PDA

View Full Version : Do you balance your wheels.

Chris111
09-27-2012, 7:40 AM
I just out a new speedmaster on last night and took it for a test ride. I planned in taking it up to a local to have it balanced but now I'm debating. I can't say that it was giving vibrations and it wasn't hopping any. I'm debating if I should even spend the money.

I also noticed that the front tire (dunlop 402) that was in the wheel wasn't balanced either when I picked it up. Same deal with ride quality.

We're talking front mostly here. I'd balance the rear since there's a lot more rubber.

Opinions.

Ember
09-27-2012, 8:12 AM
I usually do not. I do true the rims, though. With tubes in the tires, seems that they never really balance correctly anyways. And I run a lower pressure in the rear.

Deadweight
09-27-2012, 8:24 AM
For my customers yes, for me not usually.

Blackbetty
09-27-2012, 8:33 AM
I just squirt some dynabeads in there and call it a day. My chop has NOS tires on it and they have dynabeads....run smooth and no vibes. I can go no hands at high speed.

Flatheadsoup
09-27-2012, 9:41 AM
On my bike everything seem fine, I mean naturally a ridged is going ride a little ruff. About a month ago one of my Buds told me my rear wheel was hopping down the road, but I couldn't feel a thing. So I took the wheel in and had it balanced. Back out on the road I can't believe the difference. So balance those puppies.

punkrod
09-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I balance mine. For the most part, you can get away with it but it really makes a difference when you're ridin dirty in the triple digits. It generally makes the tires last a little bit longer too.

ThePete
09-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I just squirt some dynabeads in there and call it a day. My chop has NOS tires on it and they have dynabeads....run smooth and no vibes. I can go no hands at high speed.

I've been very curious about those dyna beads, seem like a sound idea especially for my trail rig, I've gotten my tires balanced only to tear off a weight while wheeling and have to go get it done again. A couple years ago we did a trip out to Anza Borego and I must have knocked one of those stick on weights loose and it must have come off a week or so later but I was deployed so I wouldn't have known. My wife drove the truck like this for 7 months or so and really messed up both the shocks and the fairly new tires. I debated getting them with this last set of tires on my bike, and I'm thinking about getting them on my old 4Runner but wanted to hear what someone had to say about them first hand before I did. Last weekend we did a little trail running and I tore up one of the tires a little bit and can tell I need to rebalance them again now.

muttblbc
09-27-2012, 10:45 AM
For my customers yes, for me not usually.

+1 it really doesnt make much of a difference until you start getting up into the triple digets

BillyT
09-27-2012, 10:47 AM
I tired dyna beads on my honda and couldn't really tell a difference... But that bike had 30 year old spoked wheels too.

My Sporty doesn't have any weights on the wheels. When I had a mirror, it would vibrate pretty badly on the freeway, ultimately to the point that it broke off, but my hands, on the bars, feel fine... Might try dyna beads in these, no tubes, cast wheels... can't hurt.

Blackbetty
09-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I think a lot of it is also ensuring the bead of the tire is fully seated. I know this sounds like common sense, but I've discovered the best place to check first when there's a hop is the bead and if it's evenly seated to the rim.

Had a hell of a time getting an avon on a 19" front mag. Had to keep filling and deflating while adding lube for this one small 2" section of stubborn bead to finally pop.

rooster52478
09-27-2012, 2:04 PM
I balance mine and I have a friend that just used the beads on some of those fat spoke wheels. He had bad vibes and now he doesn't so I'd say they work. As far as mine balanced wheels go, I lost a couple weights somewhere on the way. I didn't know it until I got a tire changed and they re-balanced it. Huge difference. I went from being able to ride with no hands before, to shitty ass scary wobble when I lost the weights, and then back to no handed with the re-balance. I wouldn't have guessed I lost weights and even less so figured it would cause so much vibration.

inkedmonkey
09-27-2012, 2:26 PM
I've never run the beads on my bikes, but I do have them in the Firestones on my 54 Buick. Crazy difference!

kopcicle
09-27-2012, 3:21 PM
I balance everything . I'll even temporary balance then move the weights to the inside of the tire for customs and such . A bigger issue and no less important is how round is the tire/wheel ?
I mount , balance and ride a few before taking the wheel/tire off and seeing if it's out of round .
If only a small bit out of round I'll trim/turn/shave/remove until it's round . If it's out of round a bunch (something I'll usually catch during the balance operation) I'll shift the tire around on the rim as well as check the rim for true and out of round . You may think that any removal of tread is taking away from the mileage of the tire . My experience is just the oposite . I get a smoother longer lasting ride from tires that I balance and true than if I just throw thm on the rim . One last thing . Dyna beads ? Really ? Next thing you know you won't be changing your own oil ....

~kop

Gnarly
09-27-2012, 4:17 PM
I'm running shinko mt90s and I did not balance them....I've also had my bike up to 120 for about 2 miles and didn't notice anything

andri
09-27-2012, 6:22 PM
I balanced my Firestone rear, but not the front Speedmaster. Dont feel any vibrations at all.

Don't really ride much in triple digits anyways because of bad roads up here.

playtheblues1
09-27-2012, 7:12 PM
Dyna beads work great for me!

Bill in SC

Jared
09-27-2012, 7:22 PM
Just balance your damn wheels.

Phail
09-27-2012, 7:47 PM
I've used BBs in my offroad tires for years. Work great. On my bike I'm using some led shot. Seems to work fine.

I asked a tire guy the other day and he didn't like the beads at all. Tried to tell me they work by static electricity. Lol. I think tire guys just want the balancing money.

Never had a problem with beads.

Chris111
09-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Interesting topic....I'm not familiar with the beads that you guys are talking about either. I assume they are loose beads inside a tubeless tire?

I've put about 80 miles or so on it now and I don't think it's giving me trouble. I haven't had it over 65 or so yet though.

kopcicle
09-28-2012, 6:17 AM
Just balance your damn wheels.

Just ...

~kop

Comb2
09-28-2012, 6:23 AM
I put new tires on my rigid. Didn't balance either. The rear had weights from the time before. Front wheel nothing on it. At around 55 mph and up I'd get front tire hop. Took front off an but it on the balancer. It was perfect. Rode it some more and still had front wheel hop. Pulled over and stripped rear weights off and the front smoothed out

GO4TH
09-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Balance the wheels....Beads work o.k. but are more expensive and in most cases a bitch to put in.Besides....while the wheel is off the bike ....its a good time to inspect things like spokes ,wheel trueness,wheel bearings,and the like.

24Cycles
09-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Always

ARBY
09-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Yes. Always balance the wheels.

Stick
09-28-2012, 11:07 AM
yep always with beads

chopperjunkie73
09-28-2012, 12:42 PM
some i do some i dont never noticed much difference

TroyFab
09-28-2012, 7:55 PM
I always do....

billdozer
09-28-2012, 8:07 PM
Yes. But the sticky ones they put on mags seem to go missing.

otter
09-28-2012, 8:40 PM
Yep and I swear I notice a difference, but I may just be crazy.

Mucksavage
10-01-2012, 2:31 PM
I just found out that Cycle Gear will balance wheels for free. At least the one here in San Diego will. They do only use the stick on weights though.

ThePete
10-01-2012, 2:47 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with balancing my own wheels if I had the equipment at home or access to the equipment to do so. Its never really been an issue on my bike since I run spoked rims and the little weight that attaches to the spokes does a pretty good job of things. My old Toyota on the other hand it seems like about every other time we take it out and hit the trails needs to get it done again. I'm not doing any crazy off road rock climbing or anything like that and since its southern California its definately not mud from the trail. For the money I'm going to try the beads on the old 4Runner and see how it does. If it performs admirably then I'll think about using the beads with the next set of tires. So far 110mph (coming off a hill with the wind pushing when it was cold according to the stock speedo) and zero vibration issues running the spokie-doke weights so its kind of hard to justify putting them in a fairly new set of tires.

Buellbomb
10-01-2012, 4:03 PM
I always balnce them.

jamesgs4
10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I never balance mine, and never had any problems. I have been running an avon speedmaster front and shinko rear for years now, and replace them every spring.

Kb65
10-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I always balance them...easy to do...and doesn't take much time.....

mrkil
10-02-2012, 7:08 AM
I balance mine with beads.