PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Kansas City KS area?

rustiepyles
09-23-2012, 8:14 AM
I'm in Mission Ks, anybody else here?

Evidence
09-23-2012, 8:28 AM
Im in Lenexa. Where do you usually ride?

rustiepyles
09-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Lately due to traveling a lot for work, I don't get to ride much. I spend most of my free time in the garage workin on my triumph drinkin beer. But I ride around Mission, Shawnee Mission area

Evidence
09-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Awesome, when the Triumph is finished we need to hook up and go for a ride...My sporty will be done by spring if everything pans out.

rustiepyles
09-23-2012, 12:07 PM
What year is your sporty?

Evidence
09-23-2012, 12:39 PM
2000..What about your Triumph?

rustiepyles
09-23-2012, 1:04 PM
78, If you had an ironhead I gotta buch a spare parts. But I don't think I got much EVO stuff

Evidence
09-24-2012, 9:04 AM
Do you still have your ironhead? What did you think of it? You can get them for dirt cheap it seems like, but ive heard horror stories about them.

rustiepyles
09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I have had several, I used to be a mechanic at St Joe Harley so I picked them up cheap off of customers. I dont have one anymore but given he chance to get one at a reasonable price I would love to have another. They are great bikes, but you have to be carefull cause you can quickly get in to deep (money) on one. Most of the horror stories you hear are from people who didnt know what they were doing but thought they did. Harley made them for around 30 years so parts are plentiful and cheap if you know where to look and they can do just about anything from chopper to flat track to willd hill climber and even cafe racers. If you want an old harley but dont wan to spend pan head money I would go the iron head route just dont pay to much for one cause you can get them in disrepair for around a grand or less.

Evidence
09-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Hmm, I thought about picking one up after the Evo was done.

Evidence
09-24-2012, 11:55 AM
BTW if you were a HD tech, do you do any side work ever? Im very mechanically inclined, but wiring scares the shit out of me...might end up needing to pay someone to give me a hand when the time comes.

rustiepyles
09-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Sure, I can help you wih your wiring I usaly just scrap the stock harnes when I build a bike. What are you doing to your sporty? I do lots of side work, dont generaly charge much. Especialy if you got parts to swap. Im always lookin for parts for the next project, whatever that might be. Also always lookin for the next project. How colse to wiring are you?

Evidence
09-24-2012, 1:18 PM
Im really not very close to wiring, my hard tail hasnt even come in yet. Ive got my oil tank, and im ordering my seat and battery tray sometime this week. Im trying to get everything in that needs to be welded to the frame so I can paint it before it gets too cold. After that its just a matter of getting all the parts in and throwing them on, then doing the wiring...

Do you or do you know anyone who welds? Seems like everyone I know welds but doesnt have a welder lol.

Also, im going to pull the whole bike apart down to the frame probably next week for when my hard tail gets in, and ill have a ton of parts that im not using...your more than welcome to come pick through them in trade for some wiring/welding help.

I plan on doing a bare bones wiring, just lights and ignition basically. No blinkers or any of that jazz...I want it to be very minimal for cleanliness.

rustiepyles
09-24-2012, 2:45 PM
I can weld, and I have a welder. A tig welder. and all the other shit that ya need like grinders cut off wheels vertical belt/disc sander and all that good stuff. And I have a mill, lathe and plasma cutter at work. So I can help ya out with what ever you need dude.

Evidence
09-24-2012, 2:50 PM
I think you might be my new hero lol. If you want you can pm me your number...ill probably be ready to start welding stuff in a couple weeks or so. I can shoot you a text and see what you would charge to get it all welded up and ready for paint...or you can come dig through my parts if you would rather do it that way.

jpstoney
12-05-2012, 9:31 PM
I seem to be quit a bit late, but I'm in the KC area. South of Gardner a little ways. I am getting ready to start an Ironhead build. I have done a TC and an EVO. Might be in need of pointers and riding buddies when done.
You guys still hittin this up?

TheWhiteDevil
11-02-2013, 9:07 AM
So im really late to this conversation, just finished my first bike,2nds just a motor wating for a fram and picking up a 3rd this next week. All kz's from 400cc - 1000cc

You guys still meet up ever?

DocterJohn
11-07-2013, 2:21 PM
Im in Merriam I mostly mess with Harleys but I have worked on quite a few Japanese bikes.

ulysseskcmo
11-11-2013, 3:13 PM
I live in Kansas City, MO and have a few buds I ride with but would be stoked to meet up with other folks!

TheWhiteDevil
12-04-2013, 2:22 PM
Its getting pretty cold. Rode Sat and Sunday and it was beautiful out... Im still workin some of the kinks out on the bike...like getting it tagged. Currently just run antique tags, eh...But im looking to make a trip up to like excelsior springs. Some beautiful roads up there off 291 and I cant wait for the next fair weathered day to go for it.

Evidence
12-05-2013, 6:14 AM
Im still around. I sold off the Sporty and now im working on a Dyna, but I will be ready to go when spring hits.

TheWhiteDevil
12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Im still around. I sold off the Sporty and now im working on a Dyna, but I will be ready to go when spring hits.

Shit by spring my second build will be done and hopefully my wife will be on it. Shes going stir crazy now, I have her bike half way built and shes about 6 mths pregnant so she cant ride it even if it was done ahaha. By spring we will be out for sure.

Weatherby
12-09-2013, 3:08 PM
I'm a little late to this thread. I live in Mission Kansas. Just put together a shovelhead last winter, and now working on a genny shovel. Anyone have engine parts for generator cases let me know.

thanks,

DroppinDeuces
12-23-2013, 1:44 AM
Im in the lawrence area. Ive got a 1999 sporty and a kawisaki project in the garage. I bought my back wheel off Evidence im pretty sure.

BurgBob
12-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm about 45 min from downtown KC into Missouri. Got a 600 VLX and a Sporty

TheWhiteDevil
12-23-2013, 3:47 PM
im in the market for a few odds n ends.. dirt bike pegs, rear fender for a kz chop. oh and a sheet of vegitable tanned leather ha. Any body looking for any local parts? I have a box of misc KZ parts, signals, fender supports, chrome rear fenders tail lights and more... ohand some CB gauges, mostly removed to chop 2 bikes but if you need any of those parts they are free if you pick up.

any body ride this last week, we had a few good days in the 50s that were great. took it out yesterday for some shits n giggles in snow.. nothing good came of it. no traction.

underdogg
01-03-2014, 9:40 AM
Glad some guys got this thread going again, I just found it too. I'm in Overland Park right off of Nall and 435. Ive got a 1.5 car shop at my apartment and working on a DOHC cb750 chop. My daily rider is '03 strutted Shadow. I moved up here a couple of years ago for school and now I'm done and have time to get out and ride, Shitty time of the year for free time, but we definitely need to get some guys together to do some riding when it warms up. I've got a buddy here in Leawood that rides a kz chop that I built for him and we are looking for some peeps and roads to ride...i also have some stock cb750 parts I need to get rid of and always looking for cool old parts or tools of any kind. Hit me up if there is anything cool happening this winter...I did just find out about the every wednesday night swap meet at The Man Cave (google it) and they are starting to have more cycle parts where its mostly been car parts up until recent
Brandon

Gunsix
01-04-2014, 2:17 AM
Any of you guys making plans to go to Just Kickers in Oklahoma? I'm closer to Wichita than kc but it would be a good rest stop for any of you to meet up with anyone else I get going with me.

Peace is a lie

TheWhiteDevil
01-04-2014, 9:12 AM
underdog you have any pics of said KZ chop?

underdogg
01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Any of you guys making plans to go to Just Kickers in Oklahoma? I'm closer to Wichita than kc but it would be a good rest stop for any of you to meet up with anyone else I get going with me.

Peace is a lie

I was planning on heading down there with a couple buddies and meeting up with another friend from Dallas. Where are you at? I'm from the wichita area and thought about making a stop there.

underdogg
01-04-2014, 11:50 PM
The black one is a kz650 and the sage one is a kz305. The 305 is ridden here around town by my buddy used to be in Roeland Park and now in Leawood.

Gunsix
01-05-2014, 2:43 AM
I live in eureka, about an hour east of Wichita on 54. If you want to hook up for the ride we can make it happen. My number is 620 757 9732. All we have planned for now is that we are going, and we will have our gear loaded in a chase truck with a trailer to help anyone out.

Peace is a lie

mullesaurus
01-13-2014, 2:44 PM
anyone ride yesterday? hellacious break in the weather. i'll be at the antique bike show and swap in lawrence feb 2nd. maybe see you guys there.

TheWhiteDevil
01-13-2014, 3:02 PM
I rode yesterday quite a bit. Having issue with my stator charging my batter though, and with the dyna ignition it has a tendency to drain that battery. hoping to have it fixed soon. Trying to decide if its the stator or something in my wiring.. sigh.

I know nothing of this swap/show in lawrence ... any info on it>?

mullesaurus
01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
this is all i know about the show:
http://lawrence.craigslist.org/mpo/4285656205.html

i'm running a dyna s on my sohc 750 with low impedence coils and it is a bit of a drain. if you're stator's fine i'd reccomend one of the solid state reg/rectifier combos from rick's. worked for me. way more consistent charging than a points unit.

TheWhiteDevil
01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Trying to figure out the stator. Not sure exactly how to test it yet. I replaced my regulator. Rec. With this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AFYGP9q . Will work on this week. Had a mild issue yesterday. Battery box brackets broke. Battery and box got ate by the chain killing the pos side resulting in losing all power and Damon near locking the tire up at like 50mph.... I believe it was caused by some mild fun riding off curbs as I leave work.

TheWhiteDevil
01-24-2014, 3:36 PM

i'm running a dyna s on my sohc 750 with low impedence coils and it is a bit of a drain. if you're stator's fine i'd reccomend one of the solid state reg/rectifier combos from rick's. worked for me. way more consistent charging than a points unit.

So whats the deal now? I see that sunday is a high of 30, but more important to me is the snow...
you still riding out or..?

TheWhiteDevil
01-27-2014, 2:52 PM

Ok For anyone wanting to ride to this from KC, The weather has raised to mid 40s as a high..that early in the morning it may be a bit chillier. We do however have a chase truck (ok its a GMC Yukon aka suburban) but have a 4x8 flat trailer should there be any issues plus plenty of room in the yukon should you need spare parts or end up buying anything from the swap.

Is anyone else interesed in riding out to this?