PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding

Deaver
10-06-2012, 9:27 PM
I started a poll on which project to start with. If y'all could let me know what ya think it be appreciated. I'm new to the Cult and new to bikes. Grew up in a house where they were death traps, being older and wiser they are art on the open road. Trying to make up for lost time so help is appreciated.

hdchopfather
10-06-2012, 10:13 PM
i think any of them done right, would be a scoot worthy of the road! i dont know much about the vtx, but i have built a couple and seen countless kick ass cbs, and xs chops

Deaver
10-06-2012, 11:03 PM
That's where I'm leaning. I'm trying to find a cb or xs that is just factory right now. thanks man

heretic530
10-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Both the CB hondas and the XS yamas have been done to death. The problem with both is that most have not had easy lives. They were the quintessential "budget" bikes 20 years ago, so most have been beat on. Very few have really been taken care of. Take into consideration that metal quality was not the best on any of the metric bikes of that era, and you realize that an XS or a CB rebuild may not be the cheapest bike to own, in the long run. There are still some decent ones out there, but Unless you know what to look for, it is pretty easy to be taken advantage of

based on this, I would take another look at the VTX. , or anything in the yamaha star line. The VTX is large enough to haul a larger man around, and even a lady or enough gear for a weekend at a rally. The star I through in, because they are my favorite of the metric cruisers

Irishprick
10-07-2012, 12:17 AM
XS would be my pick and i've had both cb and xs customs and like the xs alittle better.i'd just find a good one thow. VTX are shaft drive if im think'n rite makes it a bit tricky to chop

Deaver
10-07-2012, 12:37 AM
They are shaft drive. Like I said, I'm new to all of this. Why does that make it harder to chop?

spookperdue
10-07-2012, 12:40 AM
I was thinking if you dont want to be the fat guy on a sportster it would be even worse on a kz or xs. Just my 2 cents. 950 Vstars are air cooled and belt driven. Vulcan would work but has an ugly fuckin radiator. If someone would come up with a way to convert the shaft to chain drive 650 vstars would make a cool looking chop.

heretic530
10-07-2012, 12:57 AM
because conversion to a standard rigid frame kit is difficult with a shaft.. But I do appreciate things that are different, so that might be a positive, depending on how you look at it.
I lowered a shaft driven virago for a woman a couple years ago, and it came out pretty cool. I cut the upper shock mounts off, and welded new ones higher on the frame. It was a cool little bobber when done

Oh and an XS is physically smaller then a sportster, so if you do not want the giant on a mini bike look, you have inadvertently ruled out the XS... I put an XS into a jammer frame with a santee springer in the early 90s. I found it seriously underpowered, for a larger guy

poonslammer
10-07-2012, 1:06 AM
kzs have a reputation for being powerful little bikes once you get into the 750/1000 range.
same goes for the cbs if you get a sohc not saying dohcs don't make power but from what I've seen sohc makes more and has a cooler looking cam cover.
but if you don't wanna look like a big guy on a little bike id kinda shy away from most japs, at least the 2cyl and anything under 750.
just my .02

Deaver
10-07-2012, 1:10 AM
I been looking for a while and I'm think for my personal everyday going with a VTX or V Star and if I can get a deal on a CB/KZ/XS, turning it into a project for fun and to learn how to work on it. I'm really enjoying the learning process with all this.

heretic530
10-07-2012, 1:15 AM
I do not know if it is still available, but Mikuni used to sell a 1300 big bore kit for the 1,000 KZ.
The early KZ 1,000s were built using the 750 frame, so it was a lot of engine, in a light bike.
I do not even remember the owner's name, but I built a 1300 KZ drag bike engine many years ago. Then the guy ran the bike into the side of my car, at the drag strip. I was pissed

Deaver
10-07-2012, 1:17 AM
I do not know if it is still available, but Mikuni used to sell a 1300 big bore kit for the 1,000 KZ.
The early KZ 1,000s were built using the 750 frame, so it was a lot of engine, in a light bike.
I do not even remember the owner's name, but I built a 1300 KZ drag bike engine many years ago. Then the guy ran the bike into the side of my car, at the drag strip. I was pissed

That shit sounds painful.

heretic530
10-07-2012, 1:24 AM
he didn't hit me during a race. He got me on the return lane. ... I had a blown V8 vega race car, and he hit me hard enough to dent my car, so I really wanted to hit him a few times

24Cycles
10-07-2012, 2:32 AM
For a 1st time builder do a CB750. Reson being is parts are cheap plentiful and plenty of people can give you advice.
SX not worth its weight for anything other then bar hopping KZ are cool but less stuff out there for them chassis wise The rest your going to be fabricating most of it. If your a fab guy then might be a good route.
Shaft drive bikes are not a favorite of mine for chopper or bobber builds. I have seen neat ones but still not my cup of tea.

purerockfury
10-07-2012, 7:25 AM
6'2" 220 ish and i felt "big" on my xs...i'd say cb, v star or an evo sporty...cb frames look a little funky hardtailed unless you do a complete one off frame

turtlem1969
10-07-2012, 8:33 AM
I would definitely rule out the xs if you dont want to look like a gorilla riding a mini bike. Any of the larger cb's 750 and up will have the hp and torque you need plenty of parts for them and they are not that hard to work on. The kz's again any of the larger ones 750 and up will also have the power and torque you will need and cycle one has 4 or 5 complete frames for the 1000cc. Just remember your a big boy you need a bigger engine, I'm only 5'10" and a buck eighty and to me anything smaller then a 650 just doesn't seem to get it for me. As far as hardtailing a shaft it really isn't that much harder to do then a chain, just takes a little more planning ahead.

NHMike
10-07-2012, 8:38 AM
Sohc cb750

Gnarly
10-07-2012, 8:45 AM
I chose a CB because they are rock solid bikes. You have seen mine on IG. I do not like to follow the grain so I'm not a fan of XSs for my self. They are super cool bikes but just not my thing. If you can find a kz750 twin I would be all over it. Other than that I would stick to inline fours or a Harley vtwin.
The way I see it is if I am going to sacrifice speed and power for a twin engine I'm going for the real deal old iron. Iron head or older. I have a cb700 which isn't close to a traditional cab but I like it because it is crazy narrow for inline 4 has a 6 speed trans and has balls. 80hp redline is 11k and top speed is 147. I like to haul ass.

dazegoneby
10-07-2012, 9:20 AM
if you are a big guy (over 180lbs)any bike under 750 will feel like a mini too you ,even the 750 triumphs feel small to me 5,10 160,,like was saying get something big enough to go on the big roads ,unless you want a round town bike,think of all you will load it down with when on rides (2 up++ gear)think of what you are able to do to it on your own ,, ,,go big enough to get the job done ,,any old 750 honda would do or the suzukis,kawis,,,shaft drives ok but with any plan of modifiying is that decide, what the end product is you want, then go from there, you can mod any bike,but the best one will be,, what you build, to suit your needs on the long run.(basically get something that will do the job, with power to spare(,sucks trying to pass some cage and the bike has run out of steam )no on anything smaller than 750, the older bikes are easy to work on once you do homework on them,also think of a popular model bike, so when you go to get spare parts you dont end up with (they are out of stock because of the small number of parts made for that model)

SyndicateChoppers
10-07-2012, 10:06 AM
an xs is just as "small" size wise as a sportster is

I would say KZ1000

Deaver
10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
This place is great. Thanks for all the help. After looking around last night, I'm looking into the CBs really hard.

purerockfury
10-07-2012, 10:52 AM
an xs is just as "small" size wise as a sportster is

I would say KZ1000

yup, but sporty's have the power and you can mod the frame to make it "bigger" if your going to hardtail it anyways

my IH i stretched and went up so i actually fit on it

bwagner
10-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I think it's funny that someone would say they're too Big for a Sportster, but they'll consider an XS. I've seen many "Full Grown" men on Sportsters, and they fit well when set up properly...if you're going to chop it up, or even pay someone else to chop it for you, then a sporty would be better than the rest of these in my opinion, unless money is at the top of the list of things limiting your choices......in the end if it's your first ride you're going to want to upgrade soon anyhow!

heretic530
10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
One thing I am surprised that no one has mentioned... Inline 4 engines, in choppers, are sloowwww in corners. The old Honda CBs and kawi KZs sat so high you got a nose bleed from elevation every time you swung a leg over one. That is because the engines were very wide, so they had to place them higher in the frame, to keep the side covers from dragging in corners. The engine were fast, at that time, but when someone put them in a frame with a low center of gravity, turning radius suffered.
That is part of the reason sportsters and triumphs werw so popular for chops. They were narrow, so you could get the engine really low, and still lean the bike

Deaver
10-07-2012, 12:48 PM
This is a learning experience for me and there are a lot of things I admit I don't know and/or understand. @bwagner money is an issue as this is a hobby and something I'm learning on so I'm not looking to put my family in the poor house. But I appreciate the thought. And @heretic I'd never even thought about any of that. Thanks. I'm looking for a local and a #1 too. Hope to have pics sooner than later.

Gnarly
10-07-2012, 1:07 PM
One thing I am surprised that no one has mentioned... Inline 4 engines, in choppers, are sloowwww in corners. The old Honda CBs and kawi KZs sat so high you got a nose bleed from elevation every time you swung a leg over one. That is because the engines were very wide, so they had to place them higher in the frame, to keep the side covers from dragging in corners. The engine were fast, at that time, but when someone put them in a frame with a low center of gravity, turning radius suffered.
That is part of the reason sportsters and triumphs werw so popular for chops. They were narrow, so you could get the engine really low, and still lean the bike

I dont think most choppers will be put in a situation that they will be dragging the engine cases before the foot pegs? My bike is much narrower than old in line fours but I did have both a gs 850 and 550 neither experienced the issue you are talking about. I can see if you were running oddly high mid pegs and really laying it over in corners.

RedRooster
10-07-2012, 1:08 PM
Big fellah would fit a shovel 1200.
Why not take that route.?
So much great inspiration in the pic thread from Japan.
Dunno about pricerange in the US, and it fits the budget, but imo thats a fat ass bike to go with.!