PDA

View Full Version : Grinders

leadfootedkid
08-07-2009, 6:38 PM
My ol lady bought me what I thought was a decent ryobi angle grinder. I was able to use maybe 15 minutes on an old honda three wheeler frame before the damn motor in it blew up. Guess I will not be using there products again. Does anyone recommend another I should buy?

eliwolf6
08-07-2009, 6:45 PM
makita 4.5", ive got 2 of em, and they've lasted 4+ years so far,, im hard on em too..... ryobi bad

leadfootedkid
08-07-2009, 6:52 PM
yeah ryobi very bad then when I returned it the lady at home depot thought it was my fault the p.o.s failed so I had to argue with her to get my money back. But thanks man I will check the makitas out.

independentrider1
08-07-2009, 7:34 PM
I have 3 different ones one is ryobi and I use that the most. I have never had any problems with it. Maybe you just got a shit one. I do have this neat little jig that holds one of the grinders vertically and turns it into a small chopsaw. works good for small shit

lobstermobster
08-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I got a couple linear grinders and angle grinders from harbor freight. what ever is on sale or cheap. I know some people who say they blow out fast but ive used mine for over a year and its still working hard.

dhallilama
08-07-2009, 11:50 PM
^ i've been using the harbor freight 4 1/2" orange angle grinders for years. ~$14 on sale, they hold up quite well, use 'em way more than my $90 makita. the brushes are replaceable (and cost like $1), they're disposable if something worse happens, if they get stolen it's no big deal. have three with flap discs, one with a cut off wheel. one of them has been abused for going on 5 years now, and it sat outside in the rain for a year. still works fine (though does make some interesting noises).
say what you will about the place, but a few of their tools are great... this is one of 'em.

honkey84
08-08-2009, 7:32 AM
Metabo all the way!!!! Best dam grinder ever! I have the 6 1/2 model and it has never let me down. The only down side is that they are expensive, but it will be the last grinder you ever buy. We use them at work and the guys are not easy on them. Dewalts are crap. I burned up three of them when I was working in a fab shop, so stay away from them. I have heard that makitas are good for the price, but have never used one.

leadfootedkid
08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
What about some of the craftsman? I am partial to them for my hand tools and all my drills and stuff are though them and I have never had a problem with them.

RocksChops
08-08-2009, 1:34 PM
Dewalt is my preferance, I have two 4.5 inchers that I use everyday. My main grinder (cutting) is the paddle switch kind and my secondary (flap and sanding wheels) has the flip on switch.

I had another dewalt before and it lasted 5 full years and I used it literally almost everyday for a couple hours.

rustrocket84
08-08-2009, 4:03 PM
I just traveled from Oceanside to Minnesota with a Garmin Rhino held to my handlebars with some zip ties and an elastic/velcro strap. Worked well until I got into Hwy 14 in the Columbia River Gorge. Downside of GPS speedos is how open you are to the sky. But it worked very well other than a few tree covered areas

TOOL
08-09-2009, 7:52 AM
Second that on the dewalt. Usually on sale at the depot and have used from metal to cutting masonary pavers. AWESOME!

CabritoLoco
08-12-2009, 10:00 AM
x1 on the cheap harbor freight orange 4 1/2" grinder, i've had 2 of them that have seen some hard use over the last 2 years and still going strong, plus if you tear it up your only out $15.

and i'll echo what the other guy said, some of the stuff is crap, some is fairly good. just use your brain and check the tool out well when your standing in the store. if it looks cheap, it probably is.

Metalismo
08-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Milwaukee. Costs more but lasts and lasts. I've used Black and Decker, Dewalt and Makita and brought them all to their knees. My Milwaukee has been grinding weld daily for over two years without a hicup. I bought one that has 12amps of power and have yet to stall it even with 5inch cut-off wheels choping through thick material. If you need to depend on your power tools to make money then Milwaukee is the shit!

Isgro
08-12-2009, 4:45 PM
I've got a Hitachi 4.5" that has worked very well for me. I've done A LOT of grinding with it with no issues.

justin666
08-18-2009, 2:32 AM
makita 4.5", ive got 2 of em, and they've lasted 4+ years so far,, im hard on em too..... ryobi bad

+1 to makita

my lady got me one for my birthday
4.5 is great

NHMike
08-18-2009, 4:39 AM
I've got a full set of Ryobi Lithium power tools. Got a smokin deal on them when they came out. I think I paid 150 bucks for a sawzall, drill, flashlight and circular saw. I saw the grinders and was thinking about picking one up. I think they were around $40. The Lithium Batts last FOREVER. The only downfall, which I don't particularly see as one, is that when the battery IS finally dead, it's dead. Nothing. It goes from full bore to nothing in a matter of 1 second.

Tinman
08-18-2009, 5:12 AM
I've had my dewalt grinder for a while, but it crapped out on me here recently for no apparent reason, I HATE buying the same tool twice! Those shitty chicago ones are seeming more and more attractive!

smokey469
08-18-2009, 6:51 AM
I've been beating the hell outta my Harbor Freight one for almost 2 years now ith no problems at all.

mcdowell72
08-20-2009, 8:05 AM
i've been abusing a Bosch 4-1/2" for probably 5 years now (maybe more) and it still runs like brand new.

Fredo
08-20-2009, 8:06 AM
I use both Ryobi and the cheapo harbor frieght grinders. I havent had any trouble with either brand. I think you just got a bad one.

Spoke
08-20-2009, 9:02 AM
I have two so I don't have to keep changing the wheel from grinding to a cutting wheel. One is a craftsman and the other is from Harbor Freight. I payed $15.00 for the Harbor one 4 years ago and the only thing that went bad was the brushes and it even came with an extra set of those.

TGrant
08-20-2009, 2:34 PM
Buy a Baldor. Itll be your last.

djmfnk
08-20-2009, 3:49 PM
i have 2 makitas, i have had them for 4 or so years. the switches don't stay on by themselves any more, but the still work great. i saw a commercial for a fein grinder, it looks kick ass. i have a fein mag drill that is the shit, good german tools. http://www.media-office-gmbh.de/eMag_FEIN/USA_A20/index.html

KT
08-20-2009, 7:58 PM
I have two so I don't have to keep changing the wheel from grinding to a cutting wheel. One is a craftsman and the other is from Harbor Freight. I payed $15.00 for the Harbor one 4 years ago and the only thing that went bad was the brushes and it even came with an extra set of those.

HAHAHA I have 2 of the 4 inchers from HF I also have a mikita and a dwalt ...Funny thing is I find myslef using the HF cheapos more than the others .... I have done alot of metal work with those cheap bastards and they keep running ...Hell I burnt one up called em they said send it back I did 4 weeks later new grinder arrived only cost me to ship it to them .....Sometimes you can go cheap and get by just fine....

jason43
08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a Black and Decker POS from Wallyworld and its always worked great. I think the other ones we have are a Mikita and no name brand. We keep one with a cut off, one with sanding disks and one with a grinding wheel. That way we don't have to switch the disks so often.

I think you might have just had a faulty one...