PDA

View Full Version : "Ride-in movies" in San Diego, Ca.

BobberFOD
10-07-2012, 9:18 PM
Thinking about getting some info on a "temporary" drive in movie theater near san diego. that showcases 50's/60's hot rod flicks. gunna talk to the owner about setting up a "B-Biker" movie ride-in night. Wanted to see if anyone else thinks this is as bad ass an idea as i do. After all who wouldn't want to watch The Wild Angels on a 52 foot screen while layin back on your scoot? Wanted to see if there's some interest in this. Could start out with a ride if there's some interest going on. still in the planning stages right now. could be a regular thing if it gets a spark.

NakedRob
10-07-2012, 9:24 PM
I'm totally in. Cue CRFyou and some hilariously wrong, yet awesome, suggestions:

fish433
10-09-2012, 8:12 PM
Im down that sound like a good night

HDG
10-09-2012, 9:23 PM
sounds sweet set it up

heretic530
10-09-2012, 9:32 PM
No..idea sucks...too far away...San Jose would be better, Sacramento even better still...LOL

BobberFOD
10-10-2012, 7:23 PM
talked to the owner of the drive in's. he's good to go on the idea. only problem is that in order for him to go through with getting the rights to play the movie i want i've got to promise 60 tickets sold or choose from his list which from what i can tell doesn't even include Easy Rider. So throw the idea around with all your riding buddies and lets see how many people we can drum up for this. I'll take care of the rest.

rustrocket84
10-10-2012, 7:33 PM
Depending on when I'd be in. When you thinking of doing this. And anything buy Easy Rider.

hugodv01
10-10-2012, 7:34 PM
set it up, I'm in.

maybe do a pre-ordre from some folks?? to get those 60 tickets sold.

then dig up the movie.

Maybe also double feature it?

and maybe a showing of El Diablo run?

Triple threat.

BobberFOD
10-10-2012, 9:13 PM
if it was as easy as bringing a movie it'd be done. but the guy's gotta buy the rights to a public showing or it could come back on his business. they do presale tickets on their website. probably early next month for the showing. gotta work around underway schedules and duty days since i'm in the navy. keep spreading the word. let me know how many people we can bring in. if it turns out to be a good deal this can be a regular thing.

interstatejoe
10-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a good time, count me in!!!

pirate2876
10-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Im in for sure. Put the word Bacon in your title and people will come from miles around...

VPNick
10-12-2012, 1:21 PM
BACO BACON BACO CABON NOBAC CABON...i am in...wait what?

Sounds like a great idea, count me in...i will spread the word to any of my buddies that ride

fish433
10-12-2012, 5:14 PM
I know atleast half of the bacon crew will show if not more

Motorradfahrer
10-12-2012, 8:51 PM
Jennifer and I are in. Set it up!

blackesthart
10-16-2012, 9:43 AM
what drive-in is it going to be at

BobberFOD
10-16-2012, 4:26 PM
Full moon drive in. fits about 200 cars. Set up for 50 walk ins with chairs and speakers. Said we can set up more sound for bikes. Look em up on google for location. Still working out the movie but might happen the 17th of next month. Keep spreading the word and i'll keep on him about getting a good movie played.

VPNick
10-19-2012, 5:58 PM
Full moon drive in. fits about 200 cars. Set up for 50 walk ins with chairs and speakers. Said we can set up more sound for bikes. Look em up on google for location. Still working out the movie but might happen the 17th of next month. Keep spreading the word and i'll keep on him about getting a good movie played.

fuck yeah

Sharky
10-19-2012, 11:56 PM
If I don't make the Baja 1000, I'm in. Sounds like an epic idea.

DWLifer
10-20-2012, 1:12 AM
This is a fucking killer idea.
I've been running ride/film night up here on the east coast of Canada all summer. It's at a local Indy shop, that's luckily painted white. Just set up the projector and the PA outside and press play.
Wish we still had a venue like yours in my neck of the woods though.

calicruiser
10-21-2012, 9:30 AM
very cool idea! id be down for it.

woz
10-21-2012, 11:21 PM
i get back from Thailand that night! (super late into LAX) otherwise id be in, love the idea though

BobberFOD
10-22-2012, 11:39 PM
The shows a go. Nov 17th showing the wild angels starring peter fonda and nancy sinatra. 20 per car unlimited people. 12 for bikes. 10 for walk ins. Doors open at 630 show starts at 730. hot rods and bikes get preferred parking. Or load up the station wagon I dont give a shit. Gunna be a good show either way. I'll post a flyer as soon as I get one made up so you all can pass the word. Lets get a good crowd rolling out for this one.

ThePete
10-23-2012, 12:09 AM
17th might not be the ideal night its TOL's birthday and I doubt I can drag her down on the back of the bike but she might be down for popping the top off the old 4Runner and tossing a couple chairs in the back.

BobberFOD
10-23-2012, 7:58 AM
drive whatever man. Not a bike only showing. Still a killer movie either way.

Warejn
10-23-2012, 8:15 AM
Awesome idea, we don't have to many drive in's here. The last one became apartments a few years ago.

I wish I was closer.

BobberFOD
10-23-2012, 5:48 PM
unfortunately the drive in owner just dropped a bomb on me. he wasn't able to get the rights to a public showing of The Wild Angels. He was however able to get the rights to play Easy Rider. so same time same place. bring your bike and check out Easy Rider on a 52 foot screen. Nov. 17th doors at 6:30 show at 7:30. 20 for cars (unlimited persons) 12 for bikes (unlimited persons) 10 for walk ins. buy tickets online at www.fullmoondrivein.com when purchasing online purchase the automobile (20.00) tickets and before check out use the discount code "motorcycle" when ordering tickets to ride in.

hugodv01
10-23-2012, 6:49 PM
In

did you make an events page?

BobberFOD
10-23-2012, 8:01 PM
Will after I get a flyer made up.

Motorradfahrer
10-24-2012, 4:09 PM
Can we pay at the gate or do we have to pre-order tickets?

BobberFOD
10-24-2012, 6:05 PM
Same price buy at the door or on the web site.

BobberFOD
10-26-2012, 9:16 PM
Events page is up with a flyer attached. Bring your ridin buddies out and check out the show.

BobberFOD
10-31-2012, 5:56 AM
Where'd everyone go? We still got people interested in this?

Motorradfahrer
10-31-2012, 11:37 AM
I plan on being there.

BobberFOD
10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
cool. trying to get as many people out as possible for this first show. open the door to bigger bike and hot rod shows i have planned early next year with more shit goin on than just a movie. gotta get the owner on my side for turn out first though.

VPNick
11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
def interested...is it up on the event page or facebook

ThePete
11-09-2012, 3:51 PM
I'd love to go but its TOL birthday, tried to talk her into pulling off the shell on the old 4Runner and going but it didn't go over too well, and doing 2 up on the bike is out. Some seal on my primary let go and I don't trust it enough to keep enough fluid in to keep from fucking shit up.

If this turns out to be good enough for another go later in the spring we'll make it.

interstatejoe
11-09-2012, 3:56 PM
I plan on being there as well.

BobberFOD
11-10-2012, 9:18 PM
the show is posted on the events page here. also posted on xlforum. this show is just an intro show to try to see what kind of turn out i can get for the venue. if i deliver enough people to keep the owner happy i plan on trying to set up a hot rod/bike show with bands and possibly a night time double feature with a couple better flicks. won't be for a few months though since i've got some obligations taking me out of state for the navy. come on out if you can or spread the word. it's something different than i normally see for shows. seemed like a cool idea so i'm going out on a limb and setting this up to see if i can't get some cooler shit in the future. hope to see you all next weekend. i'll be the guy on the back of the plaid sporty swing arm chop.

chopperzac
11-17-2012, 3:02 AM
This is a great idea. Of course I can't make it this time, but will definitely be at the next one. Keep it going.

Moffit
11-17-2012, 8:16 PM
Sounds like a blast, wish I could have made it. Maybe ill try to get somethong like this going in my area

blackesthart
11-18-2012, 5:53 PM
So how did this work out? Is there going to be another Drive-in night ?

DocZ8404
11-18-2012, 7:31 PM
I know this post is kinda old, but if this is going on.. let me know. Im in the 29 Palms area and most def would spread the word on the base out here, more than posative there would be a handfull of us who are down.

Z

24Cycles
11-18-2012, 8:27 PM
I live 2 miles from the gig and its put on in a middle school parking lot. They set up a inflatable movie screen and set up a bunch of portable chairs for front row seating. Cars park behind that. Drinking and smoking are not allowed on school grounds and it is a felony or misdemeanor if you get caught.
I avoid that area on weekends on my bike and I avoid that area if Im drinking unless in a cab.
Why the mention of drinking or smoking? Because most of us do one or the other when in a group. Not all of us but most... Cool idea if it wasnt in the middle of cop central and in a school parking lot.

woz
11-18-2012, 9:14 PM
what about the drive-in in santee?

24Cycles
11-18-2012, 9:25 PM
Still there but tbey play current movies. It would take a huge crowd to fill that joint. Nothing wrong with this event at the middle school. The lack of letting everyone know what to expect should be put out there. Getting kicked out or freaking out the school kids and parents would suck for both.

BobberFOD
11-30-2012, 5:48 PM
movie night went good. turn out kept the owner happy. didn't get any complaints from anyone sitting in my lawn chair smoking during the movie so i dunno about that. didn't bother to look for any cops. then again i didn't ask permission when i lit up in the bathroom in junior high either but i get what you're saying. the navy's keeping me busy out of state over the next few months but i'm gunna try to set something else up probably around march or so. try to do an actual car/bike show earlier in the afternoon till it's dark enough for a movie. maybe a band or two. i dunno yet. then a double header or it was brought up maybe having a viewing of 6 over. not sure what's in the works yet but i'll keep everyone posted when i work out the details.

hugodv01
12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Doh!

wrong section....

for details, see Brolodex thread: LA/North OC/South Bay