PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a CB900C for my wife

lunchbox16
09-24-2012, 8:42 PM
awhile back a friend and customer traded me his 81 CB900C. It's pretty much stock and doesn't need much to get it running perfectly. the main reason i traded was because my wife wanted a bike. she is short, 5'2", she sat on the bike prior to the trade and she could touch the ground enough. the bike is fun as hell to ride a lot different then my harleys. i'd like to make the bike sit lower to maker her feel more in charge of this monster. it has the stock air suspension and its set to the lowest recommended psi.
i know i can just take air out of the front and rear, but is that really the best way to do it? i've read that you can use almost any rear shocks to replace the air shocks. also looking into a lower seat. any and all info is appreciated.

ProjectAllOver
09-24-2012, 9:35 PM
some people can take a few inches off by taking shaving down the seat cushion and reupolstering the seat. Im no pro, but at least that wont mess with the geometry of the rest to the bike.

03ACE
09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
I'd measure the distance of the shocks now, with no weight on it, and see if you can score a set of progressives that are an inch or so shorter with the right eye diameters (unless you can make your own bushings). Probably get it done for ~$150. That and some spacers and heavier weight oil (I like 30w) in the forks should do the trick. The seat shaving is a good idea, too. Not sure how yours is, but my wife is pretty particular about MC seats. If you shave it, make sure it is still plush :D

baelzbub
09-26-2012, 7:57 PM
Hey brutha - if you want it, I've got a stock CB900C seat. I'll send it to you just for the cost of shipping. It's pretty trashed -cover's torn up, but the pan is good & the foam's still decent. You could use it to build up a nice, low seat for your wife, and retain the stock seat in case you ever wanted to sell the bike.

Much kudos to your wife for wanting to ride that beast! I'm only 5'4" so I know where she's coming from. :cheersmate:

-Fran
Shipping from 80109

lunchbox16
09-26-2012, 9:03 PM
Hey brutha - if you want it, I've got a stock CB900C seat. I'll send it to you just for the cost of shipping. It's pretty trashed -cover's torn up, but the pan is good & the foam's still decent. You could use it to build up a nice, low seat for your wife, and retain the stock seat in case you ever wanted to sell the bike.

Much kudos to your wife for wanting to ride that beast! I'm only 5'4" so I know where she's coming from. :cheersmate:

-Fran
Shipping from 80109

Sir you are awesome. I'll take it.

baelzbub
09-27-2012, 6:41 AM
Happy to find someone who could use it!

I sent you a PM.

1lowdiesel
09-27-2012, 6:47 AM
Why not drop the forks down, then relocate the tops of the rear shocks. This way you can still get stock ride quality just with a lower stance.

baelzbub
09-28-2012, 9:01 AM
The cover's pretty trashed, but the foam is still there & the seat pan is in great shape with all mounting points intact.

Just an FYI; I just finished making a new seat and used a $20 exercise mat I bought at Wal*Mart (The Gold's Gym one) and the foam is great for making seats. Compresses just enough to be comfortable, but still gives good support. Bonus is that it's 5' long so you can mess up a few times and still have plenty left over!