PDA

View Full Version : 77 kz help??

vonZOMBIE
01-24-2010, 9:04 PM
Hi,
I picked up a 77 kz500 all chopped up awhile ago and I'm trying to make this thing go again...
I'm new so this could be a dumb question.
Check out the pick of the petcock on the old tank, it has two lines and I want to switch out the tank. Can I get any tank and switch this over? Can I buy a new "double line" petcock and install it on any tank?

thanks for the help.

Brandon
01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Trace them down. One is your fuel line, the other should be a vent line. You can change your tank with no issues.

vonZOMBIE
01-25-2010, 7:19 AM
They both go to a carb, would in need to get a new petcock?

CHEN
01-25-2010, 7:49 AM
You may be able to use a regular petcock and buy a brass fitting that splits the line in two and goes to the two different inlets on the carbs. Thats how I run the gas line on my 750....I think this should work; unless gas doesn't get to the float bowls quick enough...but thats never been a problem for me, so you should be ok

billybiltit
01-25-2010, 7:56 AM
do they both have fuel in them.
does it look like they both go to the same spots on the carbs?as in feeding fuel into a common rail looking deal.
i am thinking that one of them prolly goes to the throat of the carb to get vacuum.and that you have a vacuum operated diaphragm in the petcock.if so you should be able to block off the vacuum and run whatever one line petcock you choose.
you can get around it one way or another.check it out and report back,pics of the connections on the carbs would help.

leon

WOMPY
01-25-2010, 9:56 AM
Correct Leon, these vacuum style or "prime-style" petcocks have two lines, one going between carbs 1 and 2 which should be capped if running a regular petcock so not to create a vacuum leak. Check out tech at http://wgcarbs.com

vonZOMBIE
01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Both lines have fuel going to each carb, I can only use 1 and cap the other??

billybiltit
01-25-2010, 11:04 AM
is this bike a twin?
if they both have fuel you need to use a tee if you are going to a single outlet petcock.
yamaha banshees use a nice little steel tee if you can't find one somewhere else.

leon

vonZOMBIE
01-25-2010, 5:17 PM
Here is a pic of the carbs and another of under the tank... if I use the tee I'm good to go with any tank? Any certain place I could pick the tee up?

alfonso
01-25-2010, 5:45 PM
Any chance of some more pics of the bike? Looks kinda funky and I'm doing a kz750twin right now.... Thanks!
Was this....

vonZOMBIE
01-25-2010, 7:03 PM
Here is what it looked like when I bought it. Sketchy frame work so we're of course re-doing the frame...

alfonso
01-26-2010, 3:46 AM
Excellent. Keep us updated and the photos coming.... Whats your plans with the frame? If you're swapping tanks does yours have all that nasty shit framework under the tank like mine?

billybiltit
01-26-2010, 8:41 AM
here is a link to a place you probably need to know about.they are very good people to work with and very helpful if you call and need info.this should link to the page with all the fuel tees and inline shutoffs and stuff,hth.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KPCF0

you will have to go to page 4 at the bottom of the page to find the tee's

leon

billybiltit
01-26-2010, 8:49 AM
on page 5 they also show some petcocks that have 1 outlet and should fit your metric bung on your tank.

leon

vonZOMBIE
01-26-2010, 9:27 AM
to do a new tank I'll probably need to go with a new petcock and get a tee then?

vonZOMBIE
01-26-2010, 9:31 AM
I want to get this from low brow...

These 2.2 gallon Mustang tanks are great, nice and small with classic lines. These tanks measure 16-1/2" long (17" long center to center on mounting tabs), 9" wide and 7" deep. The tunnel measures 2-1/4" wide x 2-1/2" deep and features both a front and rear mounting tabs.

The dual cap Mustang tank has one functional filler, the other is a dummy. Included with your tank are two new chrome gas caps and a single 3/8" NPT petcock.

Probably get this then just get the tee?

billybiltit
01-26-2010, 9:55 AM
does your frame have the three tube backbone?

leon

vonZOMBIE
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
the top tube bends down to the next two tubes so I'd say yeah?

Brandon
01-26-2010, 2:56 PM
Justs a heads up. With the cross bars that run under your backbone putting a smaller tank sometimes doesnt look all that good. Maybe before you spend the loot on a tank, borrow a sporty tank or a smaller tank from someone and see if you can live with the way it looks. Just my opinion........

alfonso
01-26-2010, 4:07 PM
That's why I was askin if you had all that nasty frame shit up under your tank.... your tank most likely has a really huge wide tunnel / space underneath to deal with the dreaded Kawi 3 bar frame....

I tried dropping triumph tank on mine with a standard tunnel and it looks... well... shite! Sits up on top like the hunchback's hump... Not cool.

Currently building up the nuts to cut the 3 bar shit out and make a single wishbone frame affair....well actually right now I'm not doing anything as I have a broken wrist and am in a bastard cast for another 4 weeks.

vonZOMBIE
01-26-2010, 8:30 PM
Here's a pic of the frame. The back half is getting cut off this weekend. I can return the tank if it doesn't look good so that's nice. I'll toss on another pic as soon as i get the tank...let's hope it works out....!

alfonso
01-27-2010, 6:40 AM
Ahhh you lucky swine..... don't know what model that is, must be because it's early, but it's got a nicer frame than mine!! Will get a photo of my monstrosity on here later so you can see what I was talking about.

billybiltit
01-27-2010, 9:24 AM
can't get much cleaner on the front of the frame than that single tube.
what size is this bike?
i have never heard of a kz500 twin,just curious.

leon

turtle
01-27-2010, 2:55 PM
sx 650 yamaha will work

alfonso
01-27-2010, 3:04 PM
sx 650 yamaha will work

XS? You mean frame or tank Turtle?

vonZOMBIE
01-27-2010, 7:02 PM
I'm thinking the tank will work. I should have it tomorrow, I'll mock it up and get a photo. I'm pretty sure it's a 1977 kz 500, now I'm a litle curious though...

alfonso
01-28-2010, 5:44 AM
Yeah. Me too. kz550 twin?

This is the z750 frame I have..... as you can see it's got some pretty funky frame work going on.

Bought a kawa GT550 Z550 frame (on the right) and gonna make something decent from the two. Just don't know whether to go hard tail or bratsyle....

Rich
01-28-2010, 8:03 AM
They are CV vacume CARBS and need Vacume to run . So you need the same style petcock or change out CARBS to mechical carbs.

vonZOMBIE
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
So I'm not good to go with the single petcock and a tee?

WOMPY
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
If you haven't talked to Jeff at z1 enterprises (great guy) do so.
If you do need to retain your on-prime-off type petcock and do not want to change carbs you can buy or make an adaptor plate and weld that to the bottom of your tank. Do a search on http://kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=116or http://www.wgcarbs.com/forum/index.php

vonZOMBIE
01-28-2010, 6:24 PM
easy job to just switch to the old petcock then?

vonZOMBIE
01-28-2010, 6:25 PM
another dumb question... can I just simply switch to a 21" front wheel. Anything I need to do special??

revmike
01-28-2010, 7:57 PM
another dumb question... can I just simply switch to a 21" front wheel. Anything I need to do special??
Possibly where the fender fits/clearance - if you run one. Speedo, if you run one. You can prob get a front wheel with the speedo and cable on the hub at a parts/junk yard. It will change the geometry (and the stance) a bit depending on what it's running now, 19 inch prob?

~Rev Mike

justin666
01-28-2010, 8:05 PM
Possibly where the fender fits/clearance - if you run one. Speedo, if you run one. You can prob get a front wheel with the speedo and cable on the hub at a parts/junk yard. It will change the geometry (and the stance) a bit depending on what it's running now, 19 inch prob?

~Rev Mike

just grind those fork legs smooth and get rid of that speedo and 21 should work... just depends on the hub spacing and how big a tire you wanna run. as long as it aint hittin the frame, fuck it haha. it should be 19. ive got an 81 kz and its a 19 front. i dont think they changed much... the big thing would be finding a wheel with a hub that fits your fork. or atleast the hub then you could lace up a rim to it.

vonZOMBIE
01-28-2010, 8:13 PM
excellent. thanks... use the inside measurement of the fork?

justin666
01-28-2010, 8:18 PM
yeah, but you may have spacers too, like i know i've got the speedo on the left side that spaces my hub, and i a little spacer on the right side. so you could measure your old hub and figure out the width and then you'll know what ya need. or perhaps lace a 21 to the hub you have now?

vonZOMBIE
01-28-2010, 8:23 PM
another thing to add to the list...

justin666
01-28-2010, 8:26 PM
haha yeah, i just got done re choppin my kz650. its a bit newer than yours and youve got a 500? but if you have any other questions let me know! some stuff might be the same...and im always down to help.

vonZOMBIE
02-01-2010, 5:17 PM
Got the tank in today. I think it's a little too long... It's as far forward as I can get it and the bars will hit the side so I'll probably have to find something else. Anyone know a good fix for this??

Punkskalar
02-01-2010, 8:04 PM
Got the tank in today. I think it's a little too long... It's as far forward as I can get it and the bars will hit the side so I'll probably have to find something else. Anyone know a good fix for this??

Add soem material to the steering stop? how bad do they hit?

vonZOMBIE
02-01-2010, 8:10 PM
it's not that bad, I might go with some high and tight bars. If I go with drag bars I'm screwed but something else might work. We're going to extend the backbone and hope for the best...

vonZOMBIE
02-02-2010, 2:43 PM
It's a 77 kz400a... I'm not sure why I was thinking it was a 500...?