PDA

View Full Version : 73/74 rd350

BillySlicks
01-21-2010, 4:09 PM
Currently building an RD350.

Just finishing off the fresh rebuild on the motor. Things are coming together nicely, I was hoping you guys could lend some advice seeing as I am not very familiar with RDs.

I know Jap bikes and brit bikes well enough, but this autolube system is a a grey spot for me.
I see that a bunch of guys doing customs have ditched the oil tank and pump entirely. I'm assuming going with premix.

I have a few questions regarding the oiling system I guess. Seeing as I am building a street tracker/bobber thing here.....

What are the advantages/disadvantages of ditching the bag and autolube system?

Is it common to run an after market oil tank to eliminate the side covers but still run the autolube system?

also

Other than expansion chambers are there alternatives to the exhaust choices besides stock?

Any help comments would be very helpful and appreciated....

Punkskalar
01-21-2010, 5:13 PM
I'd just run premix myself. You could tap the oil bag for a petcock to keep extra 2 stroke oil in though, and just drain it into a cup or something in case you can't find any on the road.

I love these little bikes. Check ebay, you can sometimes find vintage Aftermarket exhaust which should really help wake that little motor up!

philbey
01-21-2010, 5:18 PM
like punkskalar said, you could probably find aftermarket exhausts. Expansion chambers are designed to use the exhaust back pulse to create the powerband on the two stroke, like a change in dynamic compression, so changing exhaust will change the tune of the motor.

Getting rid of them altogether will probably sap a lot of it's top end power.

BillySlicks
01-21-2010, 6:00 PM
I understand the dynamics of the exhaust system, and am very familiar with the concept of the expansion chamber because of my love of H1 and H2's.
It just seems that other than the DG ones and the odd 70's one that pops up on England's ebay there isn't a whole lot of choice.

Do you have any tips for tuning the carbs after the oil bag ditch and the addition of pod filters. I was thrown for a loop when I came across the throttle cable and it had a 3rd cable for the oil pump....

Punkskalar
01-21-2010, 6:06 PM
. I was thrown for a loop when I came across the throttle cable and it had a 3rd cable for the oil pump....

Just forget the oil pump, won't need it... don't hook it up/block it off...

bigdaddy
01-21-2010, 7:41 PM
i'm not planning on running mine with the oil pump because it is something else that might break later. i'd rather premix anyway. i'll probably use this for tearing up the streets in town with my buddies. i've seen a lot of guys use a single air filter that splits into two for the carbs. i think a lot of guys who race 'em use this setup. seems like i saw it on ebay for pretty cheap, but you might be able to fab one up too. i've seen guys runn other oil tanks. i've got an old horse mag around here somewhere that featured a smokeout bike that was an old rd in a honda frame. it was pretty nice. i'll see if i can find it. i bet there are other guys on here that know what article i'm talking about. let's see some pics!

BillySlicks
01-21-2010, 9:35 PM
is that the one that is almost entirely metal flake red. The tank frame, etc...
Cos I have looked at that but I wasn't aware that it was in a honda frame...

I'm not to worried about the pump braking seeing as the engine is a complete rebuild, new everything. Just the cases and the transmission are the only original pieces left in the engine now basically, everything else is either new or re-fabbed...

BillySlicks
01-21-2010, 9:36 PM
is that the one that is almost entirely metal flake red. The tank frame, etc...
Cos I have looked at that but I wasn't aware that it was in a honda frame...

I'm not to worried about the pump braking seeing as the engine is a complete rebuild, new everything. Just the cases and the transmission are the only original pieces left in the engine now basically, everything else is either new or re-fabbed...

Jashole
01-21-2010, 10:20 PM
ditch the oil pump bro!

Gepetto
01-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Chambers are the way to go on your RD, there is alot of different companys out there that still make exhaust for them,(Spec II and DG) are probably the best well known. As far as ditching the oil injection, I would leave it on, first though check the pump to see that it is working properly, then once you install it take your time and make sure you set the stroke properly!! The stroke is very important! You could make another oil tank for it that looks better than stock and fitt the race look you are going for. Also you might want to check out "USA 2 Strokers" it's a good fourm for 2 smokes, I got alot of good info for my rd there.

BillySlicks
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tip on the forum site...I've been off and on a couple of Forums, nothing to great all that helpful specifically.

bigdaddy
01-22-2010, 7:59 PM
yep, it's all flake red. i like it. slim built a pretty bad ass rd too, i think.

Gepetto
01-23-2010, 12:57 AM
check used books stores and swap meets also, there is usally some good old books that you can't find anymore on bikes. I've found some really killer old ass books with info that was no where to be found on the internet. Post some pics when you get the bike all done. I really need to get back on my rd soon, stupid me deciding to change up my triumph when there was nothing really wrong with it, when my rd is sitting there half built. good luck

BillySlicks
01-24-2010, 1:06 AM
Ive got progress pics, so I can throw 'em up and let you know which direction its heading for sure....

BillySlicks
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Hey guys,

I was hoping you could lend some advice on petcock/carb set-up on this little bastard of a bike.
I know the carbs are flat slides and I plan on running the Auto lube system, what I'm wondering right now is I'm mildly modifying the tank and am leaning towards running a standard british petcock with the standard on off setting. Will this have any adverse effect that you can think of?

I don't seem to see a problem with it, but before i go hacking out the old one and welding in a new bung for a new one it'd be nice to have some feedback