PDA

View Full Version : Trading my 08 nightster for a 84 fxr, am I crazy?

StripperGold
10-19-2012, 10:52 PM
First off I am never on forums because I feel they yield little results. Most people just use these to troll less knowledgeable people and I understand that, its the internet. That being said, I am hoping to get some legit feed back on this. I am currently talking to a guy who wants to trade his 84 fxr for my nightster. I ride a lot and ride with guys that have pretty quick dynas most of the time. Its is pretty hard on my sporty and I am constantly breaking shit trying to ride as hard as I want to. ie rocker box gaskets, suspension, wheel bearings so far. Am I crazy to be considering trading for this guys bike? Here are pictures and descriptions of the bikes. I know this isn't most of your guys style so cut me some slack before you go off the handle and tell me how I should trade for a ridged shovel.

here is mine: picture is attached
I have an 08 nightster
new progressive front springs
09 dyna streetbob rear suspenstion
10" z bars
v&h exhaust
joker machine air cleaner
power commander tuned on dyno by sangers cycles in fort collins - 81hp
new rocker box gaskets
new tires

follow this link to see his: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3272671292.html

Lucky69
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Stripper id do it in a hot second mang!!!!!!

carl609
10-19-2012, 11:05 PM
I am a big Sporty fan, and I think HD did a really good job on the nightster. That being said, I would do the trade. If you dont like the fxr I doubt you would have a problem getting rid of it.

elmiguel13
10-19-2012, 11:39 PM
You better do it before HE posts something on an internet forum and people tell him he's an idiot for trading an FXR for a nightster.

StripperGold
10-19-2012, 11:58 PM
I appreciate the input guys but I want to know why I should trade. So far my thinking is that I would be trading a good strong 08 sporty for a 27 year old dirty old street whore with 40k miles and less power. I would also be able to say I have an fxr.

Deckard43
10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
If he's local to you, go ride it. You should know pretty quick if it's what you want. I dig the look btw.

swags63
10-20-2012, 12:11 AM
That FXR is nice looking, but 1984 is a bastard year for them. This is the cross over year from shovel to EVO, shopping for parts for them can some times be a bitch. These were put together with no rhyme or reason, what I mean by that is these bike were assembled with any combination of parts Shovelhead or EVO engine, 4spd or 5spd trans, belt or chain final drive, and several different primaries. A couple other things, look at the motor mounts make sure there good and realize stock it will make less HP then yours. I don't know if that helps you out but like I said that just my 2 cents.

Swags

heretic530
10-20-2012, 12:15 AM
OK, I put this out there in another thread a couple days ago...forget the horsepower number on paper. Your sporty only has peak horsepower at one very narrow RPM point. Eithger above or below that, it has less... So how often do you ride at just exactly that very specific RPM?
My guess is that you rarely ride constantly ant the very specific point where you have peak horsepower in the sporty... so instead of focusing on that number, consider what is really important. Look at the torque curve. The sporty might have better numbers on paper, but the FXR will have a more usable torque curve over a wider RPM range.

Plus the FXR is a bike that you can build onto. There is one for sale, near me, with edelbrock heads on an S&S 124 incher, with a baker 6 speed. I have a 129 inch stroker, with a 45 horsepower NOS wet kit, running through a 6 speed in my pseudo FXR. Sporties are not going to last when pushed that much.

OnryAndMean
10-20-2012, 11:13 AM
while I would take an fxr over the nightster, the value doesn't equate really

I've seen fxr's like that sell for $4500-5000, and I've seen nightsters sell for $6500-7500

I'd sell your nightster for $6500 or more and offer that dude $5k

highwayhooligan
10-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd do it in a heartbeat if he wanted my bike. Then, I'd immediately do something about the brake light and those grips.

labdude2
10-20-2012, 5:57 PM

I've seen fxr's like that sell for $4500-5000, and I've seen nightsters sell for $6500-7500

Wat he said

uniquentoned
10-20-2012, 6:05 PM
Without sounding like a douche, if u just swapped your current tank to a double wide,then you would pretty much have the same exact look.with 40k less miles dependability......
but you cant say "its a 80 blah blah blah" if you just want the recognition of a model....patooie

do you want to have a bike to work on all the time,or do you want to have a bike to ride?

I like both,one that is a constant all the time dependable cruise
and one that I can slap around and ride n break fix,ride n break n fix.''

not saying all older models are fixers and not dependable,but there is a reason he is
willing to make a trade.....

dont think im some A hole,im just kinda pointing out some things.there is nothing like trading a good built dependable newer ride for a POS someone is trying to dump,cause its about to kick the can,and would rather have someone else shell out thousands...

I would my 09 iron for a 60's or 50's custom, but not a 80's that was slapped together with misc leftover factory parts.

TINGLER
10-20-2012, 6:08 PM

That's the first thing I thought too.

The dude with the FXR knows a good deal when he sees it. He sees dollar signs.

heretic530
10-20-2012, 8:32 PM
That's the first thing I thought too.

The dude with the FXR knows a good deal when he sees it. He sees dollar signs.

Yeah...because sportsters gain so much in value while sought after, collectible model big twins lose it...that is what you were thinking, right?

TINGLER
10-20-2012, 9:09 PM
Yeah...because sportsters gain so much in value while sought after, collectible model big twins lose it...that is what you were thinking, right?

No.
I was thinking that the particular Sportster he is asking about trading is most likely worth more than that particular FXR that he was asking about.

Ryno
10-20-2012, 9:23 PM
Without sounding like a douche, if u just swapped your current tank to a double wide,then you would pretty much have the same exact look.with 40k less miles dependability......
but you cant say "its a 80 blah blah blah" if you just want the recognition of a model....patooie

Wrong.
Slapping a "double wide" (whatever that is) on a sportster is going to look like you slapped a double wide on a sportster.

FXR's are the hottest thing since fresh vagina right now. Having said that, I wouldn't do it. Two comPLETELY different machines. If you can't keep up with your buddies on the sporty, get a used dyna. I see fxd's around for 6-8k a lot.

Good luck.

uniquentoned
10-20-2012, 9:26 PM
Double wide tank. And it will look the same . I don't really care if madonnas hot shit is "hot" now or later. A fad is a fad is a gimmick. One is worth more than the other, one is older and less dependable.

Ryno
10-20-2012, 9:41 PM
You mean fat bobs? You can't just swap out a tank on a sporty and think it will magically look like an FXR. I
mean I suppose you can. And while you're at it you can put some knucklehead rocker box covers on it and it will look exactly like a knuck!

uniquentoned
10-20-2012, 9:44 PM
If u can take a Chrysler 300 and make it look like a Bentley.... There is no reason u can't switch a tank.....

heretic530
10-20-2012, 9:58 PM
No.
I was thinking that the particular Sportster he is asking about trading is most likely worth more than that particular FXR that he was asking about.

Sportsters depreciate faster then big twins. Nightsters are not showing a unique mass following, and so far as resale is concerned narrow Z bars are not going to be pushing the price up to match the big twins...
Going into winter is is always a buyers market, and used harleys are plentiful. Come spring the nightster in question is just another 5 year old sporty. The harsh reality is that sporties to not have the following of people who are willing to spend money.
As the bikes get older one of the two will maintain value... If you are going to use value as an argument, look at the broad scale .

TINGLER
10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Sportsters depreciate faster then big twins. Nightsters are not showing a unique mass following, and so far as resale is concerned narrow Z bars are not going to be pushing the price up to match the big twins...
Going into winter is is always a buyers market, and used harleys are plentiful. Come spring the nightster in question is just another 5 year old sporty. The harsh reality is that sporties to not have the following of people who are willing to spend money.
As the bikes get older one of the two will maintain value... If you are going to use value as an argument, look at the broad scale .

So then why don't you tell me why a guy with a valuable FXR wants to trade for a Sportster?

The only reason I can think of is that mr.FXR thinks he can flip it. Hence my comment that the dude sees dollar signs.

Nobody except you is talking about how much an 08 Nightster will be worth 10 years from now.

uniquentoned
10-20-2012, 10:34 PM
If u really want an older bike just sell yours , I looked on google you can get one for as low as 4k$ then take the extra leftover money to pay to make it reliable. What's better To ride a 18 year old or a 40 year old..... Wish I was 18 all over again.

24Cycles
10-20-2012, 10:39 PM
If its bone stock and nice its a fair trade. Used nightster is in the grey area of guys not having cash to buy same with the fxr. Biggest deal your facing is little maintnance on nightster more on fxr. If you dont know yor way around old Iron you probably wont be happy on your end if its your only scoot...

StripperGold
10-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys, good to hear some legitimate arguments. I want to clear up some confusion. I am not wanting to trade just because I want the Fxr look. I feel like i am destroying my sporty riding it the way I do with the people I ride with. I have heard all the amazing stuff about how the fxr is the best bike Harley made etc. I just want a bike that can handle the abuse. I am also pretty poor so I have to work with what I have, which is a nightster for sale or trade. From most of the feed back thus far I feel like this bike is not what I should go for. I am gonna meet up with the guy next monday and test ride it and if it doesn't absolutely blow my mind I will probably pass.

24Cycles
10-21-2012, 12:03 AM
If it was a 90s FXR I would tell you jump like a Harlum Globe Trotter for it. What your being offered is a 1st year EVO. The 90s version is night and day better. 92 is my all time favorite.
Bill @ Biltwell has a EVO FXR and rides the living piss out of his scoot. I was sold on the FXR after seeing how his holds up to his abuse. Hes a great rider and he rides his bikes like a crazed motocrosser!
That said if you havent had old Iron it is a totally different game. If you dont spin wrenches and you dont have spare funds. A Early Evo if it hasnt been done will need a full redo of motor mounts and bearings on the chassi. Your better off with your nightster, Frankly your bike can take a shit load more abuse then a big twin.

uniquentoned
10-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Sounds like u just need a little more get up n go . Drop a toothy in the sprocket . Exhaust air cleaner it'll go more like u want it too. Just less top speed

threat357
10-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Get a little headwork done on your sporty, swap out your cams, remap the ecm, and your nightster will haul ass. Sportster motors are pretty damn bulletproof, and with a little bit of upgrading can have you keeping up with your wild riding friends.

*headwork optional. Bike will haul ass anyway

Sent from hell

uniquentoned
10-21-2012, 3:09 AM
Agree

Fgsacts
10-21-2012, 3:24 AM
I had a '84.5 FXR back in the early 90's. As someone else had stated, it was a bastard year for HD. First year EVO. I had nothing but problems with the engine and finally got rid of it. Funny thing is I bought a Sporty after that because I wanted a bike that would take the abuse of the way I rode, lol. I think you would be making a mistake trading in my opinion. 1984 was not a good year. In all fairness, maybe I had a lemon but my experience with a 1984.5 EVO was not a good one.

GO4TH
10-21-2012, 12:26 PM
The Sportster should sell faster and bring more.....Most banks hate to loan on older bikes...Sell yours and pick up a good used Dyna....YOUR MONEY>>>YOUR CHOICE

aaronc
10-21-2012, 1:10 PM
I really like your 08.I would have some head work done and look at some different cams.I bet that thing would a fuckin animal with a lil work.

SquashThatFly
10-21-2012, 4:28 PM
As an FXR owner and former owner of 3 sportsters, I'll give you my two cents.

That year FXR, like already mentioned, is bitch to find parts for. Want an FXR? stick to the later models.

That being said, the FXR is more stable at higher speed, doesnt beat me up as much, and the definitely has feels like a better range of power across the band. The sportster is lighter and has a tighter range of power.

Take into account your size and weight. You'll be more comfortable on the FXR if youre bigger or taller. You really just need ride the bike to make your own decision. In the end, its what youre most comfortable riding on anyway.

Sportsters will handle a ton of abuse. As far as maintanence issues that youre having, the FXRs and Dynas share a lot of the same parts as the sportster. Suspension is the same between FXR and Sportsters. Rear shocks use the same spring rate. Dynas use a stiffer spring due to shock angle. Forks are the same narrow glides, although that 84 has the earlier 35mm on it, not the 39mm. Bearings are the same up until 02 when the sportsters went to sealed bearings. Gaskets are similar. You can put evo sporty rocker boxes on a big twin evo.

BurkDurk
10-22-2012, 10:33 PM

Bingo.

coldfeet
10-22-2012, 11:51 PM
I traded my 98 softail for a 76 ironhead and some cash. If you're crazy then I too far gone.

ThePete
10-23-2012, 12:01 AM
In all honesty if the FXR is as good as it looks (on my little iphone screen) I'd probably consider trading my FXDX for it. Its got the dual disk front and a caliper upgrade is pretty easy to up the stoping power, and depending on how much massaging he's done to the motor or you're willing to do that FXR would be a pretty killer ride. My opinion is there are tons of Nightsters running around and they're not going to be making anymore FXRs, but I'd do my homework before making the swap to make sure everything is all good since I'm a little ignorant when it comes to FXR models by type and year.

LDNCLR
10-23-2012, 7:06 AM
That FXR is nice looking, but 1984 is a bastard year for them. This is the cross over year from shovel to EVO, shopping for parts for them can some times be a bitch. These were put together with no rhyme or reason, what I mean by that is these bike were assembled with any combination of parts Shovelhead or EVO engine, 4spd or 5spd trans, belt or chain final drive, and several different primaries. A couple other things, look at the motor mounts make sure there good and realize stock it will make less HP then yours. I don't know if that helps you out but like I said that just my 2 cents.

Swags

While 84 may have been a crossover year from shovel to evo, there was never a 4 speed FXR.
And to stay on track, Id make the trade.The nightster may have a higher "blue book" but the used bike market is trash right now. Even if the nightster is worth more on paper, there are thousands of people trying to sell theirs for full blue book also. You would probably have to water down the price on the nightster to the point of it being an even trade anyway.
and, dont forget, there are 2 types of FXR owners.....those who say they will NEVER sell theirs, and those who say "I NEVER should have sold mine."

STANDARD
10-23-2012, 2:04 PM

Swags

i second this!

plus its a shovel motor....and a wack 5 speed trans!....

Randeezy868
10-23-2012, 5:58 PM
Keep the sporty. You cant hurt it. They have more power and are WAY more reliable than the big twins. You should be able to smoke them with no problem. I run my bike at 85-90mph for hours at at time. and run it hard light to light and the guys i ride with ride evos and a lot of shovelheads and yeah they run good, but they come apart way more often than the sporty. If you think your abusing your sporty, than your going to need to pony up some coin to make that fxr reliable enough to rape on it. jus saying. your going to have to get into the motor.

LDNCLR
10-23-2012, 6:28 PM
i second this!

plus its a shovel motor....and a wack 5 speed trans!....

its an EVO. Look at the pic.

trifive
10-23-2012, 6:32 PM
Don't do it. It's still a nearly 30 yr old ride,with who knows what's been done to it.

bigdaddy
10-23-2012, 6:53 PM
this guy says that the fxr is his baby. well, then why would he want to trade if for a sportster? don't get me wrong, i love my sporty, but i can't see why someone would want to trade their baby for a bike that is a dime a dozen, unless there is something wrong with it. most people don't put their baby up for sale OR TRADE. when you part with your baby, it's because you're strapped for cash, and you've got no other outs. i am always leery of trades. rarely are they equal. someone always seems to get the short end of the stick.

capnfred
02-25-2013, 5:22 PM
I know this is a bit long in the tooth threadwise...but the FXR and the Sporty are two completely different animals...I have an 84, love will ride it til I die...handles like its on RR tracks...runs like a scared rabbit, and when I get to a ralley here in Fl. I rarely see another FXR....and nothing like mine...the sporty's are a dime a dozen, the FXR is a piece of history, whose value will never really go down....jst get better....as for parts, its a Harely....they are everywhere, not rare... if yo don't like the engine you can replace it, build it, or what ever.... the frame is piece of engineering art...I have been riding big Touring bikes..Goldwings...tried riding a 1200 sporty, felt like it was a toy... rode the FXR around the block and boght it on the spot... it was a piece of shit when I bought it, but only paid 2900.00 for it....leaked oil everywhere, ran like shit, sucked gas, would shake your feet off the pegs.....found all the problems put in by the idiot PO's wrench (he was a butcher and a nigger rigger)...now she is a sweet ride, fast, don't know how fast but 3k at 80mph still has a long way to go....90 is nothing...95 is still nothing... thats about as fast as I was willing to push it on a street, the cops down here will take your scoot away if your hauling ass...just my .02

Capn

you will never be sorry buying an FXR, mine will be an antique next year... yea baby,,, just like me.!