PDA

View Full Version : Springer Front end questions

Wonka
01-25-2010, 8:28 PM
I Got the front end on and put the nut on and there was this gap. so i made a spacer to fit that gap but the front end wont turn. i was wondering if the spacer was to thick. any ideas

nglshbiker
01-26-2010, 2:09 AM
Tightened it too much maybe?

Jethro
01-26-2010, 8:18 AM
For some reason, I can't open the photos. Pretty small on the forum... It looks like you are trying to tighten the springer down at the stem, right? The springer itself turns around the stem on bearings, upper and lower. There should be a dustcap upper and lower over the bearing. The bearings set in the neck of the frame. I know this sounds basic, but what I'm getting at is that you have to have a way to preload or set the load/friction on those bearings. See photo...
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/jettoes1/IMG_3204.jpg

You can see the nut at the top of the stem is to tighten in order to apply this load. There is an art to setting the amount of load you want on the springer. For me--and this is ONLY how I do it--I sit on the bike, and use one hand to nudge the handlebar over until the front wheel "flops" over. I set the load on the springer so that the wheel doesn't "flop" over until it gets to about half way in travel from straight to fully turned, or over.

The nut at the VERY top--along with the brace there--makes sure that amount of friction or load I've set doesn't change. So YES, you have probably tightened that top nut too much, but I don't think THAT nut should be setting the load on your bearings. I can't see your photo, but if it IS, then you may have something rigged wrong.

And YES, I'm missing the upper dust cover... :)

Wonka
01-26-2010, 2:31 PM
sorry i am havin trouple putting pics up i will try to get bigger pics my front ends different from the one u show i will try again