PDA

View Full Version : I want to build my own Struts / Advice?

hdchopfather
10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
ok i tried searching didnt find anything,

ive got to build a set of struts,what do you guys typically use to build them out of i made a temporary one outta some 1 inch dom .120 wall, fairly basic,but i dont feel that is beffy enough, was gonna order a set of the biltwell ones but they are the wrong length. im gonna put these on my road king ive got a adjustable lowering kit on it with the "air ride" shocks they are starting to leak and i cant ride the ol lady with it down three inches,so im thinking struts even if just temp,ive got to get this thing a bit lower than it is now!!

any ideas are apprecited..thankxx in advance

Demin
10-11-2012, 10:16 PM
I use 1" round solid round bar.Drill holes in it where I need them for ride heighth.Probably overkill but it works.Pain to drill out and keep them straight.I've also cut them and welded tubing on the ends for the shock mounts.

hdchopfather
10-12-2012, 6:32 PM
well i just built them using 1 1/4 tube with 1/4 walls pretty heavy stuff,drilled thru holes and welded in a small tube thru the hole, lowered it a cfull 3 1/2 inches now shes sitting pretty, test ride in morning but i dont see any forseeable problems, my son says isnt that gonna be uncomfortable on him,i said no more than the chopper(that he loves to ride on) so hes good with it! that kid loves to ride more than i do

fucknut0
10-18-2012, 3:29 AM
they have flat bar that's pretty thick just measure it out think from eye to eye drill your holes and wallah got some struts and they're cheap as shit

Jrluz14
10-18-2012, 4:31 AM
I made mine from 1" solid round bar stainless since that's what we had laying around the machine shop I work at. I drilled them in a Bridgeport but drilling these in a vice would suck trying to keep the holes straight. If you have a drill press you could easily do it though.

Gnarly
10-18-2012, 5:25 AM
1" round bar.

TINGLER
10-18-2012, 7:12 AM
I saw a pic of a bike that was using C-channel once. I thought that looked pretty good in a do it yourself way.

TINGLER
10-18-2012, 7:42 AM
I just saw this vid on YouTube that has some different looking struts. Kind of interesting. I don't know what thickness these would be though. Looks like a shade thicker than 1/4" maybe?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByVf7b8Fhuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bdehlin
10-18-2012, 8:48 AM
Really like the struts in that video! Looks like they're either 1/4" or 3/16"...gonna have to remember that one.

hdchopfather
10-18-2012, 8:49 AM
I like the c-channel idea
Also think the ones on that sporty video look pretty good too, they are different

TINGLER
10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Here's that c channel pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/hotrodtingler/2d9sdvq.jpg

hdchopfather
10-18-2012, 2:33 PM
im not crazy bout those tractor looking tires,but i like that bike that shifter handle looks pretty bad azz(to me anyways)

heretic530
10-18-2012, 2:48 PM
tried to make a pair out of titanium square stock once. Heated it in a forge, and tried to twist by hand... not one of my best ideas.
later a friend who owned a metal fab shop made me a set, that were twisted by machine...cool as hell

hdchopfather
10-18-2012, 5:33 PM
damn, where does one find solid titanium stock,and when u found it had to be pricey as hell,bet it looked killer though