PDA

View Full Version : Amal issues

Dustriumph
01-20-2010, 8:08 PM
I'm having some terrific fun trying to get my 66' 650 to behave.
Let me begin by stating that this is a pretty fresh motor ( under 2000 miles) NEW amal 930's and I'm a total fucking rookie.
Here is how my problem goes: My bike ran fine in colorado. Rode it up to northern wyoming and back with no trouble. Since then I've moved out to Portland Oregon. I rode my bike into the truck to move it out here. When I roll it out I've got one cylinder, the left, that won't run quite right. Pretty much only running on one. I can choke the left carb by hand (and I mean CHOKE. 90 percent covered on the carb throat) and when the carb suck a bit harder that cylinder catches for several rpm the craps out.
I've checked spark, got it strong on both sides.
Timing seems to be fine, no kick back whilst kick starting. Even only running on one cylinder as it is the bike still fires in 2 kicks.
I've thought of jetting but the other carb is running fine, nice chocolate plug coloring.
I pulled both carbs apart and they both have the same main jets (200's), same slides, same needles.
Today I took the carbs off and switched them side to side. Now my dead cylinder is on the right, so I can be fairly certain that my problem is in my carb and not somewhere else.
Now my issue is that i have pulled this carb apart several times already and cleaned it out. I've got air flow through the two little holes at the back of the carb body. There is not even any gas staining in the float bowels yet.
I've read a few tid bits here and there about the pilot jet getting gunked up but my carbs are new so that bit is blocked off.
Is there a way to clean it since it's internally metered?
Anyone else have any experience with their carb suddenly going to shit?
So gents, any ideas?
Better yet, anyone on here live in Portland that's good with Triumphs want to come over and help me out then have a laugh at me when it's something totally stupid I have over looked?

Triumphteer
01-21-2010, 12:19 AM
does it act better when you hold the tickler down? if so, sounds like it is gas starved a bit, adjust float heighth by heating and tapping the brass seat that the needle 'stops up' as it goes down. Tap it down just a hair and put it all back together. If still no good, try adjusting the air flow, that is the screw that goes in a 90 degree angle into the carb body. Screw it all the way in gently then back it off half a turn, this will cut the air flow and richen your mix, which is what you are doing by placing your hand over the intake. If still no good, then check for air leaks in the intake manifold, also the rubber hose that connects the two intakes that evens out the pressure. This hose is critical in the carbs equal operation.

good luck

Dustriumph
01-21-2010, 9:12 PM
Got it sorted out. I went into the pilot jet from the airflow side with a very small guitar string poked in and out a few times and got air flow through that hole coming out the bottom. Set the carb back up and fired off in two kicks.

TRUMPNUT
01-23-2010, 7:34 PM
Got it sorted out. I went into the pilot jet from the airflow side with a very small guitar string poked in and out a few times and got air flow through that hole coming out the bottom. Set the carb back up and fired off in two kicks.That is why I always remove the metering bush and just run a pilot jet .