PDA

View Full Version : RD 400's

Gepetto
08-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I just picked up a basket case 77' rd 400 this week and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? It's ALL apart, so any thing I should look for, or upgrades I should do would be awesome. It came with 2 sets of barrels and heads, one set has brand new .50 over pistons and a fresh bore, so I am going to run them, the other is stock bore. Also I'm thinking of getting DG pipes cause it don't have the stock ones(the only thing missing that I have found so far)!!!

nocoast
08-08-2009, 8:47 AM
RD's are fun as hell. If you haven't already check out www.hvccycle.com - they'll have everything you need. If its all apart I would get all new seals and gaskets, 2 strokes hate airleaks. Also check the condition of the bearings. DG expansion chambers are great for the price.

Boylecomm
08-08-2009, 9:07 AM
An RD400 is on the short list for our next project. Maybe a build thread on yours I'd love to see how it goes.

BlueCollarMoto
08-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Just started a RD Group for anyone interested.
http://www.chopcult.com/group/32/

TemeculaTerry
08-08-2009, 11:46 AM
One of my faorite bike, Ie had a few and want another - sort of fast for the way they are set up though, fucking dangerous as all hell, which why it makes them fun at the same time.

elmo
08-31-2013, 9:52 PM
Www.2strokeworld.com

Hvccycle is great, I usually check them first. Economy cycle is my backup.

I have a 77 that I just got running. It was barn find, hadnt fired in years but it was all there.

Here's the problem, the clean survivors aren't worth that much. Restoring a basket may well exceed any money you'll get for it. You may be better ebaying parts and starting with different bike that's more together. Not to discourage you, but just do some math to make sure you aren't really disappointed and broke on the deal. Mines a money pit but I like the bike.

Clubman bars are coming off and tracker setup is going on mine.

Hit me up if you need pics of a assembled bike or whatever.

elmo
08-31-2013, 9:55 PM
Link to the group seems DOA.