PDA

View Full Version : Another pre unit find!!!!!!!!!BSA

charlie500
01-26-2010, 10:37 PM
i found another one in a dudes shed its a BSA the frame hasnt ben cut yet it has longer tubes on the front of it and a after market tank and i think it runs to i havent got it to the shop yet if anyone knows BSA pre units please get in tuch with me i may have alot of questions for ya and ill post some better pics

KT
01-26-2010, 11:09 PM
a ol beezer pre unit those are cool nice find man ... looks like alot of it is there ... I watched a pre unit sell up north from me couple months ago.... nice BSA congrats! ..

gravelveins
01-27-2010, 1:34 PM
charlie...you're ridiculous.
you must be an amazingly fast talker...
hypnotize people into giving you their amazing classic kick ass motorcycles.
ridiculous!

charlie500
01-27-2010, 1:41 PM
Man i just listen to the old guys and talk to them alot of these old Cats dont have alot of freinds or there kids dont come see them and they just want some company and they tell me about other stuff after i buy there stuff its all in your attitude man you cant just walk up to these and say i just want your stuff and thats it you these guys have had some of this stuff for 20 to 30 yrs man thats the best advice i can give is to treat them with respect and you will learn alot to if you listen to them

gravelveins
01-27-2010, 2:18 PM
oh yah, totally man.
you can't just drop the cash and run.
it's good to just sit and listen.
i've learned so much from just keeping my mouth shut and listening to what people have to say.
you'll pick up some rad stories that way too.

anywho, nice find.
glad it's getting resurrected
whats your plans for the tank on the bike? :)

charlie500
01-27-2010, 4:33 PM
the one thats on it?

gravelveins
01-27-2010, 4:41 PM
yah, the one that is on it....

guschambers
01-27-2010, 5:02 PM
that looks like it'll be some fun. congrats
]. I've had my eye on a 1951 a10 w/ plunger frame for a while. It's just that "the old lady" ( i never say that) is giving me shit about having too much stuff already. I'll probably get it anyway.
I love sitting and listening to the old guys too. there's no substitute for experience.

KT
01-27-2010, 5:07 PM
Man i just listen to the old guys and talk to them alot of these old Cats dont have alot of freinds or there kids dont come see them and they just want some company and they tell me about other stuff after i buy there stuff its all in your attitude man you cant just walk up to these and say i just want your stuff and thats it you these guys have had some of this stuff for 20 to 30 yrs man thats the best advice i can give is to treat them with respect and you will learn alot to if you listen to them

The 70 TR6R I have I got this way ..guy has been around Triumphs since he was 14 guess he rode one all the way from Ohio out to haight and ashbury in 69 and lived out there for while ...I am still Friends with the guy I got it from actually that is his Triumph frame I am working on in the other post... He will still tell you to this day no one else could have bought that 650 of him ...He had owned it for almost 20 years and never got it finished ....

After he seen it done it took about a year and we went out and found him another 1970 TR6R and I am helping him finish it ...He knows these motors pretty damn well and I have learned more from him than anyone I have known in bikes... And it all came from doing a Satellite job at his house seeing the bike and saying holy shit how long you had that .......being polite plus showing some respect always pays in the end....

charlie500
01-27-2010, 8:18 PM
Most of these guys i deal with are freinds and used to ride together back in the day or were in the war together it goes to show you that if you dont act like a stuck up dick like alot of guys things will go alot easyer for you because anymore its not what you know its who you know !!!!!!!

TRUMPNUT
01-27-2010, 10:52 PM
So is it a A7 or A10 ? The tank is for a A7 rocket . or a a50 road star those were both blue with the clear badge .

I had a A10 I took on maky runs . Don't just try to get it running with out removing the timing cove tand priming the crank . Lube upthe ring and so on . Parts are not easy to get and differ alot from the later units . If you remove the rocker box then you will need a special tool to align the push rode before it goes back together
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w321/Trumpnutcycleparts/100_2049.jpg
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w321/Trumpnutcycleparts/100_2050.jpg

charlie500
01-28-2010, 8:36 AM
Im not sure of there model yet i havent got back to the shop but as soon as i do ill let you know !And thanks for the head up on the covers i havent done a pre unit BSA before do oil pumps work the same as a triumph? Also where do you find parts for these pre units? And do the the charging systems use the same parts as a triumph and what other parts inner change thanks

TRUMPNUT
01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
The oil pumps on the later ones are the same as the Unit twins . Pistons are hard to find and on the A10 the biggest you can go is 40 over so you can find them bigger but the cylinders start running a chnce of breaking . SRM engineering in england remakes parts but they cost ass loads !
Mine was at 40 over and the rings for a stock triumph 650 are the same so that is what I used . The generators are the same as a generator pre unit triumph and work like shit . And you have to know your model well since there are different model engines in the pre units .Like a semi unit were the trany bolted to the back of the motor and was used in the touring models and ridgids . then there was the late super road rocket ( thats what I had ) And the have shit hot cams but very special pistons that are hard to get . and bigger valves . Much smoother ride compaired to a triumph but all BSA twins are . Long stroke engine and the frame and engine numbers do not match !