS650 .I just built one for a guy who is 6'2 and he fits on it with no problem. Lets se if i can down load the picture
But i build both styles and they both workhttp://www.DADDYGCYCLES.com

HWC
01-28-2010, 1:48 PM
deadman13....call me befor u buy...

jpswino
01-28-2010, 8:39 PM
SOHC CB750 all the way. Easy to work on and lots of parts still available. Lots of tech support around as well. I got several.

But I voted for an obsecure "other" selection. If you can find a running one, the six cylinder CBX will haul your 270# around like you are a flyweight. 103hp stock in 1979!!!!
Yeah, I've got one. And its fricken fast even with my 280#

I returned your p.m. bro.

REV
01-28-2010, 8:53 PM
holy shit that fuckers a monster! pics of yours please!

jpswino
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
I sent you a link to my photobucket account for the Amen I am riding right now which is for sale. In the "Friends Bikes" folder is a black Amen Savior which is the frame I have for sale. In the "CBX" folder is the CBX build which is not done in this second version I am doing of it.

I am focused on the "Voodoo Chop" right now as I want to get that done for this season. Its a cb750 punched beyond 1000cc. So I could use to sell the one I'm riding to help fund the new build.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/jpswino2/cbx/

rustrocket84
01-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I have two DOHC's and there is no doubt that SOHC is the way to go. Aftermarket support for the SOHC is 100 times better. I spend as much time searching for parts and such as I do actually working on the bike.