PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Austin, What To Do/Eat?

xsjoel
09-23-2012, 3:46 PM
Well, I am not visiting, but my parents are going. They are pretty hip, pops as an old school Harley mechanic and they will be down for a few days, so I am wanting to know where should they go eat and what should they go see while they are down? Mainly the eats though. I appreciate it.

PUMPKINHEAD
09-23-2012, 6:54 PM
For a quick burger, on the style of In-N-Out with an Austin twist try P. Terry's. They have a few around the Austin area. (one more year till we get an In-N-Out :cool:)

For BBQ, County Line as mentioned above. If they feel like taking a cruise outside of Austin have them head to Taylor to Louie Mueller Barbecue.....real Texas BBQ IMO

For Mexican food it will vary. Alot of it is Tex-Mex style around here (obviously). Juan In A Million on East Cesar Chavez for breakfast tacos. El Patio on Guadalupe for enchiladas. Dos Batos on Anderson Lane for some damn good wood fired tacos. Guero's has some good food as well, plus it's on South Congress....great place to check out some bands and people watch on a Friday or Saturday night.

Speaking of South Congress, Home Slice Pizza has some great NY Style pies. But for real authentic pizza have them head to Dom's Pizza in Cedar Park. Pizza and calzones are the best in Texas!

There's also some great trailer food in downtown Austin as well.

xsjoel
09-23-2012, 7:05 PM
Hell yeah, thanks Pumpkinhead. Anyone else feel free to chime in. Good authentic Mexican food would hit the spot, our Mexican places out here suck dick. And no TexMex.

PUMPKINHEAD
09-23-2012, 7:09 PM
Hell yeah, thanks Pumpkinhead. Anyone else feel free to chime in. Good authentic Mexican food would hit the spot, our Mexican places out here suck dick. And no TexMex.

No problem. I'm still on the hunt for authentic Mexican food like I had on the west coast. If you don't mind me asking, when will they be out this way? Might be able to throw out some suggestions for things to do.

xsjoel
09-23-2012, 7:13 PM
No problem. I'm still on the hunt for authentic Mexican food like I had on the west coast. If you don't mind me asking, when will they be out this way? Might be able to throw out some suggestions for things to do.

Around October 4th through 7th. I moved to Mississippi from Florida and left an awesome dirty Mexican place. Miss it like crazy.

PUMPKINHEAD
09-23-2012, 7:20 PM
Yep, I know what you mean about the hole in the wall place.....miss the one I went to for burritos and tacos.

If your pops digs hot rods as well have them head up to Louie Muellers on the 5th or 6th. The Day of the Drags in Little River, about 1/2 outside of Taylor wil be going on......it's a fucking blast! A good handful of bikes usually show up as well. I'll be there on my bike or in my '60 F100

AngryJohnny
09-23-2012, 11:56 PM
I used to really dig Artz Ribs, but the last time I was there it was pretty mediocre. So no point in that anymore. Theres so much great BBQ around those parts that mediocre just don't cut it.

If your folks wanna get some breakfast tell them they HAVE to go to Kerbey Lane Cafe. They have GREAT breakfast.. and ya gotta try the pancakes. I'm not a big pancake eater, but man!.. their ginger pancakes are just awesome!.. get that with a big omellette or something, and some coffee, and you are golden!

I've only been to the one on South Lamar. They moved sometime in the last year to their current location on South Lamar.. their first location was also on South Lamar, & was really cool & kitchy.. very "dineresque".. like the old timey retro diners of yesteryear.

Their new location is a little further south on Lamar is a little nicer & larger, but doesn't have as much of that kitchy diner feel as the old location. Even so, it's still a great place to have a delicious breakfast & do a little people watching while you eat.
It being Austin, you get a very mixed and ecclectic crowd in there.. from straight laced to slacker freaks.. and it all just jives nicely... just like Austin does.

https://www.kerbeylanecafe.com/

TyArlo
09-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Your old man is an old school Harley mechanic, huh? Tell him to hit up Bud's (old school) bike shop.

I agree South Congress, Home Slice is good. Also, hit up the roach coaches.

AngryJohnny
09-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah Homeslice pizza is really good NY style pizza, but the place is tiny inside, and always hopping, so you're lucky if you get a place to sit.. and if you do get to sit down inside, its more of a tiny counter than a table.. that or a literal 12" deep counter along the wall where you sit and face the wall.

It's more of a take-out place, or a "grab a slice and a beer & mill about outside with your homies" type place. The "More Homeslice" right next door to it has bands out back so there's folks hanging out outside & drinking beer, and whatnot. If they go when the weather pleasant, & isn't hot as hell, they can sit at the tables out front and eat fairly casually, but if they are wanting a sit down type experience, Homeslice will seem like too much of a hassle to them....but it is a good pizza.

http://homeslicepizza.com/

xsjoel
09-24-2012, 3:19 PM
Your old man is an old school Harley mechanic, huh? Tell him to hit up Bud's (old school) bike shop.

I agree South Congress, Home Slice is good. Also, hit up the roach coaches.

Yeah, he was at the factory in 82 or 83 for training, worked on shovels and ironheads and some of the new (at the time) evos. He isn't a big fan of them though to be honest, he will build them or fix them, but then it's time to sell.

Kerbey Lane, got it. They fucking love breakfast. And Home Slice, I will get them to check that out.