PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know anything about these forks

kromsucks
01-23-2010, 7:56 AM
i was told there old triumph forks they are seized up and i dont know what to do
do these just get held up by the springs or is there a hydraulic system too and how do i take them apart

kromsucks
01-23-2010, 7:57 AM
and whats the little finned thing on top

wllgmr
01-23-2010, 9:00 AM
take the axle out. i think there is a allen bolt under the fork that holds the lower on. once you get that off you will be able to take the internals apart. there is a big hex head on the top and bottom of the fork tube. now everything will come out. spring(s), damp rod, and a bunch of other things. keep em in the same order that they came out to make it easy to put them back together correctly. oh there might be a oil drain plug near the bottom that you will want to drain before you start.

TroopThrowback
01-23-2010, 10:29 AM
and whats the little finned thing on top

Zener Diode heat sink, circa 1968. Zener diode converted unused electrical current into heat and dissipated it through that cool looking heat sink. It was mounted under the headlight from the factory, where it could get a good breeze. Before that year, they were just big aluminum plates beside the battery box under the left side cover.

kromsucks
01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
what does it do

TroopThrowback
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
I edited my post, to tell you that answer.

gravelveins
01-23-2010, 11:20 PM
@krom
i'm thinking you're going to need a fork seal spanner to even get these apart.
the fork seal sits inside the chrome "cups" at the top of the lower fork body.
you've got to spin that loose to free the lower fork body from the actual fork tube.

should be two small opposing indentions on the chrome fork seal cups...thats where the fork seal spanner attaches to. put the bottom of the fork in a vice and use those big boy muscles cause you're gonna need em.
you can get the tool from lowbrow for the best price i've found anywhere...those dang spanners aren't cheap!