PDA

View Full Version : Out of country sale question.

ARBY
09-23-2012, 8:23 AM
How much of a pain in the ass is it to sell a bike to a buyer in another country?

Beefdrippings
09-23-2012, 8:50 AM
In this part of Canada alot of guys buy bikes from the US.The seller
has to fax the state govt the bike details in a form you can download.
They just want to know its not stolen before it leaves.Dont know about
other people's experience though.

Knuckleduster
09-23-2012, 8:55 AM
I may just be paranoid, but It could be a big pain with exporting (possibly even a scam) as you'll be dealing with a shipping company(a 3rd party), and the buyer will have to deal with customs & VAT and all the crap they have to deal with. I do know that several of the guys on TOL(Triples Online,the other forum I regularly visit that is a fairly serious board) who are in Europe have bought and re imported old triples. So international sales do happen, but then again scams happen too. For example there is a Triple scam on Ebay regularly, the guys over at TOL are excellent in spotting it out EVERY time, the scam artist posts it up. I'm just saying, scam's can work either way, be careful man.

Example of a scam artist that is SELLING, they get your credit card # ,you never get said item, they rack up your card.
Example of a scam artist BUYING, They make payment, you send out item, they receive item, and then stop payment, or they initiate the stop payment process while the item is still in transit. They get the item, and their money.
Or even yet worse, they just pay with a stolen card #, Be very careful !

Beefdrippings
09-23-2012, 9:04 AM
I don't get the scam aspect here.If you haven't got the money,why would you
ship someone the bike?I just woke up so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious
here.

Gnarly
09-23-2012, 9:11 AM
I don't get the scam aspect here.If you haven't got the money,why would you
ship someone the bike?I just woke up so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious
here.

If you go through PayPal all he buyer has to say is that he never received the item or the item was not what they paid for and the seller is forced to return the money to the buyer. I got ripped of on a Xbox that way. They bought it...sent me the money PayPal. I shipped it and 2 weeks later I got a email telling me there was a problem and the buyer never got the item. I tried to reach the buyer and they never replied back. I had the 200 removed from my PayPal. I looked it up on Google and its a common scam.

Beefdrippings
09-23-2012, 9:22 AM
Well maybe someone who's actually done it will chime in,but
if you're shipping such a big expensive thing wouldn't
you get a tracking number?Im not trying to be a douche
I'm just trying to provide all angles for Arby.Like I said I've
never done it but plenty of people do and maybe they'll
give their two cents

Gnarly
09-23-2012, 9:27 AM
Well maybe someone who's actually done it will chime in,but
if you're shipping such a big expensive thing wouldn't
you get a tracking number?Im not trying to be a douche
I'm just trying to provide all angles for Arby.Like I said I've
never done it but plenty of people do and maybe they'll
give their two cents

I know a Xbox isn't a bike but yeah I did have a tracking number and it said it was delivered. I tried to contact USPS and make a claim but they claimed it was shipped to the proper location and there was nothing they can do. PayPal didn't even flinch. They don't put as much time and effort into the investigation as you would think...they just do it and forget about it.

Beefdrippings
09-23-2012, 9:35 AM
Well if you shipped it to the address given I'd have to say
that's horseshit treatment.Did you give PP the info from
USPS?Shitty.I see you're point.Being out $150(or whatever)
sucks but it's a little easier to take than thousands.

Gnarly
09-23-2012, 9:48 AM
Well if you shipped it to the address given I'd have to say
that's horseshit treatment.Did you give PP the info from
USPS?Shitty.I see you're point.Being out $150(or whatever)
sucks but it's a little easier to take than thousands.

Yeah but I can't confirm the buyer is the one who intercepted the package. From now on ship with delivery confirmation on eBay sales...hell I don't really eBay at all anymore.

motorlou
09-23-2012, 10:41 AM
i sold a bike to canada and one to japan. absolutely smooth as shit transactions. the guy in canada sent me an international money order which was drawn on a canadian bank which is a subsiduary of wells fargo. went to wells fargo and cashed it no problem. the one in japan sent me a money order from a bank located on the east coast of the U.S., new york? anyhow, cashed that one no problem. i might be naive but i ain't afraid to sell a bike to a foreigner. shit, till you have the cash in hand, no one is forcing you to give up the title/bike man, the ball is in your park.

ps. the buyer has the responsibility of arranging for pickup/delivery of the bike. the bikes i sold ended up being in my garage for about a month after the sale until the freight forwarders picked it up, they made me give them the title and sign a paper showing they picked it up. that was it, no sweat on my part at all.

andri
09-23-2012, 4:16 PM
It's not hard at all.

When we've done it it's straight forward. Buyer pays for the item, title is FedEx'd to the shipping company's office, a semi comes and pickes up the bike and deliveres it to the harbor.
Bike is then put in a container and sent on it's way. Title is then sent onwards to the buyer and all is accounted for wich makes it impossible for the buyer to scam his way through the whole deal.
Hasn't failed so far, with a bunch of bikes being shipped over.

Easy as pie.

RetroRob
09-23-2012, 5:57 PM
I sold a rat rod to Belgium

SyndicateChoppers
09-23-2012, 9:46 PM
The last bike that I just built I sold a few months ago to a buyer in Japan it was easy as hell to deal with
I made it clear that the bike or title etc was not leaving my shop till the bike was paid for in full.
Shipping arrangements were on the buyer I just told them to keep me informed as to what date they were coming to pick the bike up and I would make sure I was there

Do a thorough inspection with the shipping company when they pick the bike up this way if anything get claimed to be damaged during shipping its not on you.

I had a super easy transaction and I would do it again in a heartbeat

dont deal with paypal unless its for just a small deposit to hold the bike
make sure you get paid with a legit bank check, and wait for the money to clear before you let your bike leave your possession.

just be smart and if it starts going the whole thing of western union payments and weirdo stuff dont get involved

but if the buyer will stick with your terms of sale then you shouldnt have anything to worry about
I would do it again in a heartbeat

JimmyBK
09-24-2012, 12:14 PM
I know a Xbox isn't a bike but yeah I did have a tracking number and it said it was delivered. I tried to contact USPS and make a claim but they claimed it was shipped to the proper location and there was nothing they can do. PayPal didn't even flinch. They don't put as much time and effort into the investigation as you would think...they just do it and forget about it.

the tracking number doesn't really mean anything to them. You could put a tracking number on an empty box and send that to him. its super shitty, i have had this happen as well, luckily it was a small ticket item.